“Great family hotel and location”
Review of Oasis Duna Hotel

Oasis Duna Hotel
Ranked #30 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We (family of 3) have just returned from spending the last 7 days at the Oasis Duna.
After reading Trip Advisor and obsessing over the negative reviews I am please to report that my review and opinion of the Oasis is nothing like I had worried it would be.
The hotel upheld and read my request email that I had sent 3 weeks prior to our arrival, which for me was a positive straight away. I had requested a first floor apartment in Block B.

So lets get the negatives out of the way shall we:
* The sofa bed in the living area was in poor condition to the point that we didn't pull it out, my hubby ended up sleeping on it which wasn't ideal.
* The rooms do get very very hot especially at night, the temp in the living room one night was 27 degrees, that was about 2am.
* They provide you with a fan (ask if you don't get one in your room) although they don't do anything really. We took our own little fan which was a god send!
* The food isn't that great - Breakfast was ok and we managed to fill up on pancakes mainly and toast. Evening meal is very much of the same thing each night, there is only so much chips, pasta and rice you can eat. The meals that you make are very miss matched and my son (8yrs) struggled to eat anything most nights. We ended up eating out 4 nights out of the 7 which meant our budget was blown!
* My biggest moan is about the pool beds. People who say there are ample beds, where were they?? I had to get up most morning at 6.30am to go and put our towels out which I hate doing, some guests had been up since 4am! People had started throwing towels in the pool out of frustration and to be honest I can't blame them. Some people take up to 6 beds and don't even use them, families who have young children were struggling to find beds and shade, which is another issue, not enough parasols.
* The area around the apartments by us was not kept that clean, cigarette ends, general rubbish (litter) was gathering, its such ashame as the grounds and garden areas are lovely.
* Cockroaches - we only had a few baby ones in our apartment but the big boys are about mainly at night, when we walked back to the apartment we always noticed a few around the garden areas, I would imagine the guests on the ground floor apartment get them the most.
* The toilet area by the pool was not kept the cleanest, yes I know its hard with the amount of guests however the toilets do ask that toilet paper is not put down the toilet and placed in the waste bin instead, with the heat need I go on....
The floors were also very slippy, so be aware especially when in flip flops!
*If your looking for peace and quiet this probably isn't the hotel for you

Now lets have the positives:
* Great location - 5 mins walk to the right of the hotel and you are on the main strip, lots of great bars, restaurants, shops and the harbour area is lovely.
* Loads to do - Lots of great excursions (if you have the money) shop around though and don't book straight through your rep. We went on the buggy tour of the island (3hrs) which was amazing and went to the Oasis Park Zoo which was also amazing, a free bus ride to the zoo from the hotel at 9am each morning. Take extra money though as the extras are all payable (camel rides etc) not a cheap day out but worth it especially if you have kids. Very hot though.
* The weather - apparently it never rains, we saw temps up to 41 degrees the one day, with the lovely breeze/wind it is deceptive though and can catch you out, lots of cream and cover needed at certain times of the day
* The pools are fantastic, slides for the kids and graduation depth into the pool is a bonus especially if you are like me and prefer to gradually ease yourself into cold water! The pools are salt water though and after a while your eyes do get sore.
* the hotel grounds felt safe - this was important as there were lots of kids around, we happily allowed our 8 year old to 'wander' around playing on the small play area.
* Staff friendly/helpfull and hard working. We didn't really have many 'asks' but when we did they were always dealt with quickly. The Thomas Cook Team/Kids club etc work very hard in all the heat to entertain the kids and adults all through the day, Pool games, Kids Club entertainment at night - well done guys!! :)
Staff at the hotel equally hard working - pool bar staff and restaurant staff.
* Waterpark is across the road and gives you a break from the pool side at the hotel
* Local supermarkets sell cheaper drinks, water etc worth stocking up from the SuperDino.
* Great market on Friday and Tuesday across the road selling all the fake goods, bags, belts, caps etc - be prepared though to haggle for the final selling price (good fun though)
* The clock tower which is worth a walk up, the view is amazing at the top - nice little Italian restaurant at the bottom as well - good food :)

So to conclude - Our holiday was great, we would go back to Corralejo and see more of the island and travel over to Lanzarote. The hotel was comfortable and met our family needs for the 7 days we were there.

My advice - go make your own opinions and memories and don't read too much into reviews especially the negatives (like I did)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cosmicgirl1975

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Just returned from a 2 was stay in a superior apartment, on half board. The rooms are a disgrace, very dated, loads of cockroaches. When we went to reception we rec a aerosol to use to kill them, this only flushed more out. Sheets were only changed in one of the 2 bedrooms. The food is terrible, we ate there 4 out of 14 nights, flies are on the food, tables are just wiped down and are sticky on your arms. The brochure stated an adult only bar, but this never opened. You have to be up for 6:30am if you want a sunbed, people even put towels out the night before!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jeanette P
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned family of 4 -the main problems are the rooms - cockroaches at night -towels changed 3 times in the week -room swept and mopped3 times -I wouldn't say cleaned ! Linen not changed and with the heat I was glad to get back home to A nice clean bed -I'm shattered having to wake at 630 for a sun bed and sleep on a dirty little mattress (pull out bed) -positives are loads of activities for kids, good happy hours throughout the day - correlejo is beautiful and the bars and restaurants are fab

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank traveller3Uk
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my life we went last year and got there about 2am and we just wanted to go to bed when we got there and when we checked in and got to our room we were disgusted by the room the curtains were hanging off the pole and dead bugs all over the floor also a big thing for us with me having a bad back the beds were broken and that night I had the worst night sleep of my life. The next morning we went and complained about our room and then moved us to another room but that was just as bad and for the hole holiday I just thought I want to go home and so when I did get home I made loads of complaints and got out of £1789 I only got back £900 was not happy one bit!!!!!

Room Tip: don't go here at all!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank emilia r
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Payed for superior room seem just a box standered room, invaded by ants and cockroaches,Reception staff was did not seemed to be bothered.A fan that hardly worked,no soapdish in the shower unit.untidy grounds hundreds of cigaretts ends and litter.Food rubbish if you go half board can't make a decent meal each dish you have by it self or chips same thing every day. we ended up going out for meals.Table cloths not changed just wiped over and sticky.Some staff was ok but some arrogant when you asked to have something to be sorted out.Cleaners mopping the floor left residue of hair from other rooms.I could go on this is just half of it. Will never go back there for us a waste of money.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same no Air Con; Can't say what would be best area?
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Pauliliffe
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed here for 10days, the rooms were basic, but you get what you pay for, always kept clean and fresh towels. Apart from sleeping at night hardly spent time in the room so wasn't bothered by that so much.
The Pool are was huge, loads of room and the pools were great. Pool Bar wasn't that great. alwats plenty of sunbeds.
The entertainment was a good laugh in the evenings, the main bar was very good price wise and that staff would be there late enough if you fancied a few drinks late on after a night on the town.
Its a short stroll from the top of the strip. all in all I would give Oasis Dunas a 6/10.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We have just returned from oasis duna after a weeks stay self catering, after a week with my wife and two children I only saw my children when they were hungry as they spent nearly all the time in the 4 fantastic clean pools, this was the hotels biggest plus side and the only negatives I can say is that the rooms at night are very stuffy and hot, I would pay extra to have air con but wasn't available, also you have to get up early to get a sun bed other wise you won't get one even though there are apparently enough for every one in the hotel, (just shows how many people come into the hotel to use the pools!), the staff are very friendly and were only to happy to help when we needed there assistants, the entertainment team work tirelessly to entertain the kids and adults and there work sometimes is not seen by others, the evening entertainment on the complex was good, especially the reggae and bird show nights, we did witness two cockroaches in our room but once we told reception they dealt with it, and we never saw another (tip, don't leave food out in the open, we put all our food in the fridge) the on site pizza resturant food was ok, the pool bar food was good, don't miss out on the 2 for 1 drinks happy hour at 11-12 and 4-7 €3 for 2 pints not bad ;-).. All in all don't listen to or read the bad reviews on this hotel, the hotel was clean and tidy, and staff friendly what ever the need, I am all ready looking to go back again!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends