“Impressive position on the beach”

ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Basingstoke
“Impressive position on the beach”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We have visited this hotel many times over the years even before became all inclusive after the last refurbishment.
It provides excellent value in a superb position on the dunes outside Corralejo. The staff are exceedingly helpful and friendly compared to other hotels we have visited.
THe hotel and rooms are comfortable and we always book a room with a sea view as the other side of the hotel, although having excellent views, can be cold as it does not see much sunshine. The food provided is of a very good standard and we have never gone wanting.
We would like to think that all clients are treated in a similar way to us, although as regular visitors we are always treated well. We think it is definitely a two way affair.

4 Thank Michael F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (926)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Have stay at this hotel for 14 days 19/3-2/4 2012.The servie is as always on top on Riu hotels.The food is not that tasty as it use to be if i compare to other hotels in the Riu chain,and about the same every week.The alcohol is not of good quality its simply thin!wine about 9%, avecs between 15-20%,for exmp:Triple sec 17% taste like water!drinks about the same.The poolarea is crowdy not big enough,and the sunbeds is occupied before 830 in the morning with towels or books.The hotel is a 3;1/2 star no more if i compare with other Riu hotels ive benn visithing.

Room Tip: South side 1-46 on every plan,North side no sun at all.
2 Thank sparvenaa
Canterbury
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My wife and I visited this hotel this March 2012 for a week and found it to be not very personal, as it is far to big. Definitely one of the biggest we have stayed in. The hotel although very clean is beginning to look in desperate need of refurbishment, although tarting up attempts are being made, some serious money is needed. Our room in the annex was very spacious and met our requirements, but the floor tiles in the bathroom were badly chipped.
The all-Inclusive billing is not as expected,although the wine and beer plus soft drinks are on tap all day, only the beer,soft drinks and red wine were drinkable. The rose and white wine were horrible.Local spirits were not available until 6.00pm onwards, but the bar service was exceptionally efficient, considering the number of guests. The food although plentiful was a bit repetitive and a week was long enough.
The hotel entertainment was reasonable and the animation team worked hard in producing the programmes scheduled.
We experienced a high level of German Guests during our stay, which made it difficult to find people to converse with during dinner and around the pool. The hotel even tried to lay on an English Programme during our stay.
The hotel setting is superb, with access onto a lovely beach at its rear. Turn right and within twenty minutes your at the Dunes with its nudists and turn left you can be in Correjero. Although I understand it is a good hours walk. The Riu sister hotel is also to the left.
Sunbeds plus parasols can be had for three euro's a piece. But beware the wind is deceiving and you can burn very easily, as I found to my cost.
Overall we had a very relaxing week and enjoyed our experience.

Room Tip: Annex family rooms have additional living space. Two settees, table and chairs and fridge.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Holey59
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

setting beatifull exerlent beach good staff very helpfull and conciderate get aroom faceing pool no sun on other side rooms were cold sheets felt damp room cleanliness not up to scratch asked to change room to other side no problem and it was much warmer and a better view bedding worn thin grey white sheets blankets smelt pillows were bits of brownish foam my husbands was in 2 halfs they hadent been cleaned from one guest to another furniture a bit battered and carpets stained room comfort and cleanliness is very important to us it all forms a enjoyable carefree holiday of which we all work hard for in todays current climate holidays are for rest and comfort in all aspects and we are not willing to put up with enything wether you are in the room 5 min aday or fiftry hours sleep and comfort and above all cleanliness are just has important has enything we keep a very clean comfortabe lhome and expect the same on holiday could not fault the food although the meal times at breakfast and evening meal were a bit mad people rushing everywhere would go back if the comfort issue improved if only for the setting and beach that was wonderfull

Room Tip: ask for rooms facing pool corner rooms on this side are good warmer and brighter light wise
1 Thank christine p
Larbert, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My wife and I revisited this hotel in March 2012 for the first time since it became all-inclusive.
We were delighted with our stay. Food was excellent and the rooms very comfortable and the whole hotel was kept scrupulously clean. All staff were very friendly and helpful and we would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: When booking ask for a room with a pool view or you'll get one which is in the shade for most of...
7 Thank island_bagger06
Daventry
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I visited the Riu Oliva on the Canary Island of Fuertaventura as a solo traveller purely to get some much needed r+r and just chill out for the week. That's exactly what happened! I was in the main hotel and did not venture towards the annexe so my review is purely based on the main hotel and it's facilities.
The hotel is basically in the middle of the most beautiful beach I have ever seen outside of the Caribbean and in the middle of nowhere. It really is a beautifully scenic place and you will instantly feel relaxed.
Staff - I have been to a few Riu hotels mainly because their staff are so well trained and helpful. This hotel is no different. Hard working, polite, friendly staff who will help you if they can.
Rooms - I would say the rooms are slightly dated although don't get me wrong they are not tatty just decor wise they are a little behind the times. I paid for a single room which had a huge double bed... bonus! Nice standard type bathroom. The tv has a few English channels on including a good film channel, there is one oft those old wall radios which worked well. The balcony was again pretty standard but I was unfortunately overlooking the car park and rear entrance used for deliveries which may not be great for some people in the mornings with all the noise. Didn't bother me as I'd sleep through world war 3! The view was not great though from my room.
Pool area - Very nice indeed. Never really overly busy as plenty of people take the whole 30 second walk to step on the amazing beach, so if you are a pool person ou will love the fact you can get sunbeds and the pool itself was hard;y ever busy. If your a beach person you'll love the lack of any effort to get there..... just walk past the pool and there you are!
Clientele - Mainly German. I heard maybe 10 other people in this huge hotel all week that were English!! Not a problem for me however, I like the germans, speak the language and enjoyed everyone I met's company. All the guests I saw at this hotel were nice, polite and civilised people. You should not encounter any yob's big groups of lads etc here.
All inclusive aspect - As far as I'm concerned I loved it. fizzy drinks, fruit juice and beers and wine's are all self serve from machines dotted around the hotel. You can literally help yourself all day and all night. The value in the drinks is amazing. There are 3 bars including the pool bar. They have various opening times but they open pretty early and close pretty late. Here of course you can have all the local spirits, cocktail's etc. The main bar has a live show of some form each night. It seemed a bit pants to me most of the time! So I spent a lot of time eother on the balcony of the main bar or in the smaller second bar who had live music a few nights which was good. Entertainment could be better at this hotel but if your in a group you'll be fine. The food in my opinion was fine. Huge amount of choice and decent variation. All the usual all inclusive food to suit everyone. If anyone on here says they couldn't find anything at all to eat then they shouldn't be let out of their house in the first instance as they are clearly crazy!! Fresh cooked food, cooked right in front of you with different meat's fish etc. can't go wrong. Again it's great value too. I saw people filling plates, or wrapping burgers hot dogs etc in tissue and taking them back to their rooms. The staff didn't seem to mind at all!! The pool bar also does snacks right throughout the day.sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, pizza's, ice cream, cakes etc. You certainly will not go hungry or thirsty here.
They also have show cooking events around the pool area every so often. Not really my sort of thing but looked like people were having fun.
Location - Besides the shop on the hotel grounds and the beach there is nothing else around!! You can walk along the beach into Corralejo or just grab a cab which is cheap enough. I always found others waiting for a cab (rank is right out the front of the hotel) and shared with people a number of times. There isn't all that much there to be fair. There are a few nice bars and shops but nothing to special or lively. I was glad I was all inclusive as Corralejo seemed fairly dull! The only reason I bothered to venture out of the hotel is to go and watch the footy most days. As soon as it finished I was back at the hotel enjoying the all inclusive side of things!!
The hotel also has a nightclub so if by some chance you find yourself needing more alcohol or just fancy a boogie , just toddle down the stairs and yet again all drinks are free. You never ever pay for a drink in this all inclusive! 24 hour reception where you get free bottled water as many as you need per day. There is an internet room just off reception but also free wifi in the reception and lobby area which is also where the rep stations are. Check in was great as they took my case and passport, sorted sent me down to the restaurant for something to eat and a drink while they checked me in etc. When I came back everything was done and it was time for the pool!
Great holiday, lovely hotel, amazing value, no lout's. Would return anytime.

Room Tip: Get a pool or beach view.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Georgia50
south wales
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband an I ,plus two other couples have just returned from the olive beach complex .we too were placed in the annex ,there was nothing wrong with this in fact it proved to be the better option..Guests staying in the hotel were actually coming up to use our pool as it was too windy at the beach side pool,we were sheltered from any wind at our poolside !
Food at the hotel was lovely ,plenty of choice and good quality,(not smart price) !!
Can,t comment on show nights as we did not attend,we did however win the quiz !! ,we also had a late night one night and went to the disco !!,Wespent most of our night in the adult only lounge or the card room,where us women whooped the men,even learnt how to play yatzee !
We went to both the specialist restaurants and personally found the Mandarin to be much nicer...
Taxi,s into Correlejo cost 7euro,s each way,we went in on the Friday to the market,if you want a bag,scarf,or sunglasses then this is a must for you ,otherwise give it a miss !
We also spent the whole day in town on the Sat watching 6 nations rugby...Wales won the Grand Slam !this was spent in the Dubliners bar,great hospitality was given to us ,thanks
all in all a great time was had,my only gripe is that it is a little isolated..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank SouthWalesNanna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corralejo
Hotel Riu Palace Tres Islas
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
#7 of 45 in Corralejo
Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa

Been to ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort? Share your experiences!