“Very Disappointing”

Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Having read mixed reviews on TA after we had booked this hotel with Thomson, it was with a little trepidation that we embarked on our holiday So first with the few positives, the beach is fabulous and I would say definitely the star of the show here, and the funny thing is it is a public beach (as are all beaches on the island) so the hotel can't even take credit for it, and that is why you have to pay to use the sun loungers and parasols. The charge is €3 per bed and parasol, but it is worth it to save the hassle of trying to put up a beach shelter in the wind (LOL)! The hotel is a few miles outside of Corralejo and is therefore in a quiet location, there is a small supermarket style shop just outside the hotel grounds, where there is also the public bus stop. The bus will take you into Corralejo and is only €1.40 single fare, which is much cheaper than a taxi. The hotel staff are friendly and seem to work very hard in each of their respective jobs and the room and public areas of the hotel were kept very clean. It is impressive that the bar and reception staff are able to converse effectively in German, French and English. We found that most of the guests were German and Spanish, which we didn't have any problems with at all. We didn't spend any time around the main pool, preferring to go to the beach as the pool is very small for the size of the hotel and was packed all day everyday with the sunbeds squashed so close together it was ridiculous. Also, on a couple of days there was a distinct smell of sewers around the pool area, which was horrible. The food in the main restaurant is buffet style with two á l carte restaurants. The buffet food is mediocre, however the salad bar was ok and most people will be able to find something to satisfy themselves. One big gripe with the food was the hot food on the buffet were not hot enough, so even in the short time it takes to get back to your table the food is barely luke warm. We only tried the snack bar by the pool once, this serves burgers, hot dog, fries and pizza, but again the food was barely warm. I'm sure this contravenes basic food hygiene? Anyway, we found the overall food experience very disappointing. The alcoholic drinks were all local brands, and although the bar staff were very efficient, they certainly do not know how to make decent cocktails! Don't be tempted to have a Mojito...what you will get is an abomination and is awful. The hotel is stuck in a time warp and needs RIU to invest some much needed love and money in it to bring it up to standard. It is a shame really, because it could be so much better. Two other thing to consider if you have booked with Thomson, in their brochure they rate this hotel as 4T's - this is very misleading as the official rating is 3 star and I would say this hotel just about reaches this 3 rating. So please, Thomson stop enhancing official ratings! Also, we paid extra for a sea view room, this is a complete waste of money because we saw by walking around outside the hotel, that approx 90% of the rooms have a view of the sea and by the laws of probability you will get a sea view room without paying extra.

Room Tip: We were in Room 503 at the back of the hotel and you will get woken very early by the sounds of the...
2 Thank genie26c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (940)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My parter and I stayed between the 5th-12th of July. After a few days, my parter fell ill with sickness (vomiting) and diarrhea. She was bed ridden. Completely ruined our holiday. This lasted for 4 of the 7 days we were on holiday. We spoke to the rep, and filled a formal sickness complaint - haven't heard back from them like they promised.

The sea/sand looked beautiful - shame we couldn't enjoy it.

Based on our experience, I'd say stay look elsewhere, or for another nearby hotel.

3 Thank John R
Winsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is our 2nd visit to the Riu Oliva Beach Hotel, we last stayed here in May 2012 for 10 days and had no complaints. This time we stayed for one week 12th - 19th July. On this ocassion we travelled with family. Before we even travelled, I e:mailed the hotel to request two rooms together with pool/sea views as when booking this with First choice they wanted an additional payment. The hotel e:mailed me back within a couple of days to acknowledge my request and advised they could not guarantee but would try their best. When we arrived the reception staff were very friendly and we got the views we requested. The staff in general are all very friendly, maid service was every day and sheets were changed mid week. The hotel is dated but clean and tidy, I would not have said it is a four star more like a 3, but I have been advised that they are hoping to invest in the next couple of years so maybe it can turn around to a four again.
The entertainment is lacking, but I even found that when we stayed at a different four star at xmas!
There are plenty of sunloungers, but if you want a specific area, then its a case of, if you can't beat them, join them to reserve your loungers.
The food was basic and repetative, but for an all inclusive with so many guest to cater for, it was fine with plenty of choice (my sister in law is very fussy and she had no problems!)
Beach is stunning, which is a plus and being right outside, this part does not belong to the hotel so loungers are at a cost, but it is nice to have a change.
Overall I would recommend this hotel as we have not had any issues during both our stays

Room Tip: We have stayed on 2nd floor pool/sea view with no real issues
1 Thank Dawn H
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Ok, just arrived back early this morning from this resort and my review is honest and based on my own experiences rather than what others have said in previous reviews. I was a bit apprehensive about staying here after reading some recent negative reviews but this hotel was not all bad. Firstly the staff in the entire hotel were great although we never had any real problems so do not know how they would have reacted in solving any such issues however, the few requests and enquiries we made were dealt with in a polite and professional manner - although it would have helped if they could all speak a little English. 8.5/10

Secondly, the rooms - we booked two rooms and I had requested higher rooms with sea/pool views a few weeks prior to travelling. I never got a response from the hotel directly but I had also put in the request with Firstchoice who did respond to say they had forwarded my request to the hotel. Our request was granted and we did get the two rooms next to each other and on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool and the beach/sea. The rooms were excellent and very clean. The views from the balcony were the best we have ever had from any hotel room. The only bugbear here was no tea making facilities in the room so had to go to the restaurant/bar area every time we wanted a hot drink and as we are 90% teetotallers, this was a real pain in the proverbial. The maid cleaned the room everyday and it was like a new room after she finished so excellent job there. 9/10

