“Very good all inclusive in serene location” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in Corralejo
Daventry
“Very good all inclusive in serene location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I visited the Riu Oliva on the Canary Island of Fuertaventura as a solo traveller purely to get some much needed r+r and just chill out for the week. That's exactly what happened! I was in the main hotel and did not venture towards the annexe so my review is purely based on the main hotel and it's facilities.
The hotel is basically in the middle of the most beautiful beach I have ever seen outside of the Caribbean and in the middle of nowhere. It really is a beautifully scenic place and you will instantly feel relaxed.
Staff - I have been to a few Riu hotels mainly because their staff are so well trained and helpful. This hotel is no different. Hard working, polite, friendly staff who will help you if they can.
Rooms - I would say the rooms are slightly dated although don't get me wrong they are not tatty just decor wise they are a little behind the times. I paid for a single room which had a huge double bed... bonus! Nice standard type bathroom. The tv has a few English channels on including a good film channel, there is one oft those old wall radios which worked well. The balcony was again pretty standard but I was unfortunately overlooking the car park and rear entrance used for deliveries which may not be great for some people in the mornings with all the noise. Didn't bother me as I'd sleep through world war 3! The view was not great though from my room.
Pool area - Very nice indeed. Never really overly busy as plenty of people take the whole 30 second walk to step on the amazing beach, so if you are a pool person ou will love the fact you can get sunbeds and the pool itself was hard;y ever busy. If your a beach person you'll love the lack of any effort to get there..... just walk past the pool and there you are!
Clientele - Mainly German. I heard maybe 10 other people in this huge hotel all week that were English!! Not a problem for me however, I like the germans, speak the language and enjoyed everyone I met's company. All the guests I saw at this hotel were nice, polite and civilised people. You should not encounter any yob's big groups of lads etc here.
All inclusive aspect - As far as I'm concerned I loved it. fizzy drinks, fruit juice and beers and wine's are all self serve from machines dotted around the hotel. You can literally help yourself all day and all night. The value in the drinks is amazing. There are 3 bars including the pool bar. They have various opening times but they open pretty early and close pretty late. Here of course you can have all the local spirits, cocktail's etc. The main bar has a live show of some form each night. It seemed a bit pants to me most of the time! So I spent a lot of time eother on the balcony of the main bar or in the smaller second bar who had live music a few nights which was good. Entertainment could be better at this hotel but if your in a group you'll be fine. The food in my opinion was fine. Huge amount of choice and decent variation. All the usual all inclusive food to suit everyone. If anyone on here says they couldn't find anything at all to eat then they shouldn't be let out of their house in the first instance as they are clearly crazy!! Fresh cooked food, cooked right in front of you with different meat's fish etc. can't go wrong. Again it's great value too. I saw people filling plates, or wrapping burgers hot dogs etc in tissue and taking them back to their rooms. The staff didn't seem to mind at all!! The pool bar also does snacks right throughout the day.sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, pizza's, ice cream, cakes etc. You certainly will not go hungry or thirsty here.
They also have show cooking events around the pool area every so often. Not really my sort of thing but looked like people were having fun.
Location - Besides the shop on the hotel grounds and the beach there is nothing else around!! You can walk along the beach into Corralejo or just grab a cab which is cheap enough. I always found others waiting for a cab (rank is right out the front of the hotel) and shared with people a number of times. There isn't all that much there to be fair. There are a few nice bars and shops but nothing to special or lively. I was glad I was all inclusive as Corralejo seemed fairly dull! The only reason I bothered to venture out of the hotel is to go and watch the footy most days. As soon as it finished I was back at the hotel enjoying the all inclusive side of things!!
The hotel also has a nightclub so if by some chance you find yourself needing more alcohol or just fancy a boogie , just toddle down the stairs and yet again all drinks are free. You never ever pay for a drink in this all inclusive! 24 hour reception where you get free bottled water as many as you need per day. There is an internet room just off reception but also free wifi in the reception and lobby area which is also where the rep stations are. Check in was great as they took my case and passport, sorted sent me down to the restaurant for something to eat and a drink while they checked me in etc. When I came back everything was done and it was time for the pool!
Great holiday, lovely hotel, amazing value, no lout's. Would return anytime.

Room Tip: Get a pool or beach view.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Georgia50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (871)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
south wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband an I ,plus two other couples have just returned from the olive beach complex .we too were placed in the annex ,there was nothing wrong with this in fact it proved to be the better option..Guests staying in the hotel were actually coming up to use our pool as it was too windy at the beach side pool,we were sheltered from any wind at our poolside !
Food at the hotel was lovely ,plenty of choice and good quality,(not smart price) !!
Can,t comment on show nights as we did not attend,we did however win the quiz !! ,we also had a late night one night and went to the disco !!,Wespent most of our night in the adult only lounge or the card room,where us women whooped the men,even learnt how to play yatzee !
We went to both the specialist restaurants and personally found the Mandarin to be much nicer...
Taxi,s into Correlejo cost 7euro,s each way,we went in on the Friday to the market,if you want a bag,scarf,or sunglasses then this is a must for you ,otherwise give it a miss !
We also spent the whole day in town on the Sat watching 6 nations rugby...Wales won the Grand Slam !this was spent in the Dubliners bar,great hospitality was given to us ,thanks
all in all a great time was had,my only gripe is that it is a little isolated..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank SouthWalesNanna
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed in the hotel the last week of February and the first week of March this year. We were allocated a room that had no sun at all during the day and, as there is no heating in this hotel at all, it was too cold and we asked to change. We had a choice of a few rooms, all of which were at the far end of the Annex and chose one of them although it was far from the pool and the restaurant.
We preferred to eat at the Annex restaurant. Choice of food for breakfast was quite good, fruit juice was of a very poor quality and it was practically impossible to get a soft boiled egg for some reason. Lunches were fast food lunches and we either skipped it or eat at the main restaurant which had better choice and quality of food for lunch. The choice of dishes for lunch and dinner was somewhat limited if you prefer fish to meat. The white wine was of poor quality, the read was drinkable. Our 6yr old enjoyed the annex pool and the Riu children's club.I would not recommend the club for smaller kids as the child:staf ratio is quite high and on one occasion when we came to pick up our child, the staff were not sure where she was!She was on the playground, however, I would expect them to know where she is at all time. There is kid's disco every night for 30 min, always the same songs and the same routine but kids seem to like it. The adult entertainment was rather poor. The main asset of this hotel is it's location, the beach and the dunes were fabulous.

