“Good for families”

ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a relaxed, clean and child orientated base you can't go wrong.
Rooms within the low rise section are clean, a good size and near the pool, snack bar and shop. They are basically furnished and typical white walls, pine furniture with tiled floors. Initially they were disappointing compared to other 4 stars we have stayed in. But once you get out in the sunshine you stop caring. The only negative is there is no ac or heating, just a ceiling fan. So we were cold when we experienced some bad weather. There are no self catering facilities as All inclusive so you might wish to bring a travel kettle. The snack bar is literally a 2 minute walk from the furthest point of the low rise apartments and hot and cold drinks are available 8.30 onwards.
The pools were warm enough to swim in. Same as in summer, a bit nippy when you first get in but then comfortable. Kids loved both pools (aged 8 and 10 and good swimmers). There are shallow sections in kids pool for babies and toddlers to paddle in. Lifeguard was vigilant.
Staff worked really hard, very polite and aiming to please. Never experienced any unfriendly staff, all had good attitudes.
We tried all inclusive at our children's request. It's busy, hectic and canteen style so didn't float our boat. However, the selection of food is very good, hot and tasty. The staff took pride in setting the tables with crisp white table cloths and provided good service. The kids loved it.
Entertainment was reasonable compared with anything else we have experienced. Mildly entertaining, kids were happy, friendly atmosphere etc.
This is really a good 3 star resort, it's not luxurious or polished but it is honest and getting many things right.
The beach is gorgeous and we had a lovely winter break.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Aluap_11
Write a ReviewReviews (3,839)

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Having read previous reviews i believed the positive and ignored the negative and booked through thomson after they also said what a fantastic hotel it was and what a great price i was getting......... Couldnt have been more fooled! Hotel is in desperate need of a refurb i have since learned that the national park want it knocked down and i agree with them! We had no hot water for two days just what you want after a day on the beach! The entertainment can only be described as none existent, i tried to have a chat with dan the thomson rep but was unable to find him throughout stay! When i happened to catch a glimpse while waiting for the coach home i had to laugh he looked like he had stumbled out of bed and had a very good night out the night before clearly avoiding any eye contact! Please dont be fooled as i was by the positive reviews the hotel is far from faultless! The beach is beautiful as described but the wind can get a bit much we could only tolerate an hour. Hotel is clean and food okish no variety every day seemed the same, also no bottled water provided in rooms which i found very strange? Especially from a riu? We had to lend one guest some change to get some water as she was diabetic and all the bars were closed to obtain any! All in all we made the most if it but was highly disappointed wont be returning!

• Stayed: February 2014
6  Thank Brit201
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Having read the reviews I was dubious of going to the Riu, however I cannot rate it enough. Whether it's a 3 star or 4 star the friendly professional helpful staff make it a 5 star!! Arrived and was immediately given our keys to the room which thankfully overlooked the pool and this followed an immediate call to ensure we were happy with the room. Of course we were-overlooking the pool and the beach and had 2 big beds in it AND was spotlessly clean. Nice bathroom and plenty of space. The reviews I read mentioned the rooms being 'dated' and 'shabby' but mine certainly wasn't and besides my holidays consist of only sleeping in my room and so long as it was clean outdated furniture wasn't an issue for me. Everywhere we ate was clean and the service again was second to none. The waitresses, waiters, chefs and everyone were happy and helpful especially young Anna, what a pleasant happy waitress. The al a carte restaurant choices were fantastic and made a change from the regular restaurant but if they wasn't there then the choice of food was plentiful and nicely set out.
The activities in the day are full on, something for everyone to do whatever the age although I took to laying on a sunbed catching some sun and chilling out most days. The evening entertainment I must say didn't really last for long but that was fine for me as I'm an early to bed early to rise person.
The pool area was spotless and well maintained BUT the pool was freezing-I understood from Thomson that it is heated at the managers discretion but even though I asked it was not getting heated, actually apparently it gets heated by the sun! This was a let down for me as I would have loved to swim daily but really it was absolutely freezing so I only braved it once-due to everything else being so good I didn't bother mKing a fuss or actually complianing even when I walked to the sister hotel assuming I could use their pool (which I found out was not correct information) I just though I'd have to brave the cold water or not bother. Many people said the same about the pool so I know it wasn't just me moaning ;-)
The biggest thing I found regrading this being a 4star was their were no coffee facilities in the room and the wifi is chargeable? We could hire a kettle from an outside company at a cost but I would have expected this to be included in a 4star hotel and the wifi I was shocked at having to purchase this from the machine-I had stayed in the hotel Arena just up the road a few months back and wifi was free - maybe I have been spoilt staying in Barcelos and Sandos hotels and my expectations were a bit high but I can honestly say my expectations overLl were met.
I had a lovely week and as I at times may travel alone it was nice to see I can have a single room here as I am definitely going to be returning regardless of the wifi issue BUT it will have to be in warmer weathers unless I am guaranteed the pool will be heated.
Perfect trip from cleaners, chefs, reception staff, waiting staff and bar staff. They make this hotel what it is. And the fact that it may be a little outdated in terms of decor well I never saw this as an issue as it was spotlessly clean every single day.

Room Tip: If you enjoy sitting on the balcony with some sun on you then poolside but that can be a bit loud. W...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Deedeejj
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel last October and just booked again for next month.

This comprises of a hotel block with separate apartments in the grounds. We stayed in a ground floor apartment overlooking a grassy area. It was very spacious but a bit tired. It was fairly noisy but apart from the odd moron, acceptable. There are two restaurants, both self-service serving very good food with plenty of choices. My wife and I are vegetarian and there was always something for us.

The location is very isolated but on a bus route and is about a 20 minute ride to the town. Its right on the most fabulous beach but be aware that there are many nudists using it.

Room Tip: Hotel rooms are higher price than apartments and are smaller.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gerry S
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Husband and I have just returned from our holiday and although like other reviews the hotel could proberly do with some updating the staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough for you, that was from reception, dining room staff, bar staff and domestics, the room was beautifully clean also the entertainment staff worked really hard. Food was excellent with plenty of choice, also the location of the hotel is fantastic right on the beach which streches for miles. Although the hotel is situated out of the town the bus stop is just up the road and also it is only around 5euros for a taxi. All I can say is all the staff and management keep up the good work, you made the holiday a pleasure and I am sure we will return.

Room Tip: Rooms in the hotel overlooking the sea can be in the shade
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine H
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Went to the Club Hotel Riu Oliva Beach in October . My wife and I have been to most of the Riu Hotels in the Canarys , even though we had a nice time with our family of six adults and our two young granddaughters I have to say this has to be one of the poorest ! First of all the so called entertainment was very low key ! The children did enjoy the kiddies club in the afternoon , but other than that we were really Disapointed . The food was ok ish. ! The beach was the best I have ever seen but the sea was not for swimming so please beware . Very rough . If you do decide to go to this Hotel please be aware of the very strong winds on this island. I'm sorry to say we wouldn't go again .We flew with Thomson from Birmingham .

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Alan T
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This hotel was scheduled to be demolished as it is in the National Park but very recently was reprieved, hence it has not been maintained. Two days of water leaking into reception and the entertainment area with water running all over the place and no hot water in the rooms. The lift doors did not always open at the requested floor and there was a lot of rattling and banging which concerned my Wife!. The food and drink are not up to normal Riu standards but plenty of pasta and salad which was OK for me. You only get a sea veiw if you pay extra for it, its well worth it - we were on the 7th floor overlooking the pool. Sun all day and amazing views, we sat on the balcony some days reading as it was very peaceful.

The plus points - I thought the staff were very good, always cheerful and helpful. The location is amazing, walk for miles through the dunes, nice walk into Corralejo. Room was quiet and you could sit in the sun on the blacony and soak up the view. WiFi was only 20 Euros a week which is OK, good strong signal so that i could access my office pc every day and do my emails. Overall excellent value.

Minus points - food very limited but adequate, drinks are all the cheapest possible brands, I drank Sangria which was very dull but ordered a separate brandy every time to go into it which perked it up a lot. All the furniture, doors etc are chipped and the whole building needs a mjor refurbishment. There is no quiet bar, everywhere seems to have muisic.

We didn't see any of the entertainement as we eat late but it seemed very popular. We didn't use the pool area but there seemed to be enough sun loungers although some were "reserved" before sunrise! It was great to have a week in the sun for not much money!!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view or you will be in the annex, ask for a room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple