“FANTASTIC”

smartline Playa Park
Ranked #14 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Stayed with my wife end Feb - 6th March 2013 on a self catering basis. We like to eat out on holiday trying out different restaraunts - helps with the local economy
Reception were very helpful on arrival and throughout our stay.
Our room was on the first floor one bedroom apartment which was very clean large living area and reasonable bedroom, the bathroom was a good size too, only flaw was the size of the kitchen quite small but since we were eating out not a problem. There were two balconies and a drying area, overall we were well impressed with the apartment.

The pool area was spacious, VERY clean with plenty sunbeds to go around, the pool was cold ie: not heated but since we come from Scotland nae problem.
The location of the hotel is about twenty mins walk from the harbour area and just a couple of minutes from a small shopping centre (very nice) so at night it was quiet due to our location so a good nights sleep was had every night
During the day the entertainment seemed adequate with the reps doing yoga, water aerobics, darts. table tennis, amongst others it was there if you wanted it.
At night we didn't use the complex so can't comment on the entertainment.
The tour rep (Kirsty) was ALWAYS around on the days and times she had stated at the welcome meeting, She was very helpful and courteous.
Overall a great holiday and looking forward to returning next year.

Room Tip: Go for a ground floor apartment as you can walk straight out to pool area saves a walk round. Don...
4  Thank offskie

Reviewed 13 March 2013

This hotel was a self catering site in its former life. Food not very warm as most reviews say. Food not really good breakfast best meal of day although don't expect fried bread. Sweets tend to be breakfast leave overs drizzled in chocolate or honey or a shake of icing sugar. Two nights I found nothing but cool chips to eat. The hotel is clean, but our room was only cleaned 3 times linen and towels changed once. The reception staff are friendly and answer most things straight away although they never knew when Kirsty the rep would be in. Most of the staff are nice a couple are a bit snappy. Entertainment two nights are good the rest is a bit mmm! Rubbish. Bingo you play by putting pasta over the numbers if you like candid camera they show a program similar most nights. Bar closes 11 o'clock sharp unless you are Spanish. 11.30 pm lights are turned out really because the music is so loud after the shows so most people go to bed go out to the poolside bar or go out. Not really the holiday hotel I was expecting. Pool is a climate pool freezing. We where told it was a heated pool. Not a place I would revisit. Taxi to harbour approximately 3 euros.

1  Thank mcKendall
Hermelindo, Director General at smartline Playa Park, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your opinion.

I have to explain you that this is your opinion and is not the same of more then the 80 € of our guests.

We can understand that yurs expetations are not reflected in the price you pay for.

We hope to see you again here at the Playa Park Club.

Regards,

Reviewed 11 March 2013

When we arrived we were given keys to a studio apartment, it was nice but I've never fancied sleeping with a cooker in the bedroom. We had paid for a one bedroom apartment so I went back to reception and had a word with the lovely lady in reception.We were given keys to room 427 which is facing the pool area but the view is almost blocked by trees.This was not a problem as we had another balcony at the back which was not overlooked so we had the sun most of the day. The apartment was lovely, very spacious and modern. The food could have been warmer and my tip is to go in for lunch as soon as they open as the food always seemed hotter and fresher. The red wine was drinkable, but I asked for bacardi/coke took one sip and left it. I have had local white rum loads of times before and it has been fine but this was revolting. We walked into the resort centre everday, if you get to the shopping centre near the hotel and cross the road you will see a small road that leads down the sea you can walk on the path then onto the beach passing one or two beach bars on the way.

Room Tip: We liked room 427, 2 balconies plus a small one leading off the kitchen with a washing line. Looks l...
3  Thank fileybrig1
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Stayed with my wife 5th-19th January 2013 AI.
Overall we were both impressed with the overall standard of the resort and had an excellent
holiday.
Having read reviews before we went and since coming back we definitely made a good choice.
There are one or two less than perfect aspects, yes the food in the restaurant could be
cool, but there was a microwave available.
Not ideal but there nonetheless, tip - get there early.
As mentioned, one young girl serving in the bar (evenings) seemed a bit surly and unhelpful at times,
a few euros in the tip jar seemed to cheer her up.
We found the choice of food very good and varied and not once during our stay did we feel
the need to eat out. Breakfast was superb but finished at 10am a bit too early for me, A couple of times we had a lie in, so rather than breakfast had bar snacks which were very good, chips and cheese toasties.
Yes- there was pizza & chips every lunch time/evening but there was other options too.
I felt sorry for the chap who told me he didn't like the food as he didn't care for
paella/calamari/chilli con carne/mutton stew/veal and so on. The cheeseboard and
fresh bread was a welcome addition and popular with the other guests.
For me the tea and coffee in the restaurant & bar were not to my taste at all, experience
has taught me to take my own. The beer & spirits that I drank were good and the mixers
up to scratch, the red wine on tap was good too so no complaints.