Food - We were all inclusive and so made the most of it. The food was good but a bit repetitive and there was no Paella which was a bit of a disappointment as I had hoped to try some Spanish food but all we got here was geared up for tourists with pasta, salads, grilled/fried pork, chicken and beef - no lamb for some reason. Some more authentic Spanish food would not have gone amiss. Snacks were the same everyday with chicken/beef burgers and the usual chips, salad and ice cream. Breakfasts were also the usual fare with cereals, breads, fry ups (but not the British fry up) etc...We did not fancy the Canarian restaurant menu so went to the Asian restaurant one night and this was ok, only ok!! The main buffet restaurants were the best for food. The only bugbear as far as food was concerned was that many of the dishes did not specify what meat was in them and the chefs did not speak English. Now this was important for me as I do not eat beef dishes so a simple labelling system would have been good. Still there was a wide choice and range of dishes to please most people. The bars and drinks station all over the place were good and satisfactory. Drinks were the usual fizzy and still drinks and the alcohol drinks were good as were the cocktails and mocktails. 7/10

Entertainment - well it was what it was - not the west end but the staff tried very hard to please and for me they succeeded - we only watched three shows during the last three days of our stay and it was not too bad - better than some at other hotels and luckily it was not all for 2-7 year olds as seems to be the case in a lot of hotels these days. Daytime activities were also not bad and varied and they had a timetable of events you could follow if you wanted to but we just did our own thing. The games room in the basement could do with being re-located to the outdoors or an air-conditioned room as it got too hot down there. I never used the gym but it looked good. There was a card room which we used everyday and found useful to while away the last hour of the day before retiring to bed. 8/10

Overall - this was a 3star hotel and for that it was satisfactory and good - do NOT assume it to be a 4/5 star otherwise you may be disappointed. The location of the hotel is what I fell in love with and was not disappointed in any way. There were guests from other countries including Italy, Spain, Netherlands, France and of course Germany and the Germans made up the bulk of the guests and whilst I have nothing against them, they did tend to be a bit noisy and overbearing but no other problems. Sunbeds by the poolside were available everyday and all were reserved by 8.30 - 9.00 am but you could still get them away from the pool most of the day. The beach ones had to paid for and did not belong to the hotel. Pool towels were provided through a token system but you had to use your own towels for the beach - again no problems here if you take your own.

We only ventured into the annexe area of the hotel a couple of times but did not stay there so cannot really comment on this side of the hotel although we did meet a few people who were staying there and they were happy with everything. The main hotel pool itself was busy but large enough to accommodate the number of people frequenting it. There was also a kiddie pool and an outdoor Jacuzzi but the water in this was cold. The hotel could do with another pool although there is one in the annexe as well.

Finally, would I recommend this hotel to friends/family - YES I would as it was good.
Would I return here myself - NO I would not - Reason ?? We never return to the same hotel twice no matter how good it is as we prefer to try new places/hotels & new experiences every time we go on holiday. Total scoring out of 10 is 8/10

Hope you find this honest review helpful.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a sea view room for the best type of room and on a higher floor before you travel...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank shakey k
Stoke
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here for a week 9 July and had a lovely break. The hotel is lovely, spotless clean and the food is excellent. We do not have a single complaint and the staff, particularly reception staff are very friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Annex and admit that after reading some of the reviews were a little concerned but our concerns were all for nothing because it was perfect. I might also add that we have travelled all over and stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels and this one holds its own with all of them. Perfect for families.

Room Tip: If you have children the annexe pool front are ideal.
1 Thank carolStoke
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I booked here before reading any reviews and sadly I wish I had read them. I cannot fault the staff or the cleanliness, but this hotel needs a lick of paint everywhere and some running repairs.the tiles in the bathroom were in a sorry state and curtains in a top window were hanging off.the balcony walls desperately needed a coat of paint. I am not a fussy holiday make but I was saddened to see that there were no double beds at all and as I took my teenage son, very little privacy. We were shown two other rooms one was hardly any difference at all and the other was in the hotel itself rather than a family bungalow and was tiny. The food we found to be really good and lots of choice and location is excellent and right on the beach. I would only recommend this hotel if it was a bargain but at €2400 for the week for three of us I thought it was over priced. The most annoying thing as usual was the fact that all sunbeds were "reserved" with towels, way before breakfast and hotel staff were not willing to do anything about it. Even chairs got reserved for the football final in the hotel and a lough is complained they told me to remove towels rather than do it themselves ?! A bit if a let down for a RIU hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Luton
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Me and my partner booked to stay in the riu from 12th July-19th July. As soon as we arrived to the airport we were greeted by a Thomson rep and found our coach easily. Our rep traveled with us to our hotel where we were checked in right away and went straight for food as we got there quiet late. Staff were very friendly and happy to help at all times. The hotel is situated in the most beautiful place and the view we had from our room was amazing. Paella by the pool was lovely and there was two pans made which meant it was practically being served fresh. There may have been a few minor cracks and dents in tiles and walls, however they didn't make any difference at all to our holiday and we only noticed them by looking for them (due to other reviews and photos) otherwise they're hardly recognisable. The food was decent enough and there was variety, freshly cooked and cooked well. The staff were also happy to help with public transport queries and were happy to help with information about excursions and things to do outside of the hotel. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would happily book to stay there again. :-).

• Stayed July 2014
11 Thank Sara0008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corralejo
Hotel Riu Palace Tres Islas
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
#7 of 45 in Corralejo
Occidental Jandia Playa

Been to ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort? Share your experiences!