“family holiday”
Review of Oasis Duna Hotel

Oasis Duna Hotel
Ranked #29 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Reviewed 29 July 2014

When we arrived after long journey only had one receptionist so took ages to sort room. The room was very basic not as described in brochure as superior accommodation. The pools were really good my daughter enjoyed being in them.pool areas were good if u managed to get a sunbed. Food ok the sweet section was poor. Entertainment in the evening was rubbish. Overall the holiday wasn't cheap expected better quality wouldn't go again.

Room Tip: Lower number away from entertainment area else noise till late
1  Thank yvette r
Write a ReviewReviews (2,576)

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from this hotel and really can't understand the bad comments regarding this hotel. We stayed in block b2 and had no issues with the room being too hot not even for our 3 year old son, the rooms are quite basic but have everything you need for a comfortable stay, the pool area is fantastic whether you're 3 or 63 it will suit you, the food can become a bit repetitive but always found something to eat.
if like me you have never been to corralejo you are in for a real treat we as a family have fell in love with this resort it is by far the most comfortable family friendly place I have ever visited, it has it's authentic Spanish side it's slightly cheesy English side but none if the usual harassment you get In resorts like this, it is so laid back and friendly you will love it,

If you like a beach like us be sure to jump in a taxi (€5) to the Riu hotels beach, it has lifeguards and is by far the best beach we visited miles and miles of white sand and turquoise waters.

You will see cockroaches but they were not an issue even though we had a ground floor room and slept with the window open every night.

In summary we are off to the travel agents on Monday and will be returning to this hotel. WE LOVED IT

Stayed: July 2014
21  Thank carlson2702
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Myself, boyfriend and son stayed here July 16th-23rd. First impressions were good the outside of the hotel is in a nice ranch style. The reception staff were helpful and we didn't have long to wait for our room. The room itself was ideal nice and basic, the bedroom was airy the lounge area was stuffy at night though we did have a fan already in the room which was helpful( we didn't hire it).
The pool area was nice and plenty going on for the kids. However the usual lets go down and put our towels on sunbeds so no one who actually wants to go down to the pool and use them happened a lot!!! One morning we went down at 10am to use the pool area and there were no sun beds but plenty with towels on with no one in site using them. There are plenty of signs around saying no reserving of sun beds yet no one is enforcing it. I stayed at hotel in lanzarote where they would remove towels if no one used them within 30 minutes. Maybe this hotel needs to start doing something like this. The pool bar is a rip off for drinks, there is a supermarket on site where you can get a can of tropical for less than 1euro. The food isn't too bad for lunch around the pool.
WIFI isnt free at the hotel and you had to pay per device so waited until we went into town to use wifi in the bars etc. Also there are no hairdryers in the room so bring your own. To hire a safe is 26euro you get 10 back when you leave.
The main town itself is nice. If you go down to the end of the main road to the music square there are a lot of nice resturants and little bars. We also came across a really nice irish bar called mccarthys just off the main road which had live music every night and really friendly staff. The harbour is a really nice part of the town when we went there were a lot of mini festivals going on.

16  Thank sian b
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Oasis Dunas from 9th-17th July. We are both in our early 20's and we loved every second.

We arrived late and were staying half board so they kept the restaurant open for us so we could eat after a long journey which was a nice start.

The reception staff were so helpful, giving us advice in where to go, booking excursions for us both and just the general friendliness of the place made it great.

The rooms were good, nice and clean. The maids came every few days. We did also have a bit of a leaky tap, we mentioned it on reception when we went out for the day, and when we came back it was sorted. Satisfactory.

As mentioned before we stayed there half board. Me and my partner love a good cooked breakfast, and we weren't disappointed. There was a good variety, only grumble was the scrambled egg...but I am not that fussy to let that affect my opinion. Night time meals had a nice variety, I am a vegetarian and was limited slightly, but this did actually encourage me to try beef and squid for the first time! Dessert wasn't for me, but I was usually full after the excitement of it being a buffet service. The staff in the restaurant are troupers. They work so hard in the heat god bless them! Was really good service all week!

The pool area was brilliant, snacks from the pool bar were lovely and reasonably priced. We both enjoyed all of the activities that the animation team provided, and we found ourselves playing water polo 3 times in the week. It was good to see grown men enjoying the activities as well! My partner also went off for a few hours to play in a football tournament, which gave me a few hours of peace on a sun lounger (no need to queue for them).

Night time entertainment seemed like a lot of fun, we both agreed that it would be a fantastic place to bring our children one day, (when we have them). We only really stuck around for the bingo every evening and then ventured out to different bars in the evenings, but everyone looked to be enjoying themselves. The hotel shows all big football matches, and we all watched the World Cup Final all sat round a big projector. Drinks are reasonable.

We booked through Thomas Cook and so had a week pass to the baku waterpark, as a freebie we absolutely loved this. We went there 2/3 times, for a few hours, and didn't get bored, but we are big kids!

Overall, Correlejo is an amazing place, there is so much to do, we went on a catamaran over to Lanzerote, cost us 59 euros each for the day, lunch and all the drinks (beer, wine, sangria, champagne cocktails) were included, and the use of a jetski and snorkelling equipment! This was recommended and booked for us by Elena on reception. She was our favourite, absolutely lovely and so helpful!!
We both agreed that we would be more than happy to return next year!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
14  Thank bilski58
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have just arrived and this is what I have had to contend with.

VERY BASIC room with no Air conditioning, but wait!!! We can hire a fan if we like...!!!

WIFI not available unless you subscribe £25 for 2 weeks (not bad) until... PER DEVICE!!!! so the kids ipads, my mac, mrs mac, my ipad, my iphone, mrs iphone would be... £175!!!! #SCAM!!!!