Shaggy the entertainer was very good and for me really brightened up the evenings.
I thought bingo and quizzes were not for me - wrong. I joined in and had a good time,
I even won a "boogie safari" as Shaggy called it. I recommend this trip as you can
take a short or long version of the excursion and see parts of the island you wouldn't
normally see - be warned though, its very dusty and you get filthy.

I'm not a pool person so cannot comment on the temperature of the water. There always
seemed to be enough sunbeds but it was January. The apartment was roomy and perfect for
two of us and most likely roomy for a family of four, I didn't bother with the tv - I'm on holiday!
The kitchenette had a kettle/toaster and microwave and we had a hairdryer (room 225) and a small laundry area.
Now for the negative bit - we were woken up on our 2nd night around 2am by people shouting,
laughing, arguing, singing to music they were playing. We couldn't tell if they were
fighting or what. Also we couldn't tell if it was upstairs or next door making the noise nor how many of them were involved.
Eventually I realised it was next door room 222. I tried phoning them and could hear their
room phone ringing, they just carried on. I called reception who assured me they would
send security around to sort it out. Nothing happened, eventually the singing turned to
snoring but the music played on for another hour.
Next day I spoke to reception who assured me that security would have a word.
Also the people in room 222 only had one more night of their holiday left. Later that day
I saw our neighbours, he was very large and muscular and didn't look the reasonable type.
Once again we were woken in the early hours same routine, once again I phoned the room, no
one answered so I phoned reception. This time reception replied to me "no comprende" and
put the phone down! A good thing I didn't need a doctor then? Sorry I'm not brave enough to confront drunks in the early hours that's what hotel security are paid for.
I was not impressed and next day spoke to the receptionist who looked shocked and said they
would have a word. Fortunately it was our neighbour's last day and the rest of our holiday
was good.
As other reviewers have described the area I wont repeat the details, there is a
supermarket close by and the main strip is 15-20 minutes away, didn't use a taxi as,
for us it wasn't that far. the nearest beach is 10-15 mins away as are the sand dunes.
Opposite the complex is a public park which is very pleasant and well worth a visit.
There is a hill which has a very easy climb with benches on the pathway and then picnic
benches at the top giving a good view of the surroundings, I think it is Corralejo's botanical garden. Also there is a childrens playground and skateboarding park.
Would I go there again? Absolutely!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jj_cz
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We have just got back from a two week all inclusive stay 23rd Feb - 9th March.

Cleanleness - Cannot fault the hotel for this one bit, your rooms get cleaned 5 times a week and towels and bedding changed regular, they are constantly cleaning around the pool and in the reception area. Has got to be one of the cleanest places we have stayed in.
Only problems we had about this was when we were in the resturant, the waiter (heard his name was rado) seemed to clear all the tables around us yet by the end of our meal our table was piled up with all the plates we had used, and everyone elses were cleaned asap. apart from him all the other staff cleared our tables! dont know what his problem was?

Food - The food is what you would expect for a 3 star hotel, it isnt the best but also isnt the worst. we enjoyed breakfast the most there was a wide selection of food including bacon, egg, sausage, beans etc. also a wide selection of salads and fruit.
lunch was ok, it had light snacks such as burgers and hotdogs, also if you got hungry when the resturant wasnt open you can get fresh food from the pool bar
dinner varied, some nights were excellent where as other nights we struggled to find something to eat, and the food was normally only just warm, so you had to use the microwave, they have theme nights which are normally international, spanish, itailian or mexican.

There is the pool bar through the day and then turns into a night bar in the evening, the staff where very polite and always had a smile on their faces when they serve you, the guy (samba) was very nice and always made an effort to talk to you. there is a wide selection of drinks and cocktails.

apartment - our apartment was clean and tidy when we arrived, we didnt know how to put the electric on and when we went and told reception they came within a couple of minutes to help us out. we didnt spend too much time in the apartment but we were happy with it. you also have a kitchen if you want to cook yourself.

entertainment -
daytime - would not recommend families with young children or teenagers to go here as the entertainment is to the minimum, there was a rota on the wall saying all the activities that would be going on but you would be lucky if there was even 2 a day, we had two different reps whilst we were there, one called shaggy (dread locks) and paolo (italian with curly hair) we notices that paolo seemed to make more of an effort with people, he would come over and chat to us through the day and night, where as shaggy only spoke to certain people and they werent normally english.
evening - the entertainment at night would vary, some nights were really good, but other nights nothing would start until gone 9, which when you've had your evening meal means sitting around waiting. when paolo was there he was always on time and would make sure bingo started at 8:30 like it advertises it will, but when shaggy was there some nights it didnt even happen and it was always late, also paolo made it fun where as shaggy just put it on the screen, and its in spanish so if you cant see the screen you dont know the number. he said this was so he didnt have to do as much.

