“Food Lets It Down”

Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Calella
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Food Lets It Down”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We had a very comfortable (superior) room at Les Palmeres with wifi, safe and drinks-making facilties included. The cleaning service was excellent and we enjoyed the rooftop terraces for relaxing in peace.

Don't know if our trip (23-30 September 2013) coincided with a 'wind-down' following the main season, but the food on offer (we stayed half board) was very poor for a 4 star hotel. Breakfast was adequate - no more. But dinner offered a poor choice and very low-quality food. There were two meat choices most nights, but cheap cuts and poorly-made dishes. The 'show cooking' was slow, with supplies frequemtly exhausted and the chef apparently otherwise engaged. The meat dishes were augmented by one or two generic, unlabelled "fish" dishes - always unsatisfactory when you don't know exactly what you are being offered.

It's disappointing to see such a comfortable hotel, with friendly and helpful staff let down by an apparent attempt to economise on the food offering. We feel pushed more towards self-catering options when we feel unable to trust a '4 star' badge and a Best Western association.

Room Tip: The superior room was good value, with many extras included.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Orsen K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
Poltava, Ukraine
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The hotel is situated in front of the railway crossing, so the way to the beach takes 3 minutes. Dishes in the restaurant are varied and delicious. Wi-Fi works in the room fast and without problems. The staff is friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NovikovaOlga1985
Pontypool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

It is a fanatic hotel a true 4 star! Room was comfortable - well equipped,immaculately clean and well maintained.Restaurant very good - we had breakfast and dinners - all very good and plenty of choices.The staff are all friendly and helpful.
Convenient for the beach - reached by an underpass on Seafront. Hotel is in heart of a busy cafe/restaurant area - but we had no noise problems! We will definitely be back!
Best hotel Ferris Holidays offer!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pooler37
London, England
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Have stayed at the Les Palmeres Hotel on many occasions. The rooms are large, with air conditioning and kept extremely clean. The staff are very helpful and welcoming. I have had my birthday in the hotel and the chef kindly baked me a cake and the staff sang happy birthday, it was so unexpected but made it a day to remember. There was also a beautiful bunch of flowers in my room from the staff and management. The food is great with plenty to choose from. The nicest thing is that you do not have to fight for a sunbed or put towels down to reserve one. You are also close to all amenities and the beach is 2 minutes walk away. We love it that is why we are going back in August 2013.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jean59
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I was so unfortunate as to book (and fully pre-pay) a room in this hotel for my August vacation. One of the obvious reasons why I chose it (besides discounts) was the promised free (i.e., included in the price) in-room Internet and the famous brand. My previous two stays in the Miami Beach Best Western hotel at the 42nd street left only pleasant memories. After two nights' stay in Les Palmeres I'm feeling like a victim of a scam. First, the free Internet in the room was so slow you could watch YouTube only with minutes' pauses after each several seconds. But o.k. with that. On the second evening, neither my iPad, nor iPhone were able to connect to any of the many formally available hotel Wi-Fi options except the reception hall Wi-Fi not strong enough to be visible anywhere outside of the reception hall. The hotel has a security system consisting of two passwords (one to access the hotspot and another on a pop-up web page to testify you will comply with the hotel's rules). And since the second evening after entering the first password, no window popped up to allow entering the second password, my iPad and iPhone trying to connect for as long as my temper allowed, with no success. The only Wi-Fi option, which was not protected (from the hotel's guests) with a second password, allowed Internet connection in the reception hall. What astonished me the most was the reaction of the reception staff. The reception lady (I very often stay in hotels for both business and recreational purposes, but have never seen so unfriendly it's-not-my-problem hotel employee) with no other clients at the reception at the moment most of all wanted to get rid of me as soon as I told about the issue. With a thick accent and unfriendly irritated look, she said to me something like: you need keep trying. The other reception gentleman told me the issue had persisted for a month, and when I suggested he report it to get resolved, I saw a genuine surprise in his eyes. I tried therefore to find a way to report the issue myself. I was again surprised to find Best Western chain not having any tool to communicate any issues besides the survey you can complete no more than once a month and which definitely doesn't suppose quick response and resolution of the problems the chain's guests happen to deal with. But next day I learnt the Wi-Fi issue was a pretty insignificant event compared to what you may face staying in this hotel. Next day during a short period of time I was absent for a lunch, my room was both cleaned and deprived of my personal quite expensive towel (I usually take it to a beach), which was kept in a separate bag on the room's floor. When I returned and didn't find it, I went to reception again (I felt literally pissed off at the moment). The other reception lady promised to talk to room service employees who could clean my room at the lunch time. She called back some time later to tell that the room service lady said she hadn't taken anything from the room (only white towels from the bathrooms). I asked if they have a standard procedure to report theft. She was surprised. Why am I writing about this stuff here - only because there is no other tool in Best Western hotel chain to report what happens in their hotels with their clients, with you guys after you have payed the full price of your stay, then separately the local taxes, then 35 euros for using a safe in your room for 10 days - perhaps they'll read the feedback here. No need to say it all ruined my vacation and left me contemplating why I didn't "overpay" for the HTop Amaika across the street where I had no problems staying last summer...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
9 Thank Alexander_Moscow_B
notts
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We booked Volga hotel with travel republic but on arrival was transferred here. The hotel was brill, very clean,really large room,excellent air con and food at breakfast and evening meal was great. Wine only €9 a bottle too.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank frizziep
North Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

It is a lovely hotel in every way! a true 4 star! Room was comfortable - well equipped,immaculately clean and well maintained.Restaurant very good - we had breakfast and dinners - all very good and plenty of choices.
We had Superior Room so had free safe! 2 x hours in Spa included - just the right side of Useful extras!The staff are ALL friendly and helpful.
An only downside -hotel is NOT on Seafront BUT it IS very convenient for the beach - reached by an underpass on Seafront! Hotel is in heart of BUSY cafe/restaurant area - but pleased to say we had no noise problems! We will definitely go back!

Room Tip: High up room was excellent for us - as mentioned - no Sea Views though as Hotel is on a back street.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple