“Perfect relaxation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in Corralejo
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Perfect relaxation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

We visited the hotel from 28 May to 4 June 2014. For my wife and I the hotel was perfect.
The rooms are clean and if you are lucky enough to get a sea view looking towards Lanzarote along the sandy beach, the outlook is spectacular. Walks along the sandy beaches in both directions are rewarding, particularly to Corralego.
Food is exceptional. The specialist restaurant, available at no extra cost is worth a try.
The pool is a little chilly but just right to cool off after sun bathing. Facilities are tennis courts and a wellness centre which are high quality. However this is all there is and if you want music and games all day, this is not the hotel for you.
Evening entertainment is sedate, with a group for dancing and an occasional visiting act.
For couples wanting relaxation, it is perfect. However, it is not forfmilies.

3 Thank Adrian1951

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Loughborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I visited this Hotel 14-28 May 2014. We booked through our local Thomson shop as a change from the internet. We paid for a seaview room and on our behalf, Thomson requested: high floor, quiet, with a double bed. I emailed the Hotel Reception separately 3 weeks before our holiday requesting a suite upgrade quoting our RIU Diamond Card. When we arrived we had indeed been upgraded to a suite, sadly on the 2nd floor (out of 6 floors), directly above the entertainment and single beds. My wife went straight down to Reception to explain that the room was not satisfactory. Fortunately the next day we moved to a standard room on the 6th floor that was indeed quiet, shame still 2 single beds, waste of the Diamond Card upgrade.

Positives: Good food, friendly chefs and waiters. Room cleanliness was superb and the maids, as in most Hotels excellent. Pool/sunbed guys once again outstanding, always willing to help with mattresses/towels etc. Nothing to do with the Hotel but the beach is wonderful.

Negatives: I agree with the ealier reviewer about the jacuzzi, my wife refused to go in after seing babies in nappies with no rubber outer being taken in by parents. My wife did complain, as did several people we spoke to. Result? Yes, more babies!

Never really had anything to do with Reception apart from arrival and the room move, that is until nearing the end of our holiday. There seems to be a trend here as we had problems with late check out. Again using my RIU Card I requested a late check out, until approx 3.00pm, was told the Hotel is full we cannot provide. I questioned how the Hotel had so miraculously become full, as during our stay it seemed half empty, he agreed it was "nearly full", but no late check out available. I ended up pulling my RIU Card out and throwing it on the floor telling him it was a total waste of time and walked off, yes to be honest in a huff. Went up to our room, within I guess 5 mins my wife came up to say the Reception guy had been to see her and we had been given a late check out room. Why oh why did he make us go through those hoops instead of just saying yes we can give you one just give me a minute to sort it. A good friend of mine who is a Hotel Receptionist told me that the most important time for a Hotel to get a good/positive report is your last day and if that is wrong it can sour all that has gone previously, how true.

To sum up, we enjoyed our time at the Hotel, didn't use the entertainment as during our 1st night we heard it all from our bed and were not impressed! I am afraid I have to agree with many many other reviewers that Reception staff are not the best, unless you hand over your passport with money sticking out of it: yes saw it on 2 occasions. I class that as different to tipping, sorry but yes they were both Germans, bless. Having re-read my review I must point out that at no time did we have any personality clashes or issues with the Recpeption staff, it was simply that when we wanted something it all became too difficult.

Room Tip: Top floor (6th but lift only to 5th so steps), sea view, not suite as they are rubbish with a small...
5 Thank Blue072
Taplow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Excellent staff, very clean but sadly in need of an update. Pools freezing. Lift only goes to 5th floor we were on 6th. All beds on casters!!!! Room small. Evening entertainment dreadful. Not a place for families or people who want to enjoy evening nightlife. A taxi ride from town which is not worth visiting. Fabulous beaches but very windy.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a sea view with balcony but the room was small and a standard double bed which was...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank 100SarahL100
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just returned from riu palace, very relaxing, the beach fantastic with clear blue seas, hotel in lovely position. Very good choice of food and waiting staff we're very attentive. Rooms were very clean, and the view from the room was awesome towels changed every day. Now the down side to this holiday. Entertainment we'll what can I say duo on every night singing the same songs and a few theme nights but not much better. The day of the checkout reception staff were very rude and unhelpful, as my husband and I have special needs we asked several days in advance to be able to pay to keep our room on or have another room as we had an eight hour wait before we went to the airport all the reception said was no you can have a courtesy room but only for thirty minutes. On asking other guests they were allowed to keep their room. The rep did not help us at all with this problem, the last day really spoilt our holiday. Just more thing it has two jacuzzi clearly stating under sixteens strictly forbidden but rule was completely ignored and there were children in armbands and babies with dirty nappies, several guests complained but nothing was done.

Room Tip: Do not pay for a upgrade as nearly all rooms have sea view. Try to get a high floor room.
2 Thank JaneandRon2014
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

> Very clean rooms and well maintained pool and grounds
> Outstanding location, immaculate beach and crystal clear waters
> Pretty much all the staff were very attentive, polite and considerate
> As mentioned in other reviews, the clientele is largely retired couples, many of which were lovely people. This lent itself to a very relaxed, quiet atmosphere. We travelled as a young couple with child, and this did not bother us, but you did feel as if you needed to be mindful of the peaceful atmosphere surrounding the pool areas. Worth baring in mind if you're thinking of bringing kids which like to 'run wild'.
> Buffet food ranged from very good (roasts, some of the seafood, pistachio ice cream) to unpleasant (overcooked fish/squid, dodgy desserts)
> Food at the Krystal restaurant (a la carte) was disastrous barring the meat-based main courses which were very nice, I've never experienced such a variation between courses at a meal before. On the whole I would avoid though.
> Drinks priced OK, although 5.50 EUR for a fruit smoothie was rather steep. Remember to factor in drinks prices with your evening meal if you're budgeting to stay here. Not even water is provided for free at dinner service.
> Charge of 20 EUR for use of the in-room safe seemed excessive and unnecessary.
> We had some issues with drafty doors in our room but with some tinkering this could be eliminated. The wind if you were on the far side of the hotel was pretty loud at night, which could be an issue for light sleepers. That being said though, the view was fantastic.
> Entertainment was dull (sorry Paloma, but you just didn't do it for me) bar the superb Flamenco act on Spanish night.
> Free olives with your beer was always a welcome accompaniment.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Mike S
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Well what can I say !! I went to a Riu palace las Americas in Mexico and I can say it was the best hotel and service I've had.
The reason why I booked another Riu hotel
It is clearly not a 5 star hotel.
I booked via Thomson and requested a high floor with pool view as I did in Mexico.....
Did I get this NO. As checking in I noticed I was booked into room 205 which was obviously a low floor, looking around some elder guests would of preferred.
If your a young couple please be aware of this place as it is full of the older clientele. When I asked why I never had my request the receptionist rudely told me I should of emailed the hotel personally to request this.
It was very apparent around the pool this is what the Germans do. I stuck with the room I had as we all work hard and just wanted to chill out with no fuss
The entertainment is stuck in the 60's and was very repetitive.
I had a problem with my back and couldn't breath and all I wanted was a late check out. Again we got told No
Don't get me wrong we got a curtesy room.
But believe you me Antonio on reception said we had an hour. The vile receptionist rang the room and said you have had 40 minutes only It's to have a shower only
Mmmmm when you have a late flight and want a shower I don't expect a receptionist to ring the room
The female reception staff are the worst I have ever dealt with
And seriously need to have some more good customer care.
On a lighter note the food and service from the restaurant and pool bar was excellent.
If your a young couple be prepared it's a gorgeous hotel beautiful beaches but it's more like a retirement home and your female receptionists are vile for a 5 star.
Can I be bothered to complain.
Why bother.
I will stick to the carribean

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Langse
cumbria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

just got back from a great break at the tres isla Fuerteventura this hotel is great for chilling but I would just like to say that it is a lot of older generation not that this was a problem but if you are looking for a hotel with a bit more going on then this is not for you.

The rooms are lovely and spacious we had room 354 which has a great view over lobos and lanzarote if anything I would have in the room is a tea and coffee making facility also better hairdryer one that goes a bit faster and an iron, the food is very good and lots of choice if you would like to know anything more then please email me.

5 Thank gillybabe_9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corralejo
Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
#7 of 46 in Corralejo
Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tres Islas? Share your experiences!