Room Tip: You really need a room that gets some sun during the day in January, February and most of March as t...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Gordana30
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Just returned from riu (17th - 24th march). I went with my husband, 2yr old son, my 6month bump :-), my mum, stepdad & 19 yr old brother! We had originally booked to go turkey end of may, and then i realised i would be too heavily preggers so we changed to this.
My mum stepdad and brother had 2 rooms in the hotel and we had a room in the annex. My mum and brothers rooms had sea views which were stunning although their balconys were in the shade, but they were never in their room so it wasnt a problem. Their rooms were very basic, a room with beds in and a loo, but very clean, maids come every day.
Our room in the annex, was big, louge/dining area, bedroom, bathroom & massive balcony. We preferred the annex to the hotel, as the swimming pool was better & nicer, although there are a lot of kids so be prepared for this.
There are plenty of sun loungers at both pools so dont worry, although the good spots get taken by the germans really early (and there was a lot of germans).
The food in the hotel & annex are the same, the hotel is sooo busy at dinner time tho, and hardly any kids so if yours play up (like ours did) be prepared for some snooty looks of people!
We went down to the beach 5/7 days, it was amazing, I swear it looks like a carribean beach, the sand is beautiful, and the sea turquoise, truly beautiful. You have to pay for the sunbeds down there 3euros but is worth it if your there all day.
The all inclusive drinks are constantly available, and you just help your self to all soft drinks wine and beer, all the other alcoholic drinks the many barstaff will give you.
We all paid £750 each all inclusive for a week with first choice (i got a free child place), reading other peoples reviews, I think we may have overpaid :-( but we had a brilliant time and would go back again....just 1 moan, its not really a lively holiday. The evening entertainment was soo boring andthere never was really much going on. Im 29, and to be fair there wasnt many people under 30, son definetly wouldnt recommend for young people!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank LISA C
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Wow, where do i start, just got back from Riu Oliva Beach, we spent a week there, and it was fantastic, we stayed in the Annex, and had a lovely big room with a south facing patio (room 4132), it was very close to the pool and the restaurant. The maids did a great job every morning. We ate most of the time in the smaller restaurant in the annex as it was less busy, there was always a good variety of food every day and it was all fresh. We also liked the fact that the drinks were branded coke, fantas etc. The restaurant staff in the annex worked truly hard and were always smiling. All the staff were very eager to please and would go out of their way to be helpful. The beach/sand dunes are breathtaking and are very clean.
One little tip, if you feel like pampering yourself abit more, go to Barcelo hotel in corralejo and book into there Spa, it was amazing, we spent all day there, and also had a hot stone massage, highly recommended! and the total was 43 euros each, you can have loads of different treatments of you can just relax in the spa for 18 euros. We also went on a day trip to Los Lobos, another wonderful day, just remember to take a pack lunch with you as there is only 1 resturant who seem very reluctant to cook anything, they only serve paella or fried fish, and told us we needed a reservation, but the restuarant was totally empty!
Weather was very good for march. All in all, it was a perfect relaxing holiday and would definately return!

Room Tip: We were in room 4132, ground floor, with south facing patio, overlooking palm trees and grass
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Traveller0759
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Rui Oliva Beach from 7 to 14 March 2012. We payed extra for a sea view and were allocated a room which overlooked the Tres Islas Hotel. It was a beautiful view, but unfortunately, there was not any sun on the balcony. We asked for a transfer to the other side of the building. This was not a problem to the reception staff and the view was exquisite. We cannot praise the staff enough. From Marissa, who cleaned our room, who was always happy, cheerful and singing, to Mari in the restaurant, who always made sure that there were two glasses of chilled white wine waiting on the table for us. It was a lovely holiday. We would definitely return and put up with the Germans, who unfortunately, still do not have a sense of humour, still do not queue and still get up very early to reserve the sunbeds.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which overlooks the beach and the sand dunes. In March, you are guaranteed to have s...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank PaulWBAFan
chester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Just returned from a week stay, We stayed in room 520 which over looked the pool,sea and sand perfect! We booked with firstchoice at £380 each all inclusive for the week, I tend to write the reviews on how much a holiday cost me so I can be honest. I think if you book with firstchoice or thomson you end up in the annex bit which to me was very family based, I emailed the hotel before I left to see if they could but me in the main hotel and they did at no extra cost! This review I feel would be alot different if I ended up in the annex bit as I don't go on holiday to hear other people's children!
The hotel itself is dated! it's very clean the staff are lovely.
The food is 3 star it's not bad but it's not great, you can survive but I would of stuggled if I stayed longer then a week. The chinese resturant was really nice but you need to book at 7am the day before you want to go!
Location is lovely but very windy on some days, plus the sunbeds in the non windy bits of hotel were taken by 6 in the morning!!
Would I return? yes if I could get it at the same price, don't pay over the odd's to stay here.

Room Tip: pool view high floor
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hannahnightmare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corralejo
Hotel Riu Palace Tres Islas
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
#7 of 46 in Corralejo
Avanti Hotel Boutique Fuerteventura
Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa

Been to ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort? Share your experiences!