“First review ever”

Holiday Inn Norton
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Norton
“First review ever”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have never written a review before. But the sad service I had here compelled me to write one. Terribly noisy, not because of the trucks,but because of other tenants. The "night crew" was unable to replace my "taken" do not disturb sign because it was "house keepings problem". Between the pool being down because it was full of shampoo, and the total lack of care of on duty staff, I will recommend everyone avoid this place.

• Stayed July 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear RGraham72,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are truly sorry for the conditions you experienced during your stay. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and rest assured, your input will be shared with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to this identified weakness and rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Connie D
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I will begin by saying this hotel is in a good location in town, very close to restaurants and convenience stores. The room was nice, clean, had a mini fridge and a large bathroom. The front desk staff was nice and helpful with any questions. However, the hallways have a very strong smoke odor. It was so strong I asked the front desk if there had been a fire in the hotel. The explanations as I understood them was that the smoking rooms are on one side, the nonsmoking on the others, and the halls tend to hold the smoke odor. Our room smelled fine, but the hall smell was almost too overwhelming. The hotel was also next to the railroad tracks and the trains are quite noisy, one came through around 7pm. You also cannot close the curtains, they are made for decoration, not functional. The lights in the town are quite bright and I would have liked to have been able to shut out the light at night. I will try the other area hotels before I stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Dan948,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the common areas of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Norton hotels

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Was a little worried by some of the reviews. However our stay was excellent. First the room was on second floor right by the highway near the stop light. Room was clean and nice with lots of room and a sofa and table and chairs. Could I hear the traffic? Yes, but we slept fine. I did hear the trucks about 5:30am but I went right back to sleep. I did not hear the train at all while asleep. My husband said he heard nothing all night. We would stay here again.
The restuarant was good and not a bad price. Sure not worth leaving when you could just go upstairs. The meatloaf is really good!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Room was not bad. Tv channels were not. Missing some sports channels like nbcs. Train runs right behind the hotel. To be fair i only heard it once but that was enough. Oddly enough the building did not have a holiday inn sign on it. It was a little confusing pulling up. Nice little town though not really any good restaurants. The restaurant in the hotel was as food as anything outside the hotel so easy to eat at the hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Aaron R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Aaron R,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased to note that your positive comments about our rooms and on-site restaurant. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. I am sorry about the noise and lack of signage in our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. We take all reviews very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Lera P
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel on business. The front desk staff was OK. Not overly welcoming. Room was clean and everything worked as advertised. Only issue I encountered was with the traffic noise that started around 5:30am. The hotel backs up to a fairly busy road so it can get noisy with trucks started and stopping - especially early in the AM. First time I've ever seen a hotel provide ear plugs in the room. So at least the hotel recognizes it is an issue and is trying to do something about it.

Room Tip: Request a room on the front side of the hotel overlooking the parking lot. This will reduce the nois...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear STLTravelDave,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs and expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your inconvenience with the noise. We take all feedback seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Comments : Hello, My partner is currently on a business trip here for two weeks in Norton, VA. On April 2, 2014 I arrived at the hotel to join my parnter for the remainder of his trip and have never been treated so rude at a Holiday Inn hotel branch. First, the hotel staff has a negative/non-helpful body language attitude about any/all accomadtions for the guest. Also, my parnter had informed the front desk of my arrival for that day and left instructions/permission that I was to recieve a room key at the time of my arrival(4-/2/14). The front desk did not request my name or a picture ID before turning a room key over to me as a guest. On April 4th,2014 me and my parnter were in the pool swimming and shortely after giving each other a non-sexual hug in the pool and holding each other, someone comes to the pool to look at us while we swim. Now, remember this was a non-sexual hug in the pool while there was no one else in the pool. If there had been children or even adults in the pool, both me and my partner do respect others beliefs. However, this does not mean we think or believe that we are second class with less deserving of equal rights. During Sunday evening(4-6-14)around 8:30pm, me, my parnter and the other female coworkers on this business trip were sitting by the pool having some pizza and was informed we could not have food around the pool. I understand this policy, however, why is it they didn't follow the policy about checking ID before turning over a key to me. Also, a female staff memeber came to the pool entrance door and peeked in as if we were making a bunch of noise, only to return with the manger to inform us we could not have food around the pool. Once again, I understand the policy and admit we over look the sign,however, I find it very rude/sneeky/juvenile for a staff member to peek on hotel guest as if they are doing something wild only to return standing behind the manger to inform us we could not have food by the pool. Why couldn't the female staff member inform us when she first saw us to begin with and not come back and stand behind the manger like she was incaapable to communicate with us as a knowledgeable staff member regarding the policy when she was peeking in the door in the first place. On April 7th, 2014, while my parnter was at work I was washing some clothes and had got in the pool to swim while the clothes were washing. A total of 10 mins had passed before a felmale with three children got in the pool to swim. I decide to get in the corner of the pool to give them more asscess of the pool so they could play. During this time, I was sitting on the steps in the pool resting as the kids were throwing balls back and forth in the pool. After, ten minutes I proceed out of the pool to go place the clothes in the dryer. Then I return to get back in the pool and rest on the pool steps while surfing the internet on my phone while the kids were playing in the pool. About ten minutes pass before the lady and the kids decide to leave the pool. I decide to remain sitting on the steps looking at my phone when a female staff member comes to the pool entrance door looking at me about 5 miinutes after the lady/children had left the pool. This made me feel quite uncomfortable as a guest. Later I went to fold my clothes and while folding the clothes another female staff member comes by the door and stares at me as if I not suppose to be in the laundry room. I leave the laundry room to cross the lobby to enter the elevators, only to have the same female staff member to stare at me the entire time as I cross the lobby to the elevators. I return to the room to grab the next load of clothes to wash and return downstairs to the laundry room. In five mintues, the hotel manger comes to the door to introduce herself and questions me about being in the pool. The manger whats to know if I was was in the pool early when the lady/kids were in the pool and if I know what occur in the pool to upset the lady. I inform her I was in the pool and I didn't know what occured due to the fact I had no verbal/physical/etc. interaction with the lady or the kids in the pool. Then the manger gives a suscpicious look at me as if she is withholding information from me about this incident that I clueless about and feel like I've been targeted for whatever reason. Then she proceeds to ask me what floor am I on, so that neither me or the other party will encounter each other after this incident. I inform her that was none of her business and the lady was not on my floor. At this moment, I realize the possibility of these events were stongly due to my sexual orientation. My reasoning behind this is, due to the fact that neither my parnter or the female coworkers statred having issues with the hotel staff until I arrived to join my parnter on this business trip. I have already contacted my lawyer and the ACLU about this incident. Currently, I have a time-share property at Orange Lakes, FL and a good standing RCI/IHG member. I am consdering of canceling my memberships and pursing legal action against all Hoilday Inn business.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Afterb
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Afterb,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your experience. We do take these claims very seriously and are glad to see you have been in contact with our Customer Care department. We have sent you an email to the address on record with additional information which should arrive shortly.

We look forward to being of further assistance.

Adrian D
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Front desk very helpful. Easy to find, walking distance to several restaurants. Busy little town just off the music highway. I will stay here again. Very clean and nice to have a fridge and a microwave.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norton
Comfort Inn
Best Western Of Wise
The Inn at Wise
The Inn at Wise
#2 of 2 in Wise

Been to Holiday Inn Norton? Share your experiences!