“Fantastic hotel, would recommend to anyone”

Hotel Riu Palace Tres Islas
Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I came to the Riu Tres Islas with my boyfriend for a weeks stay and booked through Thompson on a package deal.

On arrival at the hotel we were greeting with cava and our suitcases were brought to our room for us. Disappointingly we were given a room with a view overlooking the carpark and not the sea. When we rang reception to see if we could change, they said we could upgrade for €40 a night, which we thought there would be no point for this expense.

The staff are very friendly and helpful if you need anything. However one thing that was irritating was that when we got to dinner that first evening, no one had told us you have an assigned table for the duration of your stay at dinner time. We were advised on arrival we had a 8.30pm sitting however were not told that you had to wait to be seated. This was rather embarassing having to be moved to another table after we had sat down. They should tell you this on check-in when they give you a seating time. There is also a 6.30pm seating time which we would not have been happy with as this is far too early for us.

The food is brilliant and we couldn't fault it. Plenty of choice and we had no complaints at all. Everyday we found something we liked. Lots of different pasta and sauces, salad, meats and veg. Plus breakfast had everything you can imagine.

The posh restaurant Krystal can be booked twice during your stay and we went once. There are 12 tables and you have to book through reception. The meal was nice however there is absolutely no atmosphere at all, everyone is silent or whispering to one another. If there was some music in the background it would have made the meal so much more enjoyable. It was a nice change from the main restaurant to break up the week however we didn't feel the need to book for a second evening.

The pool area is lovely however there needs to be more umbrellas. Plenty of towels down with no one sitting there but we always managed to get 2 sunbeds but just struggled to get an umbrella. When we did get one it wasn't very stable and it blew on top of us cutting my boyfriend's big toe and i had a huge scratch down my foot. Can't help the winds in Fuertaventura!

The jacuzzi is lovely and we tended to stay to the left of that nearer the front on the sand. There are always free beds down there with a bit of shade.

The location is a bit out of the way. The walk into the main strip of Corralejo is just over an hour if you walk the road way. If you go the rear of the hotel and walk to the left on the beach this takes longer however is a nice walk (this is a nudist beach though). There are a few bars and restaurants in Corralejo but it's not that lively. We went into Corralejo a few times and to the market which was a waste of time - one of the worst markets I've probably been to.

There is a bus service every half hour which takes 2minutes and costs 1.40€ each one way. If you walk down where a half built building is, there is a small shopping centre with normally a band playing and a few places to drink - great atmosphere!

The only downside to the hotel that we found is the sham arrangement of having a room to change in if you have a late flight. They do not allow late check outs. We went to get a room at 3.30pm to get ready as the coach left at 5.30pm. We thought this would leave us with more than enough time to get ready and then to sit and have a drink before the coach. No chance of that, as we were told they only had 6 rooms available and they were all occupied and there were 4 other couples/families ahead of us in the queue. We were told just before 4pm that a room was free. We then had to make our way to the 6th floor with our suitcases and realised the lift only goes upto the 5th floor. We then had to carry our cases up another flight of stairs. The room was filthy and still had a few things in and dirty towels all over the bathroom. This had clearly been used by a couple and not cleaned prior to being used by guests who needed a shower before leaving! I jumped in the shower and as soon as I got out and my partner got in, we had a call from reception asking how long we were going to be as people were waiting. This is not acceptable and we then rushed to get ready. The hairdryer also overheated whilst i dried my hair and cut out which made it even more stressful. Why can't they just allow people with late flights to have a late check out and use their own room? It just seemed a bit ridiculous and we were very hot and bothered rushing around.

Apart from the last day, we had an extremely pleasant stay. You can't really fault the staff and the hotel itself. But note that the wifi is extremely poor and only works in the reception area - they really need to have this throughout the whole hotel and pool area.

I would say this hotel is suitable for anyone - families, couples and younger couples. We are in our mid-late twenties and thought it had everything we needed. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a pleasant stay in Fuertaventura.

Stayed: July 2014
11  Thank Kdradoodle
Write a ReviewReviews (1,689)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

spectacular location, beach in like in Caraibe !! too much food at the buffet, friendly staff, great with kids...
for people with babies, the pools are to cold.

all in all, very good value for the money.

