“Very Pleased”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Norton
Boone, North Carolina
“Very Pleased”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We were staying in Norton for 3 nights and I checked all the hotels in the area. The reviews were awful for the rest, so we thought we would give Holiday Inn a try. We were very pleased. When we checked in, the manager said he was putting us on the back hall which was quiet. After seeing these reviews I now understand. It really was quiet. The rooms are nice, comfortable beds and very clean. We wanted a refrigerator, and they said they didn't have any rooms with one, but that they would bring us one! They actually carried one in from storage for us! The staff was very friendly and helpful.
I was pleased to find a guest laundry. We travel a lot and needed to wash clothes. Very nice.
Nice indoor pool and Exercise room as well, with six machines.
The only regret I have is that since they have the restaurant upstairs, they don't offer free breakfast. We have come to enjoy that with several other brands.
But, We will come back when in the area...FOR SURE!

Room Tip: Ask for the front near the parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have to be in the Norton area for business each month. This is the only hotel in which I would stay. The hotel is only a few years old and reasonably appointed. It is a busy place!! It was completely full for the entire two week period of time I was there earlier this month. It is not fancy, but very nice, especially it is in a city of only about 5000 people.

There was a good variety of guests- lots of families, business travelers, older folks, etc. Very safe area that is easy walking distance to five restaurants, including one in-house that has a decent selection and competitive prices. Also, a short/moderate drive to many other restaurants, such as fast food.

My room was comfortable, clean and usually quiet. The hotel is next to a working railroad track (this is coal country) so there is some train noise at times. I was never awakened by a train.

Front desk staff were very nice despite being constantly busy. Wes and Johnny were particularly helpful at the desk.

Pros: Clean and comfortable. Very convenient to highway, work shopping areas, hospitals and restaurants. I have read some negative reviews, but I didn't see or hear anyone complaining about the hotel while I was in the lobby during a fourteen day stay.
Cons: Parking lot is too small for a hotel this busy. Train noise a few times a day although this didn't bother me.

Room Tip: The front side of the hotel is supposed to be more quiet than the back
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank feldos52
Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

If your staying in this area it is adequate. Try to stay on the parking lot side that is closest to Park Ave to avoid the train tracts to the south or the road with the hill on the west side. Some rooms don't have baths just showers. Some but not all rooms have microwaves and refrigerators. Need to ask and if not happy and change rooms if available. Internet is good, but gym is very poor. Coffee maker is fair so by some instant if u like coffee. The rooms were cleaned well and the bed was comfortable. Restaurant is average and expensive but u can get discount if holiday inn member.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear ANVDOC,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I had business in Norton and brought my husband along. The hotel was packed with medical folks in town for RAM (Remote Access to Medical?). Even so, the staff was friendly and helpful. I was concerned it would be very noisy based on past reviews, so we had asked for a room in the front as suggested. No earplugs, and no unusual noise. The beds were clean and very comfy with ample puffy pillows. The hotel allowed us to check out a little late so my husband could wait for me to finish a meeting at 12:30.

We did not eat in the restaurant since we arrived after dinner, but we peeked in. It was quite attractive and smelled heavenly like fine dining. The in-room coffee maker was the kind I don't like that brews a single cup (but not like a Keurig), however, delicious coffee was available in the lobby so we didn't even use the in-room maker.

I would stay there again if I was traveling through the area. There is a CVS drugstore within walking distance behind the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room at the front of the hotel was quiet enough. Other reviewers recommended avoiding the back...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sally M
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Was travelling to Eastern KY for a funeral with my family - spouse, toddler, and dog. With the pet our options in the area were limited, but this hotel met and exceeded my expectations. Incredibly clean, all of the staff was very professional and friendly - even after my toddler developed a nasty stomach bug that required several linen emergencies, and conveniently located in both the downtown district and easy to get to shopping and restaurants in the area. There is not a continental breakfast, but there is a microwave for those who don't want to pay for the breakfast in the restaurant. The restaurant is fantastic and very friendly - great food (from burgers to entrees) and regional craft beers and wine are also featured. In a trip where the situation was tough enough this hotel made it all much more to bear.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My reservation at this hotel was arranged by others, and I never had an opportunity to check the reviews on this site. When I checked in, I was surprised to see a note with earplugs placed in the room. When I retired for the evening, I was still puzzled, as this was up until this point a very quiet hotel.

In the wee hours of the morning, I awakened to the sound of a surging truck engine. In my delirium, I assumed it was the garbage truck making an early pickup. At morning light, I realized that the noise was semi trucks attempting to climb the long hill just outside my side of the hotel. So yes, as others have reviewed, this can be noisy if you are on the "loud side".

The parking lot is too small, and you may find it filled with work trucks. Even so, the hotel had a pleasant atmosphere. Most business types accustomed to the "usual" Holiday Inn style will find this place falls short.

My complaints: musty shower curtain smell, very poor lighting in the room, particularly in the bathroom, the "desk" was simply a 30 inch square table with a chair. Very lame. The restaurant and bar appears to be an afterthought, hidden away on the top floor. The entrance to either is down a hallway, with various items stacked along the way, making it look like an abandoned floor.
It was 9:15pm, and the restaurant appeared closed (even the worker cleaning things up wasn't sure), so we headed to the bar, which we were told closed in 45 minutes. All the chairs at the bar were upside down and on the bar, and only one customer was there. We went elsewhere.

The good things: the hotel was clean, sleep quality was good except for the truck noise.

One general complaint about the brand: Who came up with the half sized, overstuffed pillows idea? Dumb. I like a soft, compressed pillow. None of the multitude of pillows provided comes even close to meeting my needs. All pillows are way too thick.

Room Tip: Get the side away from the street! Bring your own pillow unless you like having your head elevated...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank SGillinois
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear SGillinois,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am pleased to know that you found our hotel clean and rooms comfortable. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience the outside noise may have caused. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

I've stayed on this property three times. The first time I had the "quiet" side and the second the "loud side". I'm a sound sleeper so being woken up by trucks means they were loud. LOUD. Ask for the quiet side. Also, if you eat in the restaurant, they will bill your room, even when you ask them not to.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Idandart
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear Idandart,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by service you received from our hotel and the outside noise. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

I trust that the above issues will not deter you from choosing us as your hotel in the future.

IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norton
Days Inn Norton VA
BEST WESTERN Of Wise
The Inn at Wise
The Inn at Wise
#2 of 2 in Wise

Been to Holiday Inn Norton? Share your experiences!