swimming pool - the pool is quite large and has an adult pool and a childrens pool, only problem is the adult pool isnt heated and is freezing!! also if you have young kids dont leave them unsupervised in the water as the lifeguards seem to have different rules to britain, and dont even watch the pool!

local area - the hotel is in a perfect location, it is a two minute walk to the nearest shopping center and a 10/20 minute walk to the strip (depending on how fast you walk) there is lots to do down the strip, with plenty or resturants, bars and shops. we would recommend the slow boat resturant near the shops, this was all you can eat chinese/japanese/tai food and also really polite and nice people. the bars we would recommend are the corner rock and retro bar, these both have a friendly environment and live music. there is also a nice beach and marina at the end of the strip.
excursions - whilst there the excursions we did were the jeep safari, lanzarote day trip and the oasis zoo. they were all really enjoyable and well worth the money.

there was also lovely friendly staff in the reception, and free wifi if you want to contact home :)
our only problem was our thomas cook rep (kirsty) was never around, the only times we saw her was at our welcome meeting and our last day, she didnt have any times for when she would be around and recpeption didnt know, very dissapointed with her as there were times we needed to ask questions yet had to go on google!

overall we had a lovely two week stay at playa park and got a lovely tan to come home with :)
would recommened to couples, and older families.

Room Tip: we had a top floor room, didnt have any problems and no noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank y0ung_c0uple21
Reviewed 7 March 2013

We've just got back from a weeks s/c, the apartments are good and value for money. Clean, friendly and relaxed, just want we wanted. They are on the outer edge and as other reviews say a bit of walk which we did twice most days. Taxis are available at the commercial shopping centre across the road for €3-4 so cheap enough. We didn't use other facilities or the entertainment, but the apartments are busy and popular. The only complaint we had was on arrival our room smelt of stale smoke, not pleasant, but house keeping quickly came with air freshner. It would have been nice to have a different room but the resort was full. Not a problem though, it took a couple of days for the room to air through. Tv stopped working after a couple of days,English channels bbc news and sky one, only a problem when the weather was bad for 2 days.
Worth a visit and if you don't mind a walk.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Just back from two weeks, self catering, at Playa Park. On arrival we found the reception staff efficient, nice and friendly. We were accommodated in one of the ground floor apartments just behind the children's play area. The apartment was spotless, one of the best we have ever been in. More than ample space in the living area with huge sofa bed, large easy chair, lovely glass table, four dining chairs, and two cabinets with plenty of cupboard space. Kitchen off the living area was equipped with the essentials, including microwave. We cooked two meals and all our breakfasts during the two week stay. There was a small washing line/drying area outside the kitchen area. Bathroom was adequate with towels being changed on a 2-3 day basis. Bedroom was pleasant with ample wardrobe space and a Safe (10 euros per week). The apartment was cleaned and rubbish removed, more or less on a daily basis, with bedding being changed every 3 days. The staff we had dealings with, were all friendly and helpful. The grounds at Playa Park are beautiful and are kept immaculate. There is plenty of shade provided by trees and parasols and if you are lucky you will see the beautiful green parrots flying around. They eat nuts from your hand, if you are patient. We understand Playa Park was full during our stay, but it did not feel overly busy. We spent most days relaxing around the lovely pool areas - small children's pool; a larger pool with water shoot; a much bigger, deeper pool for the swimmers. There is also a Jacuzzi. Plenty of activities - water aerobics; yoga; football; darts; pool; giant chess board etc. all available. Though we were self catering, on three nights we decided to eat in the Hotel Buffet. The charge is 10 euros per person. Seems to be routine of International Food alternated by Italian, Asian; Spanish; Mexican. We were very impressed both by the cleanliness of the very modern dining area; the freshness and choice of foods on offer, together with either beer; white or red wine, tea and coffee. On our last day we had breakfast in the Hotel. Again the food on offer was excellent with plenty of choices. Quite a number of times we ate lunch in the pool bar, there is not a vast selection but enough to suit most people having a midday snack. What was provided was more than ample. We found staff in the pool bar and restaurant all very nice, friendly and helpful. Playa Park is minutes away from the Campanario Shopping Centre where there is a large Dino supermarket. Walking into town takes about 15-20 mins. All of the above certainly ensured we had a brilliant holiday in Corralejo.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple