“Couldn't last 24 hours - that bad!”
Review of Terramar Hotel

Terramar Hotel
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Calella
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I read all the bad reviews and was very nervous about staying here, the reception area and restaurant don't reflect the actual state this is misleading, anyway we were given an 'upgraded' room as they forgot to confirm our booking, the room was ok and after reading all the reviews I was surprised however no air con, the biggest problem is the noise and the loud music on the balcony, it was too warm to sleep without the balcony doors open but then could not sleep due to the noise finally around 12am I was falling asleep then was woken up up a load of cigarette smoke this was thd last straw as this now meant having to close the doors and with no fresh air we had to leave, I could not take this any more we were booked in for 5 nights what a waste of money I have never had to desperately search for another hotel in the middle if the night, finally we reserved another hotel 4 star this time and left that night, the icing on the cake was when trying to check out the hotel couldn't get us a taxi as none of their phones were working, feeling so desperate to escape I had to give my personal mobile for then to call the taxi, they kept calling the wrong number eventually after 45 min we left and never looked back!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Writi

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Honestly and truthfully coming from someone who has never complained about anything ever and is used to making the best of a place, this place is horrendous. The room we had was awful, nothing like images online! The beds were so uncomfortable my 10 yr old slept on the floor! The noise at night was intolerable. I've been camping and slept under canvas and had better nights sleep! The food was awful, greasy, salty and unappetizing. No privacy on balconies, just not suitable for families. A good base for youngsters but shouldn't be mixed with families. The pool was nice and the bar. Jose was a pleasant chap. We checked out as soon as we could. (We weren't the only people leaving after 1 night) The staff were pleasant enough but seemed so used to complaints they weren't phased by them at all. My honest opinion is dont stay here and expect to sleep at night!

Room Tip: Not suitable for families.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 45kayt
Reviewed 21 August 2013

alright I will start by saying you get what you pay for, Its is a 3 star hotel. I stay there between 10-14 august 2013, The staff very friendly and polite. The hotel rooms need redecorating, the bathroom needs to be updated...not very nice at all. I wasn't happy about all the Germany and Russian students who likes to make a lot of noise (partying). I found some of them very rude. The food was ok but not to my liking seems like they was catering to the Germany students more. I was out every day doing activities and going to the beach. I wouldn't stay their again as the rooms need to be redecorated and bathroom updated. But if you don't mind a bit of noise then I say go for it. what you pay for is what you get. I enjoyed my stay in calella and would go back again. Lovely staff I must stress that!!! They was so helpful to me and my children.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kay d
Reviewed 4 August 2013

So, although the Hotel Terramar is supposed to be a three star hotel, I agree that it is noisy and not for families, or maybe not for civilized folks. Although the staff was friendly, I think they were a little embarrassed by the nature of the run-down environment. However, the very-bare bones room had a "feature" ANTS!! Hundreds of ants. And they were not satisified, it turned out, staying on the floor. At 4 AM, my wife woke up itching, and turned on the light. she had about 20 little ants on her and on her pillow and woke me up to find that I had at least as many, plus I had a large number of ant carcasses under where I was sleeping! They were crawing up the headboard and making themselves at home. YUCK! In all our days of camping, we never had such bug problems. We showered packed up and left. At 5:30AM, there was no one with the authority to refund our money (we had paid for two nights), and when Bookings.com tried t get them to refund our money they refused. (Booking.com to their credit agreed to refund half of our payment.)
So, don't stay at the Hotel Terramar (or is it Terror-more?) unless you are an etymologist who likes to get close to his work at night.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charles m
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Right lets start with what I would say was a 100% honest review
Having booked the holiday in may this year and paid £389 for flights transfers and hotel on half board for a week on the 26 July!!! I would say was a bargain in it self. After reading the reports on here I was very nervous bout arriving at the hotel, we arrived about 3am reception was very helpful , we were given room 332 on 3rd floor which had 3 beds, over looking pool and sea view as well.. I agree there was no air condition and was very warm, also I agree there was young German Russians on balconies at the time of the nite... Reception had told us any noise to ring them ASAP and they will sort it out.. After getting to sleep and the following morning with sun shining this hotel looked good yes it's 3 star I would say 2 star plus... Breakfast was good plenty of cold meats cheeses eggs cereals. Bacon etc... Pool Is good but does lack sun loungers., there is only 14 around the pool good thing is the hotel do not allow any ppl around pool until 10 so no reserving the limited sun loungers... Evening meal is buffet, plenty of variety I don't think you can go hungry bad point non of the food is marked to what it is!! We ate there 6 out of 7 Nites.. I agree with some of the other reviews this hotel is not for families, or older couples but we were 3 ppl aged 22, 31 and 35 location is fantastic 3 mins from beach 4 mins for, nite life.. Overall I don't think u can complain at paying £22 a nite half board in the height of summer.... I would go back to the hotel and calella

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Chris D
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We arrived on Monday 22nd July 2013, from the outside it looked like a nice place. The rooms are basic with no air/con but clean and the housekeeping was very good. Clean towels everyday. The shower was in the bath and no-where to attach it to the wall. The heat I can cope with by having the patio doors open...however, every room on our floor was full of German teenagers with 2 things on their mind, copious amounts of alcohol and their own little raves on their balcony!! It was horrendous. We complained over and over again to the staff. They did shut them up but I was constantly asking them to turn the music down as I had a 5 year old in bed. Other than the constant noise on a night, the staff are very friendly and helpful and the food was okay. The pool area was lovely and kids enjoyed spending time in the pool...until all the younger guests arrived, the boys were just acting idiots with no regard for the smaller swimmers and the girls laid around the pool tutting in disgust if a child splashed near them!

The site I booked this hotel on said it was family friendly. It is most certainly not for those who want a relaxing holiday with their family.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Emma W
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The hotel was over run with dutch and german teenagers who come alive when you need your sleep we had to move rooms but more arrived and they would party all night drinking shouting and playing music on the the balconies some were thrown out but there would be relpacements the next day. One of the staff told us they had expressed their concerns to the owner but as they said he lived in a big house away from it and ought to try spending a night there to experience it.
As the hotel has no aircon you cant shut the doors so you just cant sleep, having just spent a week there it felt like two but with no sleep. JUST DONT GO THERE!

Room Tip: all the rooms are in need of renovation but in fairness are clean the staff are nice but can only wo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family