“Decent enough hotel”

Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Decent enough hotel”
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I stayed at this complex last December with my girlfriend & her sister / husband.

We were located in one of the two storey buildings situated away from the sea / pool view of the main building, the couple that traveled with us paid extra to upgrade to said view though mentioned to us it was quite uncomfortable at night trying to sleep due to internal heat. We slept very well in our "basic" room, just a pity it was 2 single beds ;-(

We were here for just a week & unfortunately despite being Fuerteventura which is generally very reliable for tolerable sunshine weather we got 3-4 overcast days (it even "monsooned" one night, Corralejo main street was like a river at the lower end) but hey ho it was in December.

Overall couldn't complain about the resort; access directly to a private (I think?) stretch of wonderful beach via the pool area alongside another Riu hotel resort. Rooms spacious, excellent levels of cleanliness, staff extremely friendly.

There's 2 Al a Carte restaurants on offer (Mandarin & Canary Island cuisine) that you can book once a week that I both found very agreeable food-wise. I don't have a particularly refined palate so providing it's hot & fresh I'm happy enough. The food in general was of good quality with plenty of meat, poultry & fish options on offer. As mentioned though I'm a man of simple plain tastes so I never found the food repetitive. The snack bars are lovely too & I must have eaten dozens of the light cheese & ham toasties they served up in place of set meals!

I wasn't sure what "lager" they were serving up but both myself & the other bloke I was with weren't impressed with the non-chilled "beer" (no amount of lime cordial could improve it). I was at the 3 star Oasis Village in Corralejo earlier in the year & even they made an effort on the beer front by serving chilled San Miguel in their AI package. Girls highlighted that there were lots of different cocktails on offer of good quality & that the wine was decent enough at least.

Another negative was the stereotypical "older Germans en masse" experience at this resort with their blatant rude behaviour. I genuinely believed their perceived proclivity towards "towel-tagging" sun loungers & aggressively jumping queues was an exaggeration on the part of cynical older fellow Brits until I had my personal week long experience of it. Their behaviour towards the bar staff as well & basic lack of courtesy... I am struggling to articulate how rude they were at times. We met 2 older amicable Scots couples there as well who echoed our sentiments.

It's a great resort in a great location (5-10min taxi ride from Corralejo main street), just a pity about some of the guests there.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank GlasgowGreg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (932)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 13 July 2010

We were met at the airport by the First choice rep and directed to our coach that took us to the hotel. On the way the rep recommended we use phone cards to make cheap calls to the U.K. We took his recommendation. On arrival at the hotel the coach driver tore off the side pocket of the suitcase as he was off loading it. It took over a week of asking before the rep came up with an accident form.
The last couple of days of our stay my partner became ill. On departure we were checking out when we were told we owe €127 in telephone bills from the card that was recommended to us. We paid up because I was more concerned about my partners health than the bill. It was later I checked it and discovered we never made the calls that were itemised. I showed this to the rep and he agreed saying the same calls were charged twice or call times which over ran each other. The rep did take it up with the management, but our coach was leaving so I was given contact numbers to pursue it from the UK. It took 13 months before I got any response from the management at R.I.U. probably only got a reply because I was writing to them every week for the the 13 months. It's obvious to me they were trying to avoid the issue. When they did eventually reply they told me it's been a long time and would be hard to rectify it. I replied to say if they communicated with me from the beginning this would not have happened. Finally they said they checked the bill and found no discrepancies and their responsible staff were correct. There's a contradiction there. First, they couldn't prove it as a long time had passed, 2nd when they did find the telephone bill which they couldn't find in the first letter there "responsible" staff saw no problem. That's just plain dishonesty.
I won't be travelling with First Choice or staying at R.I U. Hotels again out of principle

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LondonCockney
Glasgow
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I remember the days when TripAdvisor was full of rational people... it seems to long ago now!

Let's all take a deep breath and deal with facts. First of all (and this is worth knowing) this hotel is scheduled for demolition in 5 years, purely because of its location. The dunes that it resides in are now a National Park and there have been ongoing negotiations with the local government over the future of the hotel. If I owned this hotel and knew that it wasn't going to be around in 5 years then I would not be spending vast amounts of money refurbishing it, and this shows in some areas of the hotel.

I would try to avoid the annexe- it is old self-catering style accommodation, with the kitchen areas now removed and the buildings are tired and poorly set out. The main hotel is better, with the standard "Canarian style" room with balcony.

Our check-in was swift, greeted warmly in very clear English and with nice touches such as noticing that it was my birthday the previous day and congratulating me. It is nice to get a room safe without having to provide a payment or deposit and the room is generally well equipped.

It stuns me that people are surprised that when they book a hotel in the Canaries they seem to be sharing it with a large percentage of Europeans. First of all, Riu is owned by Tui Group (a German Company), who also own Thomsons, First Choice, etc. So, what exactly were you expecting? Would you be expecting a hotel that caters to 80% Germans to ignore their preferences in favour of yours? As it is, I think that the food and entertainment DO make allowances for other countries and it really depresses me when people travel all that great distance to sit down to eat and consume in the same manner that they do back home.

When you do fly in, please also make note that this is an island i.e. surrounded by water. Also note the lack of lush grazing pastures for cattle on your way from the airport. Please then do not be surprised that there is a lot of fish on the menu- again, what exactly were you expecting? As it is, (again) there is a decent range of food on offer (although not as large a range as previous Riu hotels we have stayed at) and the quality was good to excellent.

Value- we paid £850 each for 14 days with a sea view in the main hotel. After you subtract your flight costs and transfers, then divide that by the number of days you can then offer a sensible opinion on value. At an All Inclusive you tend to eat and drink more than you normally would on holiday and this also has to be factored in and I do think some reviewers are being a little harsh.

Trips- I would recommend the Oasis Park VIP package. It's a nice park, with a good guide (Tori) and a pretty good lunch included. You get a great camel ride, 3 animal shows and the kids get to feed the animals!

Entertainment- yes it varies in quality, but the outside entertainment was very good(the Chinese Acrobats and Tango Passion were superb) and the Animation Crew did try hard, but also have to be jack of all trades in this hotel. They will be up before you in the morning, stuck entertaining brats all day and then trying to find a common funny bone amongst several different nations in front of them every second night. If you don't like it the alternative is that you take a little stroll over to the sister Riu hotel next door and watch their shows.

Grumbles- the only issues we had was with a group of four teenage girls from London that had clearly booked the wrong type of hotel for their needs and proceeded to get drunk and rowdy on their first night. The management did come out and deal with them and they were quiet for the rest of the holiday.

So, to summarise, this is a decent hotel in its last few years of existence in a nice location with some good food and decent entertainment.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Redspecial2000
Spain
Reviewed 4 July 2010

We arrived at the same time as 180 other guests. The reception staff were fantastic, quickly issuing us with all inclusive bands and taking our passports to allocate a room. within an hour we all were allocated rooms, and we had a cold beer and a snack while we waited.
Our accomodation was low rise appartments over the road from the main high-rise hotel. We found we had to do plenty of walking to get to a bar or a restaurant. (the one restaurant near us was closed) There was a pool near us but no other facilities. Our appartments were clean, modern and well equipped but the main hotel complex was a 5 minute walk away, a bit annoying every time you want something.
The pools were not big enough for the number of guests and quickly became cowded, so you had to go to the beach even if you would have preferred to sit by the pool. The were plenty of sun loungers around the garden areas, but we prefer a pool to cool off in. The beach was just passed the hotel. It was a huge expanse of sand which continued into the dunes. The kids enjoyed a short camel ride as a novelty, but were pleased to get off after 5 -10 minutes.
The food was not as good as I expected. The main restaurant provided excellent choice in the evenings but the lunchtime menu was too much burgers and chips for us.
The evening entertainment was appalling. The worst we have ever experienced.
Unfortunately the hotel is out of town, a 15 minute walk or a short bus or taxi ride away.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank AlvinTheChipmunk
manchester
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We had booked the olivia hotel as it had been classed as a "decent all inclusive hotel which caters for families with young children and can be very relaxing on both beach and pool"!
ok we got there late as flight had been delayed and check in was fast and great as kids were tierd. your given a map to find your apartment and i have to say as i had previously read on here yes it was in need of repair and updating but was comfortable. cot and bed set up and ready to go and cases were bought straight to our room. we hired a kettle from reception as we needed to steralise baby bottles but you do need to put deposit of 10euros down! 2 BOTTLES OF WATER A DAY FREE FROM RECEPTION.restaurant in annex is great and near apartments but v busy. u either nd to go early or late ish for it to be quiet. food is varied and as stated in other reviews very geared towards germans.
germans germans germans everywhere and by the end of the holiday we found ourselves being just as rude back!
the pools were freezing and not at all heated. every morning there was cloud until 12ish then the sun appeared until 5ish then cloud again and that was the routine for the whole 10 days we were there! TAKE A SWEATER OR JACKET for night time as the wind is cool!
the nighttime entertainment is definatly geared for the germans and gets annoying after a bit and to be honest your lucky to even get a seat in the area of the night time shows as the germans have taken them.
whilst we were there the kids club was 99% german hence our daughter not wanting to go in and then there was nothing at night time for her to do.
camels are on the beach ready to take people into the dunes on walks for 6euros but beaware the dunes are used for nudists.. no doubt about it the beach is amazing but v windy and the sand just flys everywhere.
our 6mth old ended up having an ear infection whilst we were there. a trip to the hotel dr cost us 60euros for a consultation of 5 mins then a trip into town for a 15euro medicine.
there is a british 24hr clinic avail in the centre.
we did find the hotel v clean and to be honest the food was ok.u definatly wont go hungry.
we left the hotel on the wed am and got on plane but the plane had a "technical fault" and we ended up being shipped to the shelton hotel overnight where tompson were brilliant.we ended up flying the following day but the rep was on hand all the time for info etc. all in all we had a relaxing hol but wudnt go back due to germans and the weather.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank cook4646
Ely, Cambs
Reviewed 27 June 2010

