“Never too old to give it a go”

Eco Buggy & Camel Dunas
More attraction details
Owner description: Eco Buggy , Quad and Safari Camel. Fun and unforgettable safari among breathtaking landscapes. The standard Safari goes on the track between a series of six volcanoes – with a short break on the edge of a crater to shoot photos – to the Wild West looking area called ' Arizona' the through the lava fields it reaches the sand dunes of the Jable desert, and the high cliffs of Flag Beach in El Cotillo. The north shore is next, starting from the white sand beaches around the lagoons and the stunning black volcanic bays on the way to fisherman's village Majanicho. 45 minutes break half way for lunch (not included in the price) or to visit the town of El Cotillo. Road 3%, cross county 97%.Total Tour Time 4 hours. Also 2 hours and 2,5 hours with camel safari across the dunes of corralejo. This tour is availeble only by the electric eco buggy twizy.
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We had a four hour trip driving a dune buggy. We are over sixty and had a great time. Guide was great.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

So where do we start...
Background, I grew up on a farm so have been around ATV's since childhood right back to the early 80's and the old Honda ATC trikes!
Since then I've imported quads myself from the Far East to the UK for many years so I'm not exactly a stranger to quad bikes and off roading.

Anyway I'll stop waffling on and get down to the review.

We booked a 2 hour trip on the Monday and travelled up from Caleta de Fuste by car on the Friday for the trip/excursion and had mixed expectations as to what to expect. My other half has been on a similar excursion in the past in Egypt, but as for me even though I've grown up around ATV's I'd never been on a "holiday excursion" on quad bikes.

We were greeted and shown to our quad bikes and after a quick rundown of what to do and what not to do we set off in convoy. Our guide on a quad leading, two buggies, and me and my other half on quad bikes.

A short road trip to the outskirts of Corralejo and we hit gravel and hills which was pretty good, and continued off road to the base of the volcano and surrounding area. Lovely views, and so far so good. That's when it went downhill, and not the roadway we were driving on either.
The guide decided to let the buggies follow him which left us behind them and unable to see anything due to the amount of dust and grit that they threw up. Surely it would have been sensible to have the buggies follow the quads for this reason alone!

As we continued about 45 mins in we arrived at a pre planned stop which was obviously some kind of friend/family of the guide and greeted with roaming dogs, stinking donkeys and animal excrement everywhere! We were told that it was a 10 minute break so we declined photos with the stinky donkeys and the offer to buy any refreshments in the shop/lean to and waited by the quads for us to leave. 10 mins turned into 25 and we eventually moved on towards the coast again. This is where things went from bad to seriously worse.

One of the buggies broke down which left us both behind it and the guide and the lead buggie a good km up the road totally oblivious to what had happened. My other half went ahead to tell the guide and a short time later I followed. Half way up the road my quad lost all drive and just ground to a halt, I stopped and was stranded so had a look and knowing these quads very very well I knew immediately what had happened. The main drive in the gearbox had snapped and the quad was rendered useless. This is a common problem with kymco quads as they use the same generic engine and gearbox that all of the Taiwan/Chinese quads use, and if they aren't maintained properly they just fail time after time. The amount of warranty claims I had when I sold the very same quads for the same reason was astronomical and one of the reasons why I stopped selling ATV's!
Anyway, the guide obviously got the buggy running and came back to me. Spent 30 seconds looking at my quad and said we tow you, then magically produced a tow rope which he attached to my quad and my other halfs and told her to tow me then set off and left us!
So they all bomb off and we end up crawling along on tow. We then get to the coast and change to off road and the guide who has now stopped expects us to tow my quad over terrain and up and down hills, not exactly safe considering the brakes on any of these quads aren't exactly a1. Speaking of brakes, when we were greeted back at x quad hq and shown the quads, the chap there said they disconnect the footbrake because people wear them out. Alarm bells should have been ringing back then!
So we head off into the sand dunes and hills again on tow whilst the others have a fantastic time... Until the same buggy breaks down yet again and we have to wait for them to get it running again.. Admittedly that gave us time to catch up.

So we are now within spitting distance of Corralejo and can see the town and the chap from x quad hq turns up with another quad and we swap over, and the guide tows my broken quad in. So literally I have the last 10 mins on a running quad and have missed the majority of the tour because I was being towed.

We returned to x quad hq and the guide jumps off his quad and starts giving everyone high 5's and smiling and laughing. I can't say we felt the same enthusiasm and excitement after such an experience.

Literally feeling like I've just set fire to 4x €20 notes, I went into the office/shed to say how disappointed we both were and that we felt we deserved a refund as the trip was totally spoilt and ruined to which the chap deliberated then said you can have €15 euros back but you'll have to go down to the booking office down the other end of town and get some of that from them. Immediately expressing my discust, I decline and walk away to which he offers €20 instead which I don't even acknowledge and walk away with my other half in discust.

In a nutshell this is a shoddy, badly run, half baked kind of company that are using damaged and unsafe quads that regularly brake down.

My advice is read previous reviews with similar experiences and stay away. It'll no doubt end in tears!

16  Thank LouisVuittonFan
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We chose to do the four hour trip with some friends. We had opted for the buggy, and they for two 250cc Quads.

We arrived at 9:30 (ready for 10 start) to be told that the guide was still at Puerto del Rosario. So The chap offered us all a free drink over at the Cafe over the road. Very nice offer of them as he said we would be around 30 mins late leaving. We were very grateful of the offer.

At 10:30 we were called back over and the photographer offered for us the chance for pictures to be taken. €30 for the first vehicle and €10 thereafter for the group. We did want pictures so we paid. (Receive a disk the following morning which you can collect at the same start place).

The vehicles were in good condition considering the hammering they got daily but would have looked better if they just spent a short time fixing things like indicators lights and gears so that they worked!

Still the guide was not here nor answering his phone so we set off with the photographer and the mechanic instead. One of the quads was a little dodgy and the Lady on it had no experience so they went at a very steady pace which was fine and very considerate. We stopped for 2 sets of photographs whilst the photographer also burnt off ahead so he could capture some more shots of us driving by with great views behind the shots. They suggested the lady swap her quad with a more experienced rider to help.

The terrain was variable some rocky and bumpy, some was sandy and slippy. Very good fun and the sights were amazing.

We made it to el Cotillo and had been amazed at how much fun we had had.

We stopped for lunch (also a lovely place to stop had already driven here before)

At this point the Guide finally arrived and the other chap left.

The guide was obviously trying to make up time (which was his fault not any of us)

He was pushing people to go faster and faster than they could handle and the lady we had agreed to go with crashed into a bush. The guy told me to leave the buggy and take over I was happy to do this but the lady wanted to carry on as she had paid for the quad! Please bear in mind that we had been told the 4 hour trip was not a Rally or fast trip. This guy was pushing for them to ride at 40-50 kph according to the one speedo that actually worked on one quad???

He was also very rude to the lady. He kept stopping for her to catch up then telling her she had to swap with me calling me her son (funny as we were not related lol) in the end he swapped the group so I was at the back and the lady in front. Then he left with the rest of the group and photographer at speed and left us to try and keep up. Whilst I was able to the lady just couldn't manage it so we stayed with her in case she had any other problems.

This ruined our day to be honest as we felt very isolated in case there was a problem. They did wait at the Tarmac road ready to get back to the office but I am sure this was more so his boss didn't see him arrive minutes before us!

To recap I want to say I believe this was a one off and do not want the companies name to be ruined by one mans incompetence however I cannot give five stars that would otherwise have been given.

I hope the Management take note of this and re-evaluate the guides standards as we wanted to do the six hour a couple of days after on the big quads but were put off by the lack of respect for safety? I will reiterate that the other Chap and Photographer were amazing.

We only had two stops where they spoke about anything and that was the Photographer stepping in for the missing guide to explain which again we were very grateful to him.

I would love to see any comments the owners can give on the above.

6  Thank Honeywell-Trev
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We taken advice from previous reviewers as this company to go for as thee are so many to choose from the town centre!
On the day 11th Nov me and the mrs was greeted by the guild and the photographer. We decided to decline the photographer services as did the other couple and headed off 10minutes earlier due to is being a small group! This activity was for 4hours which flew by!
The guild he sensibly match our pace due to our abilities. As we gain confident he'd speeded up! The terrain was a mixture of road, dirt tracks, sand, gravel, high/low gradients!
The guild stopped at various point of interests and taken photos of us together using his local knowledge pointing the camera at different angles!
El Cotillo was a good stop off point for a break and coffee admiring the fishing village from the high point of the port!
Later the views around the lighthouse of the coastline was breathtaking using our buggy made the ride access able !
I highly recommend this activity from this company and I even tip the guild after for his kind camera work service!
Thanks for making our day enjoyable! Adam(boss)

2  Thank KwiYau