“Okay but. ..” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 43 Hotels in Calella
holmfirth
“Okay but. ..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as a family of four for three days in July. Our first impression was that it was a really busy little hotel, in fact we were kept waiting for our room for over an hour. When we finally questioned what was happening the staff were very helpful and upgraded us to a junior suite.

Our room was therefore lovely. The rest of the hotel was pleasant, it had a games room, an adults only area, a children's play area (mainly aimed at the very young) and an area that doubled as an outdoor seating area/ pool area.

Entertainment was provided by the hotel most nights and there was also a Kids Club. Another benefit of this hotel is that it is only a short walk to the shops and the beach, and it is really easy to get to by train if you are travelling independently.

Meals at the hotel were served in the dining room which became very busy. When the weather was good some people ate outside, when it rained however it was a bit like trying to eat in a school canteen. The food was European and varied. Even the fussy eaters in our family could find something that they liked, but you have to remember that it's not a five star hotel.

The one thing that concerned me were standards of cleanliness by some staff. Late one night my daughter was ill so I asked for some cleaning materials. I was sent a mop and bucket which was fine, but we had to ask again for some sort of disinfectant. Furthermore, when my husband asked for cloths to clean the bathroom he was given a towel.This worried me as my daughter could have had norovirus and the towel was inadequate to clean with. Not wanting to risk the spread of a virus in a hotel I did the best job that I could, but I feel that more assistance from the hotel would have helped both us and them.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dianeslavs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I was a little nervous after reading reviews, discovering this hotel catered for large party of students but was pleasantly surprised by this hotel, all staff very welcoming and the hotel very well run.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank legs88
Cromer, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

just got back from an excellent stay here. The rooms were spotless and cleaners come in daily. The staff were very helpful, and location was excellent. Its not 5* accommodation but it is clean and central what more could you want for the great price.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank holli91
Cavan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Having been to Calella several times and twice having a drink in this hotel I was looking forward to staying there. Our booking was with Alpha rooms. In our booking it was stated that we were been allocated an apartment, however after checking in we were informed that we were been given a room. Our room was very small with no balcony. When I enquired at reception I was informed that I would have to pay a 6 euro per day upgrade. I have not heard any of the other reviewers mention this. As it was our wedding anniversary I paid for the upgrade. I felt it was an unfair charge as I have not came across this before in other hotels I have stayed in in this area. Also in my booking I had requested a balcony with pool view.
The food was fair, I felt the wine was a little expensive for the Costa Brava.
The staff however were very friendly. It is also very central.
In summary I would not rate this hotel as highly as others, maybe they had a more positive experience than me

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Angela C
Noduwez, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

The hotel is convieniently placed: it's near the main road and the beach. The food is simply DELICIOUS and the staff is nice.
Yet, there are several negative points: if you choose a room, be sure to take a "more expensive" one, i.e. a bigger one. I was in a small room with two other people and we barely had any space. The window would barely open and it was simply hot. The A/C would make a hell lot of noise, too.
The bathroom was rather small, but it was enough for our use.

Room Tip: Choose the bigger rooms, avoid the smaller ones. The small rooms are too tiny, the "big" o...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Denver D
wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Just stayed in this hotel. Its a little treasure for the money. Firstly I had problems printing out my confirmation. The receptionist was very patient and very helpful with me and sorted it. Then I couldnt find my room (my own fault!). The big boss went out of his way to help me which I was very grateful for and impressed with. Its spotless, in a great location, great sunbathing areas, excellent prices, cheerful staff, lovely Mediterranean / different feel to the place. Free fast wifi in the entire hotel. Excellent value. Would highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank DebJo225
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Overall a very enjoyable stay. The rooms were spacious and cleaned very well each day. The decor was a bit tired but this is purely cosmetic. Hairdryer in bathroom useless. Would advise to bring your own especially if you have long hair. Good choice every day for breakfast and dinner. Salads not great. Nice selection of wines well priced. Children loved the swimming pool. Great location. Lovely town would go again. Staff very helpful

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank SandraB73
Neptuno2009, Director General at Hotel Neptuno & Apartments, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Family,
many thanks for your comments of the hotel. we realy apreciate that the hair dryer is not working well, we will advise and repare for the next clients.
We hope to see you again
regards from Spain.