Room Tip: rooms above the bar are noisy at night
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Razzvvaann
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have just come back from staying a week with my daughter. This was a very enjoyable holiday where the staff was so friendly and could not do enough for you. This is my second holiday at this hotel and can recommend it for mother and daughter holidays and also couples holidays, I will definitely be returning again. My only negative with this holiday was with Thomson holidays whom I have booked with on numerous occasions and been extremely happy, but this time was not a good experience. When I booked the holiday and paid for it, it did not state until after payment that we was with Norwegian airlines and could not enter passport info or book seats prior to departure. This caused problems with the travel process and did cause unnecessary stress. I feel that I did not receive what I was expecting before payment. Update your website Thomson and don't deceive your very loyal passengers.

Room Tip: Sea view ask for high floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Annette H
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Just arrived back after a wonderful holiday at this hotel. It is a beautiful hotel in an absolutely superb location. Staff are really pleasant and helpful and the hotel is spotless. We had room 249 and it was lovely with a beautiful balcony with sea view and the view was breathtaking with miles of white sand as far as the eye could see.

If the bed is too firm staff are only too happy to provide very comfy mattress toppers.

The restaurant was really good but can be expensive when you consider all drinks including water must be paid for as this hotel only does half board. The bus service to Corralejo is regular and inexpensive.

Room Tip: room 249 nice and roomy with balcony and stunning views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jodrvr
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Let me start by saying that I read all the reviews of this hotel before we left, and I can't understand anyone who says that the staff were unfriendly because the whole experience was AmAZiNg!!

After reading some more recent reviews, I would like to comment on some of the negativity there:

Firstly: The sea is not 'unswimmable'. The strength of the waves varies greatly. When we arrived on the 22nd June, the sea was smooth, with hardly a ripple. A green flag on the beach indicated that swimming was ok. This can change, as we experienced: the yellow flag and then the red flag went up over the next few days - the sea had become much more 'lively' and the waves were very strong when the red flag was up. Towards the end of our holiday things calmed down and the waves became more 'friendly' again :-) .

Secondly: I have read the recent reviews about the staff being 'unfriendly' and I'm wondering if they are talking about the same hotel! The staff were wonderful: polite, helpful and even the housekeeping staff always had a smile :-) The staff were particularly helpful when my husband unfortunately fell ill and they were nothing short of amazing. When I read any bad reviews on here about unfriendly staff I always wonder what the guests were like to the staff in the first place..

Thirdly: The is Fuerteventura. If you don't like having a breeze (and this could be anything from a light flutter to quite a good blast!) then a holiday here is not for you.

The food was excellent. Something for everyone. Plus the hotel organises dinner in two sittings: 6.30pm and 8.00pm. You choose which one you have for the duration of the holiday. This is great because it keeps queues to a minimum :-).

Yes, the drinks are pricey.. However, when you see how large the measures of spirits etc are you will find that it's probably about the same value for money as you get in the UK. Also: The Riu Palace Tres Islas is a 4 star/5T hotel. if you want dirt cheap drinks go and book a 2 star bed and breakfast in Benidorm.

We have been to Fuerteventura about 7 or 8 times now and totally LOVE it. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing holiday then Riu Palace Tres Islas is for you. For us as a couple it was perfect and we can't wait to go back there.

:-) :-) :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Rachel D
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel clean, entertainment rubbish but good if your over 70! Food not great! Staff nice, drinks expensive as there are no bars anywhere near by, unswimable sea,and loads of naked people Oh and no kids clubs if your taking any? Overall boring holiday and feeling ripped off! This is coming from someone who has travelled well and was hoping to write something good

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Andrea K
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I went here in 30th march, for 1 week my parents had been here before and said it was great! So me & my partner with our 2 year old son Went with them this time.
On arrival we thought we all would be in the main hotel building. We was given apartments on the complex which was lovely but a bit of a maze like to get around got lost a few times lol.
Was told children didn't stay in main hotel but met a couple who had a child aswell so confused.
Hotel clean, pools cold, food excellent restaurants excellent you couldn't starve the beach is out of this world just like the Caribbean but the sea is rough overall loved this hotel and place would recommend.
I only things that let it down was at night not for children you dont see any children everyone with kids seem to go back to there apprtments so was never really out in the evening past 7 as there was no kids specially main hotel building didn't see much of the entertainment but there was shows, singers, going on my parents said it was good .
You can get a cub 10 mins down the road or 30min walk shops pubs eveything.
Would go but if want a kiddy kiddy hoilday not the place.
Watch the beach NUDE on parts of it!!!
Definitely a good 4star
Enjoy your holiday
No bottle water can go town to buy bottles at supermarket then refill.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family