“Great holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Oasis Duna Hotel
Ranked #31 of 46 Hotels in Corralejo
“Great holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just home from a week here & loved it. After reading a lot of bad reviews I was a bit apprehensive but the bad reviews are very harsh in my opinion. The rooms are basic but that's what you get in most places.We stayed in a first floor apt. We're 2 adults & 2 kids 6 & 2. We went with our extended family. All of our apts were clean & we had everything we needed. They are definitely in need of some maintenance as there was rust on the fridge & bath & could use a coat of paint. Our apt was cleaned 5 times during the week, towels changed 3 times. As other reviews have said there's no air con which is common in most hotels due to power restrictions I believe. There is a fan in the room. If you have first floor apt you can easily leave windows open. You will see cockroaches around but that comes with the heat, the place is not infested or anything. The pools are fantastic, perfect for kids, the pool bar is great too. There is an issue with reserving sunbeds but we managed to gets beds everyday.Beds are reserved from very early morning but it seems staff remove towels randomly. It's annoying going to the pool at 9.30am when there's only a few people at the pool but no beds free. Some guests did complain & reception staff removed towels for them. Reception staff aren't very friendly but rest of staff are lovely. We ate at the pizzeria & pool bar. Food was grand. Location is perfect within walking distance of lots of restaurants & plenty of bars towards the end of the strip. Loved Corralejo, We had a fantastic holiday & would
definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Walshlisa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel is kept nice and clean, the pools are big with slides for the children. We went half board and each day we were happy with the food and always found things that we liked. The food choice changed every day and always seemed fresh and tasty. The location of this hotel is wonderful as it is opposite the waterpark and a very short stroll to the main strip with many bars, shops and restaurants. The rooms do need air conditioning but other than that it was great. The staff are friendly and helpful. My family and I stayed for two weeks in july 2014 and we had a lovely time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank DaisyCoco2014
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Have just returned from a lovely week here with my mum and daughter. We were half board and had free access to the water park. The apartment was clean and did not find much to complain about on first impression. We were overlooking the water park, block B 617. As stated there was no air con but just left the door open at night so yes did get bitten by Mosquitos but it is a hot country so expect some bites. My bed was a little uncomfortable but maybe that was just me, I would not say it ruined my holiday. As for having no TV or Wifi, we were on holiday it was nice to get away from technology for a bit and not the most important thing in the world really, is it???????
The room was cleaned, and there was a note saying the bedding would only be changed once a week, which is reasonable as at home you would not change your bedding more than this, would you???? We had clean towels provided regularly. The floor was mostly clean apart from round by the door but this was only bits blown in from outside so it was no hardship to use the dustpan and brush from time to time.

The pool complex itself was nice, pool looked nice but only used it once. People's comments about the reserving of sunbeds is accurate and does need to be more strictly policed somehow as on holiday you should not have to get up early in order to get a bed by the pool. We always went to the water park where there were a wealth of beds and shades and it was never crowded. Have been on a previous holiday where I was getting up at 0510 in order to get beds so did not want to do it again.

It can be noisy at night time bit it is mostly finished by 1030-11 at night, but it's only entertainment, it's free, why complain?

We were half board and personally I'm not sure what the other people on this sight were complaining about? The food was delicious, plenty of choice,hot, what more can you ask for. We ate in the restaurant every night. There was only one night there was not much that I fancied but that was my preference not the fact that there was not much there. It was mostly Spanish food, yes there were some flies around but you get them anywhere and again it's hot, not sure what the people who have put down negative comments about the food were expecting?

The staff at the hotel were friendly, courteous and we personally had no problem with them.

Overall we all enjoyed our holiday and would definitely return to the same hotel. I read the reviews before going and was a little worried about it but I could not find that much to complain about. I though it was good value for money.

9 Thank Mandy B
Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed 30 july - 13 august in room b533,

Positives:
Great pools and plenty of daytime activities to keep kids and adults amused.The kids club was great for my daughter and she enjoyed making friends even though sometimes there was only a couple of kids.Evening entertainment is as expected and bingo was a right plus managed to win 2 days on trot over 200 euros.Bar snacks were ok and different special every day and pizza was very nice from restaurant and reasonably priced.
Negatives
Cant believe noone has mentioned how thin the walls are in the apartments,you could literally hear anything from your neighbours, we were lucky for the first 10 days then got invaded by the irish who took over the place.Majority of the them pleasant and respectful except the ones in b531 who thought as parents to take your kids(both under 5) out every night till 0230 and still making extreme noise till 0430 is beyond me.Apartments were cleaned and sheets and towels changed regular,rooms were extremely hot and will not stay anywhere now that doesn't have aircon, fans just stifle noise from rooms and circulate the air inside.Ants were an issue and the shower takes ages to drain away,if this was a reconditioned room i dread to think what the rest are like.There needs to be 2 lifeguards on, as place to big for 1 thats my opinion and there is no way that he could deal with different issues in different pools. Sunbeds a big issue any later than 730 and you would struggle to get one. Finally a lot of locals use the hotel as a gathering place and were constantly using the pool and sunbeds,they were finally told by lifeguard not to return he seemed to be mates with them so who knows on that.
Would not go back too noisy and didn't like corralejo.

Room Tip: Has to be top floor then no noise from above
Wordsley, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and the family have just returned from a very enjoyable fortnight at the oasis duna. The brochure pictures do not do the place justice, as the pool has now been improved with some great little slides my daughters loved. And so were spent most days by the pool. Sun Loungers get reserved despite the signs saying not to, but most people seem to get a good spot. Food is satisfactory and reasonable at the pool bar and pizzeria and there is a nice pub on site. Entertainment leaves a bit to be desired so most nights we went out and took a nice walk down to the main strip where there are lots of nice places to eat and drink. The Waikiki beach is a 15 Min walk but is a bit of a let down due to litter and stoney shallows. But nice to explore anyway. Some reviews complain of cockroaches, but I only saw very few and was not bothered by them really. Apartments were kept nice and clean on a frequent basis. Staff are nice and were had a wonderful time. Don't worry about the bad reviews just go, this is a good 3 star apparthotel!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Simon H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Ok reading some recent reviews I honestly can say this place is not as bad as reviewed? Were we in same apartments? ok there are cockroaches..I counted 4 in our apt, have counted many more in other places, it's a very hot place it's going to have creepy crawlies regardless! The apartments could do with kick of paint and repairs, we were in complex b, two bed apt it was clean and towels changed twist in the week and rooms cleaned three times, to me this is adequate for a weeks stay. The apts could do with extra fans or air con as it gets quite hit we were on a ground floor apt which didnt get a breeze at all, that was the lnly real gripe, that and the hogging of sunbeds, first day was nearly a disaster concerning our towels and beds but a lovely scottish family came to the rescue, blonde receptionist was not very helpful and was the only staff member i found quite rude, the rest were lovely! All in all the holiday was cheap and cheerful, it's exactly what we got! We had three boys with us 2,5 and 8 they had an absolute ball, the pool is fantastic, night entertainment is great, the entertainers really prob don't get paid enough! The pool side bar food and pizzeria food is lovely but some of our family went to the buffet one night and didn't enjoy the food at all so I'd say if going all in or half board maybe don't, plenty of great restaurants around great prices great food! Can't even pick fave meal out they were all fab! Would t hesitate to go back but prob would pay the extra for refurbished room. The facilities are great and short distance from everything!

Sleep Quality
4 Thank Edelw80
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We (family of 3) have just returned from spending the last 7 days at the Oasis Duna.
After reading Trip Advisor and obsessing over the negative reviews I am please to report that my review and opinion of the Oasis is nothing like I had worried it would be.
The hotel upheld and read my request email that I had sent 3 weeks prior to our arrival, which for me was a positive straight away. I had requested a first floor apartment in Block B.