Safe is the most expensive i have paid... £27 for 2 weeks

TV, fancy a bit of Spanish TV, kids have gone to bed... at £3.75 per day .... Erm... Nope.

So i have 2 kids MELTING in their room on night one, 13 to go :( - I am really up for looking for another hotel tomorrow if there are any available.

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!!!

I will be calling our rep in the morning...

5  Thank Philip B
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Let me start off by saying that I'm not one for writing reviews, just reading them. However, I feel compelled to write one for once due to what I feel are harsh comments that may put people off this hotel.

My boyfriend and I stayed here from 14th - 21st of July and had an amazing time.

Pool area:
Probably the best of any hotel I've ever stayed in. Pools are huge, not too cold but lovely and refreshing for when you need a break from lounging in the sun. Pools are filled with salt water, which to me didn't sound too appealing but didn't end up being a problem. There are slides for the kids to play on, which looked really fun but at 22 I feel like I might have raised a few eyebrows having a go on them myself! Don't know what people are on about with the sunloungers - there were always some available when we looked. They only seemed to be in short supply from about 11am, so there's certainly no need to be up at the crack of dawn to bag yourself one.

Rooms:
I emailed a few days prior to arrival to request a first floor apartment (assumed the higher up you are the safer you are from cockroaches!) with a pool view. We got exactly that, literally right next to the pool - room A112, if you're interested. I think that this was one of the refurbished ones. The apartment, including towels and bed linen, was clean. Maids came every couple of days and seemed pleasant enough - they didn't change the bedding but I don't understand why we'd need it changing as we were only there a week. Towels were changed a couple of times. My only issue with the room was the unbearable heat - there's no air conditioning! A fan was provided, but this did little to stifle the heat and I did find it pretty difficult to sleep for this reason. I think this would be less of an issue if you went outside of the summer months, though. I wouldn’t recommend a first floor apartment to a family with young children, as the steps leading up to the balcony are quite steep and ungated.

Food:
BIGGEST COMPLAINT. We were half board, but oh how we wish we'd never bothered. I've stayed half board/all inclusive in a lot of 3 star hotels and so I know what to expect, but this was something else. Even the cooked breakfasts which are usually hard to get wrong weren't great. Evenings consisted of questionable meat in dodgy sauces, and plain pasta. We actually only bothered with the half board restaurant a few times before giving up completely. However - and this is where my annoyance starts - the pizzeria restaurant (not included in HB) next door serves AMAZING food. This clearly shows that the chefs are more than capable of producing tasty food.. but only if you're paying for it! Same goes for the pool bar - ate there during the day a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. Prices were very reasonable, but that's not the point. That said, not bothering with the half board options allowed us to sample the local restaurants which we thoroughly enjoyed. I would advise anyone staying here to do so self catering - the kitchen facilities in the apartment weren't bad and there's so much to choose from in the town it'd be a shame not to.

Staff:
All very pleasant, particularly the waiters in the pizzeria restaurant. Blonde lady on reception can come across as quite abrupt but is very helpful should you require her assistance with anything, which I did on more than one occasion!

Entertainment:
Not something we really experienced ourselves with it not being our scene, however the daytime activities seemed to attract quite a crowd and people looked like they were enjoying themselves. The staff are very enthusiastic, and the mini disco for the kids in the evening seemed to go down a storm every night judging from the energetic squeals coming from the bar area.

Cockroaches:
IT IS A WELL KNOWN FACT THAT THE CANARY ISLANDS ARE HOME TO LOADS OF COCKROACHES. You WILL see them, no matter whether you’re staying in a 5* or 3* hotel. We’d see a couple in the hotel grounds by the pool area every night – believe me when I say I’m terrified of the things but I didn’t let them spoil our holiday. I just made sure that I shone the torch on my phone on the ground where I was walking so that I could avoid stepping on them! We were careful not to leave food out in the apartment to attract them and made sure that the doors and windows were fully secured at night and this seemed to pay off, as we didn’t see any in our apartment… until the last night when one decided it fancied a sleepover with us. I wasn’t best pleased, and the boyfriend acted like a bigger girl than I did, but a quick trip to reception and we were given a can of insect spray which finished it off. I’d recommend that you ask for this on your very first day and thoroughly spray around all potential entrances as a deterrent!

The resort:
We fell in love with Corralejo. There’s a bit of everything, from the amazing old town - which is authentic and Spanish as you get, to the array of restaurants and live music venues, and the slightly tacky English pubs – which are fun without being too in your face. The beaches are great, in particular the ‘Flag beach’ at the dunes, which is by far the most beautiful place I have ever been.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
22  Thank Rachael M
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

23/07/14 02:50 I write this while laying on the floor in the living room as I can't sleep (been like this all week) due to no air conditioning.

1. Stacey , candice , Ryan have been brilliant with the kids at kids club so thank you to them .

2 rooms dirty and not having bedding changed unless you pay for it is disgusting as you will be sweating all night due to the heat in the rooms , also most things broken .

3 pools and pool areas are safe and clean for kids but the life guard is rude and arrogant. If you want a sun bed be ready to get up at stupid o'clock as you won't get one otherwise.

4 location is really good and every place we eat at has been really good (if you like Chinese go to slow boat 2 buffet you won't be disappointed) baku water park was a complete was of time and money as we had young kids 7 & 4 and wasn't allowed to go hardly anything even though we had a 7 day we went there once.

I would definitely come back to corralejo but I'd stay well clear on this hotel just because of the fact the place ain't got air conditioning and the rooms need complete updating.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family