“Mock period but in a convenient location. Nicely decorated.”

Hotel Temple Ponferrada
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Ponferrada
Reviewed 18 October 2013

It is not a budget hotel, however for a Hotel of its class I think I did well with the cost of my room. I had checked out a couple of city centre hotels, who for the price they wanted were not offering anything with character. Whilst this was a bit dearer than those, the hotel standard was much better. I would call its decor and design sort of Mock Tudor but nicely done. As for all the furniture in the public areas, if it is all replica old oak, then it is very well done. My room was large with a half tester bed and quite charmingly decorated. With heavy wood internal and external shutters on the window. I was immediately above the road but was not disturbed by road noise.; The Hotel is situated at the bottom end of the town, so to reach the old town is across a very attractively decorated roundabout with a Templar Knight on horseback in the centre and a good 300metre walk. the old town centre is a lovely surprise.

I parked for free right outside the front of the Hotel. Staff were lovely and helpful. I would happily stay there on another occasion.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 June 2013

The building has an interesting design dating back to the sixties with an impression of a mini castle. The rooms were dated and in need of an upgrade. Unfortunately our strongest impression was of stale cigarette smoke in our rooms. The staff were helpful, its biggest plus was its closeness to the town and shops.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank disjas
Recepcion_Hotel, Director de Recepción at Hotel Temple Ponferrada, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

First, we would like to thank you for your comment. We always try to make our best.
We know the hotel is not the newest in Ponferrada, but we have remodelate most of floors. In fact we are now improving all deficences we could have in the past to make our guests stay the most comfortable possible.

Best regards from all Hotel Temple staff!!

Reviewed 29 May 2013

The 4 stars are undeserved. Really.

When I asked for the price of the single room, I was surprised it was 55 € for a four star, I thought it was maybe due to low season and weekday rate. The room is ugly, but very much in the old Castilian style, so I thought, OK, I do not share the taste, but I'm flexible. The bed is far from comfortable, but I can survive one night.

I arrived around 15:30, not an unusual time in Spain to eat lunch, but the kitchen was closed and I could not get hold of anyone to order something to eat... I waited till 20:30 for a nice, early(ish) dinner and... I am really upset. I do not know if I should feel sorry for them or for myself.

The menu was so limited and so unappealing. They were out of half of the references a la carte. So being as hungry as I am, after having waited for 5 hours to eat a nice dinner, I ended ordering a cold cut and cheese platter. What I got is insulting. Cold cuts that have been longer in the fridge than in the pig, so stale and over refrigerated that even with my best of hungers I find inedible. The waiter has been trying to serve me, but what? He has nothing to offer. I asked if they had a soup. No, they do not.

They are feeling as sorry for me, as I am for them.

I have not have such an unacceptable dinner, not for a 'four star' hotel, but for any Spanish bar!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank XAO13
Reviewed 22 September 2012

The best thing i could say about The Temple Hotel would be that it is conveninently located to the RENF train station.
This hotel was disappointing being my first night on the Camino. Expecting something somewhat romantic and charming but the description of its interior decoration i found something a little sad and dreary that would benefit from more lighting.
The room although small was reasonable but the noise from the airconditioner was atrocious. We were unable to change rooms so reluctantly put up with it, hoping that being so tired and an early start would help us through the night. Unfortunately only being on the 2nd floor proved to close to ground level when the night owls of Ponferrada after Fiesta continually congregated at the park across the road and kept us up most of the evening.
We had arranged with the front desk staff to book a taxi for the morning - which didn't happen and then we had to wait on the street (with lurking fiesta stragglers) while the front desk man ordered another one to come that morning.
Not the best impression but not their fault for the bad behaviour of party-goers.

Room Tip: a higher room to guard against street noise; a back room to guard against park party-goers noise; an...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2012

A curious mock-medieval hotel which has a definite 70's look and I hope they keep it that way. It's a good 10 minutes walk to the Castle and the 'Casco viejo' where all the tapa bars are. Our room was fine and we had a good night's rest. The bar is truly retro and marvellous. Breakfast was a little unimaginative, there was no hot option. We got to know people in the town and they rate this hotel highly.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I actually think this enjoyable hotel is in a better location than the old city. Not only are you two minutes walk from the railway station, and across from a park, but you are also right by lots of great restaurants. The old city is extremely boring, and I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be there at night. The main "new city" square, a five minute walk from the hotel, is super-lively at night, lined by outdoor bars, cafes, and restaurants, and a fun place to be.

The hotel is 4 stars for the lobby, and exteriors, 3 stars for the rooms (with aircon). I paid 56 euros, and thought it was a great deal. My room was very comfortable, basic with some character, and a good bath.

Overall, this is a fun place to stay, in a great location, with a low price. Ponferrada is not really worth staying in, but this hotel helped make it worthwhile!

Room Tip: Get one with a balcony overlooking the park and mountains.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2007

The building looks like a manor and it's full of old carpets and massive furniture (and even a few armours!). Our room was small and spartan, the bed was hard, the TV set very small and the bathroom looked exactly like in 1978, which is when I last stayed here. The hotel is 1.6 km away from the historic city centre (but still in the city), near a beautiful park... and 20 m off the railway. In summary, this hotel should be a 3-star instead of a 4-star and doesn't have the best of the locations. Stay there and enjoy its medieval charm if you get a good deal (less than 70 euros), otherwise go somewhere else (Los Arcos is a good one, right in the main square of the old town).

• Stayed: August 2007