“Just as good as last time”

ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Returned to the Oliva Beach for two weeks having spent a week there 18 months ago. I can only say that the holiday met all our expectations and we had a fantastic time.
The staff from reception to the maids were first classs. Very friendly and dedicated to ensuring we had a good holiday.
The food was of the highest standard. Forget the reviews that say the food was repetitive. All hot food is cooked fresh with many choices each night. The buffet starters were excellent and the chefs ensure that they are allways fresh.
The only downside is the evening entertainment. Unless you are seated by 7:30 for the 9:00pm show you will have a very poor view of the stage.Having said that we spent most of the evenings in the bar next to reception where the bar staff were fantastic, thanks Carlo & Enrique. There is live music here four times per week and dancing to CD's on the other nights.
I would recomend the Annexe to the main building. THe rooms are of a good size, very clean and only 4 mins walk to the main building.
Would we return? CERTAINLY.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Traveler208_10
There are newer reviews for ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Me and my partner booked this hotel as a last minute holiday. I have previously stayed in a Riu hotel and upon arrival I must say I was disappointed. We arrived around 9pm on the night so after a long journey we went to the buffet to get some food. All the food seemed dried up as if it had been sat their for ages. After this we always tried to go for good as soon as the restaurants opened. The food was very basic; chips, chicken, vege, and toasters. It was the same food everyday. Got a bit bland. We then Went back to the room and we were met by a 'sauna' like environment. The room as so hot you couldn't breathe. We had the air con turned full blast but it was blowing out warm air. We rang reception and complained, we were then told that it was not the peak season until end of July and it is the managements decision not to have the air com turned on. The next day we complained to the Thompson rep who provided us with a plug in fan.

Then the holiday went from bad to worse. I came down with a sickness and diarreah. It lasted for more than 24 hours. The hotel were aware of the sickness bug going around. We spoke to a few other couples who had all had this bug. About 12 hours into the bug my partner also caught this bug. The hotel told us a doctor would be available at 6-6.30 every night. But they forgot to mention he was a private doctor. He wanted to charge €60 for a consultation and €60 to give an injection to me. He told us our insurance would not cover his costs.

The entertainment on the nights was all focused on the german visitors. Very poor entertainment.

The cleanliness of the hotel was fair however we were staying in the annexes in room 2220 and there was a lot of ants everywhere especially in the bathroom. We reported this to reception but they did nothing about it.

The rooms were very dated. But did the job of sleeping in. We booked a double room but it was two single beds pushed together which was disappointing.

I would definitely never recommend this hotel and I will not be returning in the future.

2  Thank TSFan13
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Just got back from a weeks stay at this hotel with my partner. We arrived on a late flight and had a wonderful welcome, flowers from reception and they kept food for us. I emailed in advance and asked if it would be possible to have a high room as we had already paid for a sea view, they met the request and the first morning when we woke and looked out of the window, was just perfect. The most amazing clear blue sea and white sand I've seen. The room was very clean and spotless, cleaned, beds made and fresh towels every day. The food was nice, a little repetitive but there was something for everyone, pasta, pizza, chicken, steak etc.
Definitely recommend going to the canary resturant at the hotel, you have to book the day before you go but it's amazing!
The entertainment at night is also good, your typical holiday shows etc. Drinks are great! There are 2 help yourself bars within the main hotel during the day with proper maked fizzy drinks (coke, diet coke, sprite, fanta, lemon fanta), beer, water, coffee. Also a bar by the swimming pool that is manned and you can have any other drinks, spirits, cocktails. The bars in the night also do any drinks. Didn't have to queue for drinks once.
The one thing will say is that you will have to beat the Germans to get a sunbed! The hotel caters for lots of German people and on the first day, we
Looked out at 7.30 and there must have been about 50 towels already on the sunbeds.
I think the bad reviews on here must be about the annex buildings.
We paid for a sea view but if you don't it seems you are put in the annex, it seems nice and the pool there looks nice but is definitely a lot more dirty. My partner and I booked to go to the mandarin resturant on our last night, we arrived a bit early so decided to have a drink but both had second thoughts as the bar area didn't seem too clean. We went to the resturant and it was nice but the chicken skewers didn't seem to be cooked properly so we didn't eat them! During our final day after the brief trip to the annex my partner woke to have sickness and diarrhoea. A few hours later when boarding the plane I also had this and have been suffering since which is a shame. But we definitely recommend the hotel! Amazing holiday!

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank welshtrumpeter
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed at the Oliva Beach Hotel for the second time this year and yet again I cannot fault this hotel.Emailed Hotel a couple of months before my visit and asked if possible to have 2 rooms I had used before and on my arrival I was given these 2 rooms for me and my family.Check in was fast and as we arrived late at night they supplied some food.Hotel was kept clean and tidy and all the staff worked really hard to make your stay at this hotel a really good time.Food was really good and there was a good selection of drinks.Asked at end of holiday if we could have a late check out as we had a evening flight and we were allowed to stay in our room for an extra 3 hours at no charge.Best Hotel in Corralejo!

Room Tip: If staying in main hotel ask for high floor with pool view.If staying in the annex part of hotel ask...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Clifhard
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed as a couple for a week and had a fab time at Olivia beach, food was nice, breakfast you had your usual eggs,bacon,beans and occasionally sausage (hot dog sausage) croissants, toast, cereal. dinner you had a range of burgers, chicken, pizza, fish, chips, all the fruits and salads you could think of, nice ranges of puddings, yoghurts. Lunch you had potatoes, different ranges of meats, chips, pizza ect. All sorts of foods for everyone. The beach was beautiful golden sands and the Sea was brill if you love waves. I took my body board and had a good laugh! Me and my partner went snorkelling in the sea where you could see different kinds of fish swimming around you! Taxis are a decent price to corralejo town 6/7 euros to town central, had some lovely shops, bars and restaurants there. Wifi in the hotel was good €20 for the week and could get reception in the entertainment room but states you can only get connection in the wifi area. I wouldn't recommend the water park €50 for me and my partner we was there for an hour tops! Lazy river- you had to push yourself around it as the current wasn't strong at all, slides were ok for young children. Weather was beautiful! I can't think of any faults with the hotel. I will be going to this hotel again!!

Room Tip: Stay in annex as the hotel can get very full around the pool area.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Nat P
Reviewed 27 June 2014

If you are thinking of booking do not. If you have booked good luck. The main hotel as a smell of poo around the pool area. The small poll area is coverd in bird poo the sun beds are broken. The hotel is sad and past its sell by date. While there every one I spoke to had the runs no fresh water worn out towels I could go on for ever.

2  Thank earl l
Reviewed 26 June 2014

having been a riu member for the last 3years we have to say this is the worst riu hotel we have stayed in the food for the first week was look warm in the main restaurant in the hotel part also some staff not very welcoming 1 lady always had a face of thunder on her never spoke or smiled very abrupt we found out that they have a restaurant in the other side of the hotel called the annex food so much better and staff much more happy to help you but be worned if you dont book a sea view room you will be placed in the annex if you have a walking disability its a long way to main hotel pool in main hotel you could not get a sun bed for love of money we counted 36 beds with towls on at 9am not 1 person went near them till after 1pm two full rows plus about 40 persent wear broken go to the pool in the annex more quiet and more beds the entertaintment very poor we only stayed in 3 nights we went down to the music square much more fun its 9 euro by taxi as said sorry oliva beach never again

Room Tip: book seaview or you will have some walking to do
3  Thank christopher o
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corralejo
Hotel Riu Palace Tres Islas
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
#7 of 45 in Corralejo
Occidental Jandia Playa

Been to ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort? Share your experiences!