“Great hotel for service and the beach”

ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel on lovely sandy beach which stretches for miles. The whole hotel and annexe area is well kept and clean. The staff are always very helpful, the work very hard to make your holiday enjoyable and they all have a greeting for you and a lovely smile.

Good selection of soups, hot food and salads are on offer with varied menus during the week. The catering through tends to be more for the German clientèle though and I suppose that is because Thompson and Tui are a German owned company and the majority of guests are German.

The pool areas do get busy later in the day but I never had a problem getting a sunbed in the morning.

The rooms are clean but need updating as still has old furniture and tvs in the rooms.

In the pool bar and in the evenings the bar staff work incredibly hard and you do not have to wait usually to get your drink or cocktail.

This year and every year the entertainment team was and has been very disappointing for the evening shows. There again some people thought they were wonderful, so you would have to make your own mind up on that one. There are two days a week, a Wednesday and Sunday when the hotel usually have professional entertainment for an hour which has usually been very good. Not much to do in the evening unless you go to the nearest town which I think is about 5 miles away. A taxi would cost around 10 euros each way.

The Wi-fi room certainly needs furniture replacement and there is a charge of 20 euros a week for each item you use. ie; ipad, phone, laptop. which could work out expensive per week if you want two or more items on wi-fi.

The location on the beach is lovely but can sometimes be very windy, so plenty of sun cream if you spend the day down there.

This was my sixth time of staying and still I had a great holiday. The only let down for me is the hotel entertainment.

Room Tip: Hotel with sea view pool side on higher floors, if you want scenic views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank John M
Write a ReviewReviews (3,923)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just come back from a 10 day holiday 23 July to 2 August 2014 ,I give it 10/10 The hotel is only 35 minutes from the airport. On arriving the hotel staff are friendly and very helpful. We had a great room 732 over looking the swimming pool the views are fantastic The hotel is spotless every ware the staff work very hard to keep it this way the manager must be very proud of his team .There was no need to get up early for a sunbed there was plenty around with even more available at 3 euros on the beach ,the sea is so blue and the sand so clean and soft, stunning. I cannot praise this hotel and its position enough. My two teenager daughters and my wife have had a great relaxing holiday all inclusive is great no need to carry money for food and drinks just help yourself its all included. The only tour we went on was to the Oasis zoo it was excellent, my daughters feed giraffes and elephants I even got picked to have a python snake around me on stage. the setting and gardens are beautiful a good day out. I must say thank you to the reception for sending me a bottle of champagne and chocolates for my birthday a great thought. For sun bathing swimming or for just relaxing at the bar then you will love this hotel and its position

Room Tip: Pick sea view over the swimming pool room 732
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Martin P
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Firstly I'd like to set the record straight regarding the negative reviews. I really don't know what planet these people are on, they are certainly deluded when it comes to expectations. These are probably the same people who turn up in the dining room with rucksacks & sheepishly pull out water bottles and proceed to fill them up from the water station despite the sign asking you not to do it. I mean that's a massive saving of €1.60 for 5 litres at the supermarket at the gate of the complex.
I know at some all inclusive's water is free unfortunately it's not here but it's no big deal.
Then there's the guy who stares at the toaster & then proceeds to stuff a croissant in it, doesn't fit so he then prods it with a knife, when the smoke started I quickly walked away, Crazy people!
So the positives
Location, right on the white sand beach, €7 taxi to Correlejo. Perfect
Food. Great choice & varied defiantly not German based as some implied
Drink. On tap, beer wine soft drinks
Served from bar spirits cocktails & cava.
Didn't rate the wine but stayed at other riu & it was same.
Other drinks are all perfectly palatable
Restaurants. Avoid the main restaurant in main building only ate here on arrival & never again, too crowded & hot.
The restaurant in the annexe is same food but much more pleasant experience with Air con
Asian is well worth a visit we ate twice in the weeks stay both times really nice.
Canarian, very nice too ate there once.
Rooms. We stayed in the annexe with a garden view. Large room with a south facing balcony again very nice. Although I did see some rooms had a less favourable outlook. They are looking a bit dated but not too sad.
Entertainment. Typical hotel style they tried but don't expect Vegas.
Facilities. Gym ok, table tennis table are next to each other so makes difficult when playing at same time. Pool in annexe is great but can get busy.
Bars. Lots of bar staff never had to queue for drinks
To summarise we had an excellent weeks stay at Oliva beach & on value for money alone I will give it 5 stars. Please don't misinterpret this as being a 5 star resort because it's not.
I would return as a family but maybe not as a couple as Club Magic Life in Jandia is better but more expensive
All in all a great holiday.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Simon H
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is our third visit to this hotel and it is still perfect , it might not b upmarket as some people want but the staff are the most hard working you will ever find . Ignore the bad reviews that say be aware of the bugs and sickness we was there at that time and I would say I didnt see any illness or anyone complain and alot of people sunbathe without cream of drink water and then are sick bringing it on themselves and blaming hotel . Take no notice go its a beautiful island

Room Tip: Just go you wont be disappointed
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank james h
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Me and my fiancee have just returned home from a 7 night stay here (23/07/14 to 30/07/14) and we had a absolutely brilliant holiday, we cannot fault this hotel at all. Everything and i mean everything was excellent, the location on the beachfront , all the staff, the hotel, the room, the sea views, the food, the price of the holiday (we paid 1,050 pounds for 2 adults all inclusive, and would gladly have paid more!) what a fantastic holiday. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone (while we were there we did not hear anyone complain, all we heard was the highest praise about this hotel). We will DEFINITELY return to holiday here again and we would go back tomorrow if we could. Thank you very much to ALL STAFF at this hotel for all your help in making our holiday absolutely brilliant, and we will see you all again as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the sixth or seventh floors, the views are beautiful.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank james7lynne4
Reviewed 31 July 2014

After reading so many negative reviews I was very apprehensive before arriving. I was really pleasantly surprised. The hotel was lovely - spotless everywhere, staff consistently cheerful and efficient, food was fab and delicious. Yes this is 3* I think the most critical should remember this as they booked it as such. The pools are small but why go to such an amazing beach and want to sit in a row of sunbeds with so many other people? ? Sit by the sea otherwise just go to your local lido. The drinks were on tap mainly and were good quality. Yes u pay for wifi but why not go and get away from it all? The entertainment was hit and miss but don't expect West End style at 3*. Some annexe rooms are in less picturesque locations so email a request to tour operator. My family loved this holiday and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank zan27
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from our first family holiday here. The hotel is split in 2 parts. Hotel and annexe. The main action goes on at hotel but to be honest we preferred the annexe. The rooms are huge and everything is on hand. My only gripe with Riu... and this is the 2nd Riu I've been to... is the entertainment finishes at 11 and the wine is crap. The food was great and these people that say its German oriented are taking crap. There was nothing missing from the British diet unless u want pie and mash every night lol. Corralejo is a 7 euro cab ride away which I would recommend. Not trashy and full of British bars but there if u want them. All in all around cum bk to Corralejo but not as a couple. Defo families with kids who want to be in bed by 11 tho.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family