I usually avoid AI as im very fussy about what i eat/drink, as in the quality. i have had a couple of previous AI holidays which have been ruined by poor quality food & drink & have ended up eating & drinking outside the hotel most of the week. Whilst I agree with the comments about the menu being very repetitive, i disagree with those who say the food is poor. I have eaten at many top London resturants as part of my job & whilst i would hardly compare the food to those, i would say that the quality of the food was in my opinion good enough. There was plenty of choice each day, it was just that most days it was the same choice presented in a different way. The chefs cook alot of it fresh while you wait which is a plus in my opinion. I managed to find plenty to eat each day. If however you are looking for English breakfasts then you will be disappointed, i lost count of the number of old dears who said to me that the food was nice, except they didnt do English bacon, thats probably because funnily enough, we were off the African coast & not in England. If you want English bacon then go to one of those 'exclusively for customers in the UK' type Thomson hotels, im sure they serve it there. They did do chips & burgers at lunch & in the snack bar & pizza in the evening although i didnt try them. There are also two themed resturants, the Canarian one is similar to the buffet but they do a nice steak & the Mandarin one was a nice change, but book early as they fill up quickly. Gentlemen are requested to wear long trousers in the evening which some people chose to ignore (sadly they were mostly English). The drinks were also better than my past experiences. Coke,Fanta, tea, coffee & beer were all available throughout on a help yourself basis & the pool side bars would make you up a cocktail, sangria or anything else you wanted off the menu. The bars in the evening even offered sparkling wine & my G&T on the first night was made with Gordons gin. I stayed in the hotel (paying an extra £94 for two) & would agree that the rooms are probably not 4 stars when compared with those in the UK, however, they were very clean & much better than the odd 3 star hotels i've strayed into in Europe. If you think Travel Inn/Premier Inn you wont be disappointed. Ladies with hair longer than their shoulders may want to bring a hairdryer as the ones in the rooms are those rubbish hose ones. My room was on the second floor, next to the lifts/maids rooms & my one regret was not asking to change rooms as it was unbelievably noisey. The bin men turned up every day at 4.45am!!! having paid extra to upgrade i would have liked a better room as there were plenty of people in the hotel who didnt pay the extra & got lucky but as the hotel was full i didnt think i would get moved. I never had a problem getting a sunbed on the roof terrace (the best place in my opinion, away from the pool & kids) & had a parasol everyday, except one & i didnt go looking until after 10 most days & even then there were plently available down by the pool or near the beach. There were a few older ladies from Manchester there who got the best sun beds every day over looking the pool so they held their own with the Germans. Being in the hotel also gets you pool towels changed daily & easy access to bottled water from reception which was a plus. The entertainment team were not my cup of tea but if thats your thing then again you may be very disappointed. The team worked very hard all day & night but the French & Germans did seem to dominate everything entertainment. We had more fun watching the Germans laugh hysterically at something that was in my opinion rubbish. The staff overall were some of the most friendly & cheerful staff I have encountered abroad. Finally, there is little else to do outside the hotel (other than the fantastic beaches & lovely blue sea & the nudest beach next door if you want to laugh at the Germans a bit more) but a taxi into town ordered by reception will only cost you 5 or 6 euros but it is like any other town in the Canaries/Spain. Overall if you just want a week of relaxation away from it all in a pleasant setting, then i would recommend this hotel. It is certainly big enough to occupy you for a week. I had toyed with going to the more expensive HB Riu Palace next door but in the end am pleased I didnt as i definately got good value for money & think if the price was right i would return to this hotel but request a higher room towards the beach if i paid the extra to secure the hotel part again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ggirl38
Copenhagen
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We stayed for 7 nights at the Oliva beach and were a family of 3 adults and an 8 year old. We stayed in a Family room in the Annex and whereas the room was spacious enough, the furniture was very basic and not what we expected from a 4 star Riu hotel.

The All Inclusive deal was good value. For all 3 daily meals there was plenty to choose from, the variation for each meal could be improved though. The selection of drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) under the All Inclusive plan was great.

For some reason there are no pool towels supplied in the Annex (other reviewers have pointed this out as well) and we don't understand why. This should be corrected by Management soonest.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corralejo
Hotel Riu Palace Tres Islas
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
#7 of 45 in Corralejo
Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa

Been to ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort? Share your experiences!