We (family of 3) have just returned from spending the last 7 days at the Oasis Duna.
After reading Trip Advisor and obsessing over the negative reviews I am please to report that my review and opinion of the Oasis is nothing like I had worried it would be.
The hotel upheld and read my request email that I had sent 3 weeks prior to our arrival, which for me was a positive straight away. I had requested a first floor apartment in Block B.
So lets get the negatives out of the way shall we:
* The sofa bed in the living area was in poor condition to the point that we didn't pull it out, my hubby ended up sleeping on it which wasn't ideal.
* The rooms do get very very hot especially at night, the temp in the living room one night was 27 degrees, that was about 2am.
* They provide you with a fan (ask if you don't get one in your room) although they don't do anything really. We took our own little fan which was a god send!
* The food isn't that great - Breakfast was ok and we managed to fill up on pancakes mainly and toast. Evening meal is very much of the same thing each night, there is only so much chips, pasta and rice you can eat. The meals that you make are very miss matched and my son (8yrs) struggled to eat anything most nights. We ended up eating out 4 nights out of the 7 which meant our budget was blown!
* My biggest moan is about the pool beds. People who say there are ample beds, where were they?? I had to get up most morning at 6.30am to go and put our towels out which I hate doing, some guests had been up since 4am! People had started throwing towels in the pool out of frustration and to be honest I can't blame them. Some people take up to 6 beds and don't even use them, families who have young children were struggling to find beds and shade, which is another issue, not enough parasols.
* The area around the apartments by us was not kept that clean, cigarette ends, general rubbish (litter) was gathering, its such ashame as the grounds and garden areas are lovely.
* Cockroaches - we only had a few baby ones in our apartment but the big boys are about mainly at night, when we walked back to the apartment we always noticed a few around the garden areas, I would imagine the guests on the ground floor apartment get them the most.
* The toilet area by the pool was not kept the cleanest, yes I know its hard with the amount of guests however the toilets do ask that toilet paper is not put down the toilet and placed in the waste bin instead, with the heat need I go on....
The floors were also very slippy, so be aware especially when in flip flops!
*If your looking for peace and quiet this probably isn't the hotel for you
Now lets have the positives:
* Great location - 5 mins walk to the right of the hotel and you are on the main strip, lots of great bars, restaurants, shops and the harbour area is lovely.
* Loads to do - Lots of great excursions (if you have the money) shop around though and don't book straight through your rep. We went on the buggy tour of the island (3hrs) which was amazing and went to the Oasis Park Zoo which was also amazing, a free bus ride to the zoo from the hotel at 9am each morning. Take extra money though as the extras are all payable (camel rides etc) not a cheap day out but worth it especially if you have kids. Very hot though.
* The weather - apparently it never rains, we saw temps up to 41 degrees the one day, with the lovely breeze/wind it is deceptive though and can catch you out, lots of cream and cover needed at certain times of the day
* The pools are fantastic, slides for the kids and graduation depth into the pool is a bonus especially if you are like me and prefer to gradually ease yourself into cold water! The pools are salt water though and after a while your eyes do get sore.
* the hotel grounds felt safe - this was important as there were lots of kids around, we happily allowed our 8 year old to 'wander' around playing on the small play area.
* Staff friendly/helpfull and hard working. We didn't really have many 'asks' but when we did they were always dealt with quickly. The Thomas Cook Team/Kids club etc work very hard in all the heat to entertain the kids and adults all through the day, Pool games, Kids Club entertainment at night - well done guys!! :)
Staff at the hotel equally hard working - pool bar staff and restaurant staff.
* Waterpark is across the road and gives you a break from the pool side at the hotel
* Local supermarkets sell cheaper drinks, water etc worth stocking up from the SuperDino.
* Great market on Friday and Tuesday across the road selling all the fake goods, bags, belts, caps etc - be prepared though to haggle for the final selling price (good fun though)
* The clock tower which is worth a walk up, the view is amazing at the top - nice little Italian restaurant at the bottom as well - good food :)
So to conclude - Our holiday was great, we would go back to Corralejo and see more of the island and travel over to Lanzarote. The hotel was comfortable and met our family needs for the 7 days we were there.
My advice - go make your own opinions and memories and don't read too much into reviews especially the negatives (like I did)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Oasis Duna apartments - Hotel is located in Corralejo (Fuerteventura). With an extension of 60.000m2, is a large tropical garden with a massive pool area and an expansive sun terrace. The large common areas with bars, restaurants, recreation areas, theater and beautiful gardens are ideal for relaxing and enjoying the holidays. The complex has 340 apartments, all equipped with kitchennette and bathroom, as well as furnished balcony or terrace. Its location is ideal, located just 50m from the main street and 900m from Corralejo beach. The Natural Park of the Dunes of Corralejo is located at 2km and the airport at 38km. It also has other touristic attractions around it, such as ACUA water park at 200m, El Campanario Shopping Center and Las Plameras Shopping Center, wich are 400m away. The one and two bedroom apartments, and especially the children's pools and slides, make this complex an ideal place to spend the holidays with your family. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Onthebeach, Idiso Digital, Booking.com, Hotelopia, TripOnline SA, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Oasis Duna Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fuerteventura Oasis Dunas
- Oasis Duna Corralejo
- Hotel Oasis Duna
- Dunas Fuerteventura Oasis
- Oasis Dunas Fuerteventura
- Oasis Duna Hotel Fuerteventura/Corralejo