“More good than bad”

Hotel Hesperia Bristol Playa
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Had a very pleasant stay at Bristol Playa. It's clear some people are being too picky about this place. I paid £200 for a week and you get what you pay for. Very basic but large rooms and balconies, can't complain about much. Nice food (only ate in hotel twice), great staff really friendly. The pool is nice too apart from the saltwater. Only things that let it down were the very uncomfortable beds and the fact wifi is only available in the reception/lobby and not in rooms or around the pool (very inconvenient when I was trying to get some uni work done).

We had a day trip via the holiday reps called 'volcano express'. Highly recommend this trip. You take a glass bottom boat across to lanzarote then a coach tour to all sorts around the volcanoes including an aloe Vera factory which was awesome too. The tour guide is fantastic, bilingual (Spanish, English, French, German) and fluent in all which was impressive and lovely and funny lady too.

I recommend the older bit of town rather than the newer street, nicer food and drinks as well as live music.

Overall had a great stay here and would come again (but not in January!)

Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank KellyTobias
There are newer reviews for Hotel Hesperia Bristol Playa

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed for 11 nights in july last year and loved it! The place has a lovely atmosphere, and the staff are extremely friendly. The pool area is lbeautiful, there's enough beds for everyone, but i do suggest getting to the pool early for pool side beds as they fill up quite quickly. Daily entertainment takes place in the pool which is quite amusing to watch! Theres free wifi, a shop (which is reasonably priced) the croissants were the best i've ever had, no joke! Theres a super market just 5 minutes away so if they didnt have it in the shop it wasn't a ballache to go and get it. There's also a pool bar, but it doesn't open till midday and closes early too, and is only run by one person so if a few people order at the same time the waiting time for food is quite long.

The rooms are pretty basic, but that was expected. They are supposed to be cleaned every other day, but we had fresh towels and a mopped floor everyday so was really happy with that.

The only issues i had was; it was quite close to the sea so it was constantly windy in the day, more windy than it was in the centre, its a good 15 minutes from the amenities and they were doing work on the place just outside our room for the duration of our stay. Even though i was never woken up by it my friends were woken up every morning at 9 as they were hammering on the fence just opposite our room for some strange reason!

All in all we all felt so welcome there, and i thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Corralejo is such a lovely place, we were a group of 20 year old girls, and still got up to as much trouble as we did when we went on an 18-30's holiday!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Naomi M
Reviewed 9 January 2014

went for a week, given great room by pool - clean and tidy, great value for money paid. staff very friendly and a great base to explore the island - great bars and restaurants in correlajo 10 minute walk away

Room Tip: D132 by pool
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Well if you book to stay here you will regret it first of all its in a part of corralejo that is as far away from any shop or restaurants as you can get you will need a taxi and once away from this hotel you will not want to return,
I was booked in for a week I lasted one day I looked for another hotel I was happy to take the loss
, my next review is the hotel I stayed in after leaving the Bristol,
When I booked in at the Bristol the young lad on reception was very polite maybe the best part of this place I was given my room it was on the ground floor the reception is very dark I found my room some of the lights would not work, I had a look in the microwave maybe that's why the lights don't work it was unclean, also the floors had some kind of insect they were small don't think they were ant's but they were all over the room, the room is dark and drab and not very clean a good clean with disinfectant would do a world of good, I ask to see another room and was given keys for a room on the first floor it was the same except the lights worked then I go upstairs to the restaurant not a nice place to sit and have a meal and as far as the food goes if there been a shop in the area I would bought a sanwich and a bag of crisps,
I've seen review's saying you get what you pay for well I think that's crap whatever you pay for where you stay that place should be clean, maybe not in the best area OK but clean and with half board the food should be eatable, so I'm sorry but I had to get out.

Room Tip: Go and stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank thunderguts
Reviewed 7 January 2014

For a few years we have taken to going to the Canaries over New Year. The destination is usually detremined by which day we want to fly and what is on offer. This year we had planned on Lanzarote (P-D-C) but while accomodation was cheap, flights were significantly up on last year (which were significantly up on the previous year). We were therefore resigned to the fact that where this quick get-away used to be around £600 - £800 we were going to have to pay around £1000-£1100 and the best deal we could get was to change from a DIY holiday and book with Tommy Cook to Corralejo in the Bristol Playa.
I point this out by way of exemplifying that while the Hisperia Bristola Playa is definitely not £1000 per week hotel (at the bottom end of the TC deals), it is market forces that seem to have driven the flight prices up to that level. If you want to test my theory, try booking the hotel directly without flights. Cheap as chips and you get what you pay for. So off we went to Corralejo for a week starting 28/12/2013 not expecting much from the accomodation.

The hotel location is excellent. We like "old town" locations and this suited us. A 10 min walk (less sometimes) had you in the heart of all the local bars and restaurants. A longer (20 min) scenic trek round the coast and past the harbour was enjoyable and got you to the same place. Get a town map of Corralejo.

I was not overly enamoured by our room but settled into it. There is much talk here about getting a sea view. They are limited, only around a third of the rooms can boast a proper sea view. if you REALLY want one, BOOK it. Don't rely on making a request via your agent. It will only be treated as a request and the liklihood is that they will be booked up. Had this been our main trip of the year, I would have consider pushing the boat out and upgrading to one of the upper suites as they looked very nice, but it wasn't that sort of trip.

We were allocated a ground floor room in Block C (Room 117), to the far end away from the pool. It does not overlook the pool. There was a small sun terrace (a sun trap!) which was barley used and very relaxing. The pool is less than 50 yards away so easy to get at. The road outside the bedroom was busy from 0700 onwards, but we are early risers so not too much of an issue, but can understand how it could be for some.

Much has also been said about there may be being a shortage of equipment in the kitchen/rooms. However, a trip to reception will sort all the woes out, as we found. New pillows and a toaster were supplied on demand. On New Years Eve a bottle of cheap bubbly was left in the room, which was a nice touch I thought.

Pool and Pool bar area seemd fine, but strange working hours. Had no interest in using it at night or watching the 4 euro a day english TV chanels as we were there to get out and about. Corralejo has a lot to offer in terms of bars and restaurants.

The onsite supermarket had all that you could need, but there is a larger hiperdino only 5 mins up the street if you need more.

We did not eat in the complex at all. So no opinion can be offered.

Would I go again? Yes, for the location, but I would consider stepping up a level from the basic self-catering rate. All hotels have rooms that are less appealing than others and it's these that are generally allocated to the lower end ranges. I am becoming more and more aware that the UK agents seem able to sell the lower end accomodation than the agents of our european cousins.

So, you get what you pay for and I'd advise folks to read carefully what they are paying for and understand what a "package holiday" is really made up of.

Room Tip: If you waat asee view, or gurantee something above the basic, book and pay for it. Don't rely o...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DavidandPauline
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This is the oldest hotel in Corralejo-- even though it is rather big (I think 300 rooms) it is spread out in several buildings, all around the pool, and with no more than 3 stories, so it keeps a feeling of a small place. Great location, especially if you have a sea-side room-- I would perhaps be wary of rooms that are on the back street but it is not a noisy part of town. The hotel is situated on a promitory which juts out into the sea; the waves break just in front of you on the lava-rocky coast. Great to see and hear. It is a 10-15 walk from the center and in our case we chose it also for that. However, there is a big supermarket at only 5 min walk and a small one in the hotel itself.

The downsides are that the hotel needs a bit more maintenance like paint on the balconies, the curtains had some mildue, of our 3 rooms 2 had toasters and water kettle but the other did not (and even though we asked this be repaired on the first day, a week later things were the same, as was the case with the broken house phone), the front desk staff is pretty skimpy and over-worked but they keep up the good humor (nice Italian ladies) and other minor factors, many of them difficult to avoid being rigth on the seaside itself. The worst for me was that THEY DO NOT WARN YOU that they do not provide beach towels, surprise since this is a beach destiny--if we were warned we would have come prepared. They do explain, however, at check in that towels are only changed 3 days a week and the rooms are cleaned ony 5 days a week-- that is a good gesture on their part, it must keep complaining down and if you know that, you take it into account. We did not use the pool but it seemed like it was the best kept area of the hotel.

When we read different reviews of the hotel we hesitated to go but we analised that many people's complaints would not be ours-- such as being out of the center of town-- and that other complaits we could put up with-- like a somewhat rusty fridge, actually almost imposible to avoid when the sea is so close by. We did not eat there ever-- there are lots of goodplaces in town-- since the reviews consistenly advised of bad food. Actually taking into account the very favorable and inexpensive price we paid, I could give it a 4 star as to our (advised and educated) satisfaction but that might give a wrong idea to others. I would leave it at a 3 star plus.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Spiii-Rose
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Well, where do I start......I do not expect luxury at a 3 star hotel, but I do expect the facilities to be decent. The door of our apartment had a 2 inch gap at the top and had rotted away at the bottom,We couldn't lock the door from the inside and the lock had to be changed the following day. The sitting area had no light or lamp (as we discovered as it went dark) and we sat by the light over the 2 ring hob. A trip to reception got us a lamp. We also realised that we didn't have a kettle or toaster (we had to ask at reception for these) and they were brought to the apartment the following day. Another trip to reception to ask for a drinking glass to replace the one that had chips all around the outside. We also had to ask for two additional pillows as the ones that were on the bed were only about an inch thick. The microwave was rusty on the inside and although the fridge was working, it didn't have any shelves in the door or an ice making facility. The bathroom shower curtain rail was rusty and the curtain itself hanging on by only 5 hooks.The settee was very uncomfortable and would have benefited from some cushions at least. The beds were rock hard, and whilst I like a firm bed, this was solid. The curtains had both holes and stains on them. The TV was large, bulky and old fashioned and only had spanish channels. It cost an extra 21 euros for the week to get a few english speaking channels. The maid service was a bit hit and miss. On Sunday we had to go to reception (again) this time to ask for toilet rolls. We arrived on Wednesday and didn't get the towels changed until Saturday and then again on Monday. We had ants in the room, but a trip to reception got us an ant spray delivered to the apartment later that day. There was a phone in the room, but it didn't work, On two occasions, we left the apartment to find that the man hole cover just outside the front door had been partially lifted and a hose pipe protruding, Overall we were disappointed with this hotel. We spent over £1000 for a week self catering but felt that it was not value for money. The pool bar only opened in the afternoon, and there was no bar in the evening. The reception staff were good and the staff in the dining area seemed to work hard, but the quality of the food was disappointing. We paid 56 euros for a meal on Christmas Day in the hotel, and whilst some of the food was ok, the overall impression was of overcooked food that was not worth the money that we had paid. Overall a disappointing stay at the Bristol Playa. The resort itself has a lot to offer, and if I ever return, I will definitely stay in a different hotel.

Room Tip: Not 167 - view from patio of outbuildings mostly. However, no patio furniture but this wasn't a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple