“Better than expected!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
cambridgeshire
“Better than expected!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

We have just returned from a week at Barcelo and really can't fault it as a place to relax and enjoy the sun. We were upgraded to a Wellness room on the ground level which overlooked the terrace and it was lovely. A large room, with balcony which had sun all afternoon and bathrobes& slippers provided.
We have travelled quite extensively and this was a top up of sun in a misrable january so we wern't expecting too much. However we were pleasantly surprised especially having read some of the previous reviews. The food was very good with lots of choice every night and fish and meat cooked fresh as well as other dishes on a buffet station. The fish was gorgeous and we also had chicken, steak and pork, as well as a fantastic paella on several nights. I cannot understand these people who have criticised it and we enjoy our food! There was only 1 night when it wasn't such a good choice. We also took advantage of the jazz night in the Pool bar which was a 6course meal, included in the price. It was nice for a change though felt a bit rushed. The price of the wines was very reasonable too.

The pool area was great and there was no problem with sunbeds at any time of day, certainly no evidence of mad rush to reserve them as some people have reported.

We tended to avoid the main street area and always walked along the beach to the harbour which has several bars and restaurants wtht nice view of the harbour and sea, over to Lobos. We had a couple of lunches in this area which were good. The beach which is very close to the hotel is a good sandy one and doesnt get crowded. We walked to the dunes one day but were quite happy to stay at the local beach.

We have stayed in the Barcelo in Lanzarote and this hotel was much better than that in all areas, especially the peace and quiet. There was some entertainment which was ok though the pianist on fri, sat & sunday finished at 9pm which was rather early. However if you want music and more life at night the main street is only 5 mins away. Highly recommend this hotel for a winter break, we will be back!

Room Tip: The rooms on west side had sun in the afternoon
8 Thank holidayqueen3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (770)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

The hotel is only 100 metres from the main stretch where the bars and shops are and less than 100 metres from the nearest beach. There is a free bus service each morning to the dunes further down the coast (good sunbathing location). It was only a five minute walk to the lovely bars and restaurants in the old town for a bite to eat and drink. (should you be fussy like the other reviewers and not like the hotel food).
The hotel food I thought was good with different choices everyday and done to a good standard. The meat was cooked fresh in front of you by a chef with a fresh salad bar that was attended constantly. The waiter service was excellent, although they were not fluent english speakers.
I would also recomend a visit to the spa. Although extra cost is involved (15E for the Jacuzzi area), the massages available are superb and the staff will help you find the one to suit you. There was a slight cleaning issue with a small number of ants we found in the bathroom, but this was sorted immediatley when we spoke to reception (who were always polite and friendly). car rental and excursions were available from the shop in the foyer. Pool area was clean and quiet! (no kids!) Although very cold water.
I am saving up for next year!

Room Tip: Room looking out over the pool area get sun most of the day.
7 Thank John A
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Barcelo for 3 days in early January. Having read some reviews on trip advisor we were not sure what to expect, but was very pleased with our stay. The hotel is in a great location, close to a beach also on the edge of town where there are plenty of bars, restaurants & shops. The rooms are very comfortable with complimentary tea & coffee and a fridge to keep your own drinks cool. Breakfast was pretty good with buffet food being kept quite hot and having fried eggs or omelettes made to order. Lots of food choice on offer including Brussels sprouts which I thought abit odd! The half board deal was ok, but for not well catered for vegetarians. But when we booked it was only an extra 15 Euros to upgrade to half board for 3 days so it was stupid not to. Reception is always managed well & staff are very helpful if needed. The only complaint I have is the wifi in the hotel lobby should be free & unlimited & not just 30 minutes a day. Also games and/or complimentary newspapers to read would be a good suggestion in the lobby/bar area. Overall a great hotel, better choice than Riu or Atlantis if you want to be closer to the centre....and the weather was GREAT! :-)

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank DWCW6667
notts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

Last visited this hotel seven years ago when it named "Atlantis Palace" It was good then but has improved in most areas under ther control of Barcelo.
My personal view is that a review tells you almost as much about the reviewer as it does the property being reviewed and I always consider this when reading reviews. What is "heaven" to one may the "hell" of another and you need to know what YOU want from a hotel so my advice is to remember this.
The location and design of the hotel is very good. It is very close to a nice beach with a few bar/restaurants, close to town if you fancy something a bit more lively, but far enough away from that to be quiet. It is south facing so the pool area is in sun almost throughout the daylight hours and is lower than the surrounding streets so as to provide protection from any winds and it can get very windy in Fuerteventura. In short, the pool area is a sun trap and even last week the heat became unbearable for many who sought shade in the very nice pool bar or under the many lovely trees in the gardens. For those who like the sun.........heaven!!!
Many rooms overlook the pool area and you can choose to either have sun in the morning or afternoon depending on which side you are. You can also choose as we did to have a sea view room and they receive sun in the morning only. Some pool view rooms are directly overlooking the pool area but other nearer to the main body of the hotel overlook the roof of the lobby area but still do have some pool view. The ones furthest from the lobby are in my view the best. Rooms are quite spacious and have nicely furnished balconies. The reception/lobby area is attractive and clean but some areas are beginning to look a little dated and maybe Barcelo have that in mind when considering their strategy for this property. (but not too much change please)
I agree is part with many other reviews concerning food. Breakfast I could not fault. Extensive choice and good quality. Lunches in the pool bar were reasonable priced and good quality. Starters at evening meal were wide ranging, good quality and suited to all tastes. Dessert lovers were also similarly provided for. My only concern was with main courses. On some nights meats were good but on others not so. I experienced tough steaks and chicken but also succulent freshly carved pork on one occasion so it's not all bad. There was always a choice of fish. Tuna steaks, sole and others simply grilled or with sauces. On a couple of nights there were prawns on offer the likes of which you would pay a fortune for in M and S. During thre entire week I never has cold or tepid food which in itself is a rareity. All in all, I was satisfied with the food but improvements could still be made.
Again I refer to my early comment about the reviewer but the best thing about this hotel is the total absence of children. The silence around the pool was at times deafening. Heaven!!!!! (if you like it that way and I do) Please Mr Barcelo, dont change back to including children. It would ruin a concept enjoyed by many of us in the slightly older (kids all grown up and gone) generation.
To sum up, if you want a quiet hotel in a great location which is clean and well run, choose this place. If you want pool games, karaoke, childrens clubs, teens clubs, discos and noise, dont!! because if you do, you'll hate it!! I, along with every other persdon I spoke to loved it. Dont misunderstand me, this is not a retirement home as I've seen it referred to and there were many other couples in the their 30,s, 40's and 50's who enjoyed what this hotel has to offer. Peace and tranquility.
Almost forget to mention the VIP package. If you do like a drink, this could be for you. A gin and tonic costs E5.50 (i think) in the bar. On this package you can have eight quality brand drinks per day for E19.90. It's a no brainer!!!! Even if you only drink wine or beer, you stand to profit depending of course on your level of consumption.
One final point re sun bed grabbing. Didnt see any of it at all. We went out every morning returning around 1pm and always had a choice of about 30 to 40 vacant sun beds to choose from. Maybe it was a quiet week I dont know, but what I do know is that I shall be returning in September 2013 and again first week in January 2014
Thanks for a great holiday

12 Thank amc150
Solihull uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

This is the fourth time my husband and I have stayed at this hotel over the last 10 years, but this is the first time since Barcelo took over and turned it into an adults only hotel.
The Hotel is very clean, smart and comfortable, the beds especially are some of the comfiest I have ever slept in at a holiday hotel. when we came here before the sauna, steam room and hot tub were available to all, but now they are part of the Spa and have to be paid for, which is a shame as it was a great part of coming to this hotel, so much for progress.
This time we asked for a partial sea view, which in fairness was a nice view looking over the sea and the island of Lanzarote. The down side is you get the morning sun (nice) instead of the afternoon sun, but the worst part of this room is you are overlooking the service bay to the hotel, which means that when the dustmen call, everyday at 4am you will hear them along with all the delivery vans who start arriving around 6am. I am an early riser (around 6am ) anyway so it didn't really bother me too much but if you are looking forward to a nice lay in then beware.
Now to the food. Oh dear, most of the cooked food was almost inedible, you couldn't cut the sausages at breakfast on the first couple of days and the meat cooked in the evening was dry and over cooked. My husband complained to out Rep (TUI) who spoke to the management and I have to say that it did improve after that though by then we had eaten out a few nights. I would still return to this hotel as the location and staff where excellent but perhaps would't choose to go half board.

Room Tip: pool view or rooms looking west will give you the best afternoon sunshine. Would avoid Sea View room...
2 Thank Bab5y
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

Stayed over Christmas and New Year. The hotel itself is very well situated for the beach, town and harbour. Walking across the beach to the harbour on New Year's Day was a new experience for us never to be forgotten. Our room was clean and well appointed. We had trouble the first night with the twin beds that were pushed together supposedly to form a double as we both kept slipping donw the gap that kept appearing in the middle. Within minutes of mentioning this at reception next day a handyman appeared and sorted it all out. Fine from then on. We appreciated the bottle of cava and cake left in the room free of charge on my husband's birthday. the spa is worth checking out. We had a 'Wellness' room, which gives you three free entries to the water circuit including jacuzzi, sauna etc. All of the staff were helpful and courteous. Very peaceful with no children around, which made a nice change for us.

The only downside to this hotel as per other reviews is the food, which is not of top quality and not what you would expect at a good hotel. Food was often lukewarm and not terribly imaginative. The New Year Gala Dinner that promised much turned out to be a bit of a shambles as it was difficult to identify what the promised 6 courses were and where they were. And really, does anyone eat brussel sprouts for breakfast? They were on offer almost every day, more often than mushrooms, which I only saw once. We were on half board but ate out most evenings as we hadn't paid much more than B&B and there are so many good restaurants in Corralejo.

I would go again but would opt for B&B. Would give it five stars but for the food.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank auntieh22
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013 via mobile

the Barcelona a lovely hotel my critic is that the out door pools where to cold to swim in and the was no option to use the indoor pool as it is part of the fitness suit the resteraunt is well organised and the food was of a high standard are room overlooked the pool and are topped mattess was poor slipped of the main mattess are Thomas cook rep Lisa? was very good thanks barcelo overall one one of the best hotels we have stopped at Rob&Sue Bruce

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Tuppennce
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corralejo
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,202 reviews
H10 Ocean Dreams
H10 Ocean Dreams
#4 of 46 in Corralejo

Been to Barcelo Corralejo Bay? Share your experiences!