Having read mixed reviews on TA after we had booked this hotel with Thomson, it was with a little trepidation that we embarked on our holiday So first with the few positives, the beach is fabulous and I would say definitely the star of the show here, and the funny thing is it is a public beach (as are all beaches on the island) so the hotel can't even take credit for it, and that is why you have to pay to use the sun loungers and parasols. The charge is €3 per bed and parasol, but it is worth it to save the hassle of trying to put up a beach shelter in the wind (LOL)! The hotel is a few miles outside of Corralejo and is therefore in a quiet location, there is a small supermarket style shop just outside the hotel grounds, where there is also the public bus stop. The bus will take you into Corralejo and is only €1.40 single fare, which is much cheaper than a taxi. The hotel staff are friendly and seem to work very hard in each of their respective jobs and the room and public areas of the hotel were kept very clean. It is impressive that the bar and reception staff are able to converse effectively in German, French and English. We found that most of the guests were German and Spanish, which we didn't have any problems with at all. We didn't spend any time around the main pool, preferring to go to the beach as the pool is very small for the size of the hotel and was packed all day everyday with the sunbeds squashed so close together it was ridiculous. Also, on a couple of days there was a distinct smell of sewers around the pool area, which was horrible. The food in the main restaurant is buffet style with two á l carte restaurants. The buffet food is mediocre, however the salad bar was ok and most people will be able to find something to satisfy themselves. One big gripe with the food was the hot food on the buffet were not hot enough, so even in the short time it takes to get back to your table the food is barely luke warm. We only tried the snack bar by the pool once, this serves burgers, hot dog, fries and pizza, but again the food was barely warm. I'm sure this contravenes basic food hygiene? Anyway, we found the overall food experience very disappointing. The alcoholic drinks were all local brands, and although the bar staff were very efficient, they certainly do not know how to make decent cocktails! Don't be tempted to have a Mojito...what you will get is an abomination and is awful. The hotel is stuck in a time warp and needs RIU to invest some much needed love and money in it to bring it up to standard. It is a shame really, because it could be so much better. Two other thing to consider if you have booked with Thomson, in their brochure they rate this hotel as 4T's - this is very misleading as the official rating is 3 star and I would say this hotel just about reaches this 3 rating. So please, Thomson stop enhancing official ratings! Also, we paid extra for a sea view room, this is a complete waste of money because we saw by walking around outside the hotel, that approx 90% of the rooms have a view of the sea and by the laws of probability you will get a sea view room without paying extra.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located 5 km from Corralejo. 7-storey main building and 2-storey and 3-storey annexes, surrounded by a 35,000 m2 garden, Situated on Grandes Playas sand dune beach, 5 km from various shops, 35 km from the airport, 200 m from a bus stop, Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Clubhotel Oliva Beach Corralejo
- Riu Oliva Beach
- Riu Clubhotel Oliva Beach Hotel
- ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort Fuerteventura/Corralejo