So lets get the negatives out of the way shall we:
* The sofa bed in the living area was in poor condition to the point that we didn't pull it out, my hubby ended up sleeping on it which wasn't ideal.
* The rooms do get very very hot especially at night, the temp in the living room one night was 27 degrees, that was about 2am.
* They provide you with a fan (ask if you don't get one in your room) although they don't do anything really. We took our own little fan which was a god send!
* The food isn't that great - Breakfast was ok and we managed to fill up on pancakes mainly and toast. Evening meal is very much of the same thing each night, there is only so much chips, pasta and rice you can eat. The meals that you make are very miss matched and my son (8yrs) struggled to eat anything most nights. We ended up eating out 4 nights out of the 7 which meant our budget was blown!
* My biggest moan is about the pool beds. People who say there are ample beds, where were they?? I had to get up most morning at 6.30am to go and put our towels out which I hate doing, some guests had been up since 4am! People had started throwing towels in the pool out of frustration and to be honest I can't blame them. Some people take up to 6 beds and don't even use them, families who have young children were struggling to find beds and shade, which is another issue, not enough parasols.
* The area around the apartments by us was not kept that clean, cigarette ends, general rubbish (litter) was gathering, its such ashame as the grounds and garden areas are lovely.
* Cockroaches - we only had a few baby ones in our apartment but the big boys are about mainly at night, when we walked back to the apartment we always noticed a few around the garden areas, I would imagine the guests on the ground floor apartment get them the most.
* The toilet area by the pool was not kept the cleanest, yes I know its hard with the amount of guests however the toilets do ask that toilet paper is not put down the toilet and placed in the waste bin instead, with the heat need I go on....
The floors were also very slippy, so be aware especially when in flip flops!
*If your looking for peace and quiet this probably isn't the hotel for you

Now lets have the positives:
* Great location - 5 mins walk to the right of the hotel and you are on the main strip, lots of great bars, restaurants, shops and the harbour area is lovely.
* Loads to do - Lots of great excursions (if you have the money) shop around though and don't book straight through your rep. We went on the buggy tour of the island (3hrs) which was amazing and went to the Oasis Park Zoo which was also amazing, a free bus ride to the zoo from the hotel at 9am each morning. Take extra money though as the extras are all payable (camel rides etc) not a cheap day out but worth it especially if you have kids. Very hot though.
* The weather - apparently it never rains, we saw temps up to 41 degrees the one day, with the lovely breeze/wind it is deceptive though and can catch you out, lots of cream and cover needed at certain times of the day
* The pools are fantastic, slides for the kids and graduation depth into the pool is a bonus especially if you are like me and prefer to gradually ease yourself into cold water! The pools are salt water though and after a while your eyes do get sore.
* the hotel grounds felt safe - this was important as there were lots of kids around, we happily allowed our 8 year old to 'wander' around playing on the small play area.
* Staff friendly/helpfull and hard working. We didn't really have many 'asks' but when we did they were always dealt with quickly. The Thomas Cook Team/Kids club etc work very hard in all the heat to entertain the kids and adults all through the day, Pool games, Kids Club entertainment at night - well done guys!! :)
Staff at the hotel equally hard working - pool bar staff and restaurant staff.
* Waterpark is across the road and gives you a break from the pool side at the hotel
* Local supermarkets sell cheaper drinks, water etc worth stocking up from the SuperDino.
* Great market on Friday and Tuesday across the road selling all the fake goods, bags, belts, caps etc - be prepared though to haggle for the final selling price (good fun though)
* The clock tower which is worth a walk up, the view is amazing at the top - nice little Italian restaurant at the bottom as well - good food :)

So to conclude - Our holiday was great, we would go back to Corralejo and see more of the island and travel over to Lanzarote. The hotel was comfortable and met our family needs for the 7 days we were there.

My advice - go make your own opinions and memories and don't read too much into reviews especially the negatives (like I did)

2 Thank Cosmicgirl1975