“Rated low due to rude staff not hotel.”

H.TOP Calella Palace & Spa
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Calella
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Went here with my friend for a short break (4 days)
The hotel is clean, rooms are very spacoius and lovely roof terrace to sunbath on.

We enjoyed our break at this hotel very much. We met some lovely people and had a really nice time. I would have rated this hotel higher but the bar staff really let it down. They didnt smile, ingnored you sometimes, just used to walk off whilst you were trying to order a drink!! I have never seen such rude staff. We even went to one of the other H TOP Hotels for the afternoon and the bar staff there were also really rude!!!
I cannot understand why they are like this. You would think they would be wanting guests to return again and again to keep them in a job!!
Also another thing that was really irritating, once the clock struck midnight everyone had to go inside. You couldn't finish your drink chatting outside where you had been sitting all night. Then once inside the staff turned all the lights out!! it was pitch black. So in other words, you had to go to your rooms like naughty children who had stayed up passed their bedtime.
Good points- the food was very nice. I was expecting slop as we usually stay in a higher class hotel but I was pleasantly surprised. You could always get something to eat that you liked. Maybe we went to the dining room at the right time of evening when it was all just out fresh. We had Veal, Blue shark steaks, Rabbit. Not what I expected for the money. It could have been a little warmer but that is me being picky.
The red wine was nice from the dining room but ice cold from the bars.
The roof terrace was fabulous!!! No children were allowed on the roof terrace so it was great for peace and quiet sunbathing. Only fault I found was that they didn't open the roof terrace until 10am and the bar was not open until 11am, not even for a coffee or soft drink. I like to sunbath quite early so this really bothered me but may be okay for those who like to lie in bed till later.
My friend and I both slept really well, the beds were comfy.
Air con in the rooms but it is on a timer set by the hotel, 2pm till 2am.
There was a pool area for families but we didn't use it so cant really comment on that but it looked nice.
Also I noticed the hotel is disabled friendly, quite a few people there in wheelchairs. I think this is a great thing to let people know as it is quite difficult to find one that suits wheelchairs. You could access every area via lifts or ramps.
We also found the hotel to be close enough to the shops and beach if you wanted to go out for a walk.
The other good thing we liked was that you could use any of the H TOP Hotels on an all inclusive basis. We went to Pineda Palace for the day. We met my son and his gitrlfriend there. They were staying at another H TOP Hotel, we met hlf way and enjoyed the afternoon together. This made a nice change as well.
This hotel was ok for a cheap , short break. Would use again but the management really do need to sort the bar staff out. Everyone was complaining about the bar staff not just us.
I wouldn't say it was a 4 star, more like a 3 star. I have stayed in a hell of a lot better but also stayed in a lot worse.
We also noticed that it was very quiet during the night. Not rowdy as some reviews had stated. Maybe we went at the right time of year.
Hope this review helps.

6  Thank shellpetejacko
Write a ReviewReviews (1,991)

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Visited this hotel with my boyfriend and some of my family (parents, aunts and uncles), hotel was nice, clean and food was nice, good variety but so very noisy, walls are literally paper thin, you can hear people whispering through them! Also the bar staff are so miserable and unfriendly....! On the last day our all inclusive cards were also stopped at 12pm although we had paid for 7 days all inclusive and arrived on her first day at midnight. Would not stay here again -too noisy!!

Room Tip: If you are going with a couple do not book altogether as they will put 4 of you in one massive room...
1  Thank Carly-Jayne H
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I would like to complain about this so called 4 Star Hotel, firstly no way is this a 4* Hotel, pushing a 3* is more like it. The roof terrace staff are so miserable, rude (I got a coffee at 12.03 and he took it out of my hands and said I was not allowed it as my all inclusive finished at 12.00 he didnt even give me a chance to offer to pay for it. The Bar staff at the main Bar downstairs are also very rude, miserable and not helpful at all. They have introduced a card system one drink per card per person, plastic glasses, and if you dont take your glass back you cannot get another drink total and utter waste of time (It just means the so called waiters don't have to do much at all) The Restaurant manager and the staff in there are friendly, lovely, helpful especially the manager he is brilliant. The food is very basic but always presented well. We have been there a few times now but this is the last time as it has gone down from a 4* to maybe a 3* but the place Calella I loved.

3  Thank Janet C
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Not the best...In my opinion and my boyfriend that was the worst hotel ever we been in...I give them 2.5* for rooms, and 3* for facilities(which need be upgraded). I expected much much more from this hotel...so a little bit disappointed after all. Rooms was clean but not finished off in a satisfactory manner. Food was ok but nothing extraordinary. Elevator to the left broken couple times on our week stay...( is only 3 of them for more then 300 rooms,so is better to take stairs-good for you health)...in one morning no water for an hour...but they fixed it quickly...Some staff really friendly but most of them no smile at all(maybe because they work 6 days a week and got only 1 day off)...;(...Card system a little bit annoying for all inclusive drinks (You have to bring back your glass to the bar after use and waiter give you new one with new drink...Maybe is like that because they want save money for staff who have to clean after all inclusive guests...but you expect that in a 4*hotel...?).You can rent a bike(for all inclusive guests for free after give them 50euro deposit) what was really good fun and we saw much much more places around our hotel and Calella resort. We done couple trips...one to LLoret De Mar(worth to go for day trip or even stay there for longer...in my opinion is better than Calella...more shops and places to go at evenings and night times...much more discos there if you like to go out) and second one to Barcelona(very busy but beautifull and definitely worth to go to but beware of thieves). Train system really good and very cheap and easy to operate.

1  Thank aggietripper
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Just returned from a 7-night-stay at this hotel and wasn't sorry at all to leave the place!

The rooms were clean, I should admit the chambermaids did a good job, however, the corridors were very dirty, narrow and dark. Also, the room walls were paper thin - you could here EVERYthing going on around you (literally!) - I could even hear the phone ringing 5 rooms from ours!!! There were lots of teenagers staying at the hotel and they were extremely noisy and ill-behaved returning shouting and laughing to their rooms at 4-5 a.m.!!
There was no running water one of the mornings and it came around 8 a.m. :(
There were only 2 elevators + 1 panoramic one which were totally insufficient to carry over all the people and luggage (there were no errand-boys) between the 7 floors.

The reception service was not the best one you could get - you could wait at the reception for 5 min without anyone paying attention to you. No specific order for assisting people at the recepton was followed - you could be the first one standing there and be the last one to receive help, you just think they are ignoring you on purpose!
Internet was expensive and very slow ... you should wait a few seconds to just open the home page so it isn't worth the price at all (5 euros a day/18 euros for 1 week).

Eating at the restaurant was the most horrible thing you could experience!!! The dishes, glasses and cutlery had food remains and stains on them which poses serious concerns on hygiene!!!! It was totally disgusting and totally unacceptable for a 4-star hotel!!!!!!!!!! No wonder that several people from our group (including me) got sick at the end of our stay (and there is no doctor at the hotel)!!!!
Breakfast was the same each and every morning, lunch and dinner was almost the same case and do not expect to try any Spanish dishes - for a whole week, the only traditional dish that was served was paella...

The gym was a complete joke!!!! Very small and full of old, dirty, rust-eaten (really!) exercisers - completely unusable!!! The whole SPA zone smelled of sweat... disgusting!

We had a very unpleasant experience with ordering a rent-a-car from the hotel. The receptionist was kind to call the company that was advertised at the reception - "Olympia" - and ordered a car for us for 9:00 a.m. the next morning. This was the earliest hour we could bargain, they even wanted to bring the car at 10:45 a.m. which was tottaly unacceptable since the whole morning would already be over and you are paying for a whole day after all! Anyway, they finally agreed to bring the car at 9:00. We were at the reception at 8:50 a.m. the next day but to our bad luck and surprise nobody from the company showed up. We waited at the reception for 2 hours and asked for help from the receptionist who had ordered the car for us the previous day, but to no avail - she refused to help and repeatedly stated that they "do not work with those people" (despite having called them herself to order the car)!!!!! We asked this girl for help 2-3 times (I am sorry we didn't get her name) until she finally agreed to call the company. Not that there was any effect - they just didn't pick up the phone!! We finally waited for another receptionist to come and went to her for help - that girl, on the contrary, was very nice and helpful and called the car rental company right away - she tried different phone numbers until she finally got to speak to somebody who said that they didn't come at the appointment because they were still waiting for a car to become available! They could have at least called the hotel to warn us instead of making 4 people wait for them for 2 hours and spoil their plans for the whole day!!! I am perfectly aware that the car rental service is not offered by the hotel but by a 3rd party vendor, but stil the receptionist should have been more helpful and assisted us to get in touch with these people earlier.

In my opinion, 'Calella Palace' can hardly rate for even a 3-star hotel (I've been to better 3-star hotels), let alone for a 4-star one!!

Room Tip: Pool-side rooms are better
Reviewed 22 September 2012

So we just got back from out Holiday here, although overall we had a good time in Calella, this hotel was just not up to scratch and should not be considered a 4Star hotel.

So lets start from the beginning. The staff are a mixed bag of nuts, some of them are really friendly, welcoming and seemingly happy to be there to help you, some of them on the other hand act they're angry you exist and this really needs to be addressed.

Moving up to the room, which was nice but I have stayed in better 3Star hotels, to begin with the walls are so thin, you can hear everything going on around you (and I mean everything). Also depending on which side of the hotel you are lucky enough to land on, the road going up the side, become very popular at night, (Not the hotels fault, but something you should consider). Something that the hotel should control more here though it the noise of the other guests going back to their rooms late at night, too many of them are very noisy in the corridors and not enough is done to prevent this.

So, breakfast and dinner time...... Where to begin.... it's not indicative of the Spanish culture it's all the typical kind of crap. Breakfast is the same every morning. Bacon (if you can call it that) eggs, beans, (Only) white bread which seems to have been there a while and other low quality items.

Dinner isn't much better, although the variety is plentiful and changes from time to time, not nearly enough and like I said, not very Spanish, (we found a vague attempt at Paella one night) but that was it and the Soup was the same every single day (Cream of vegetable to be precise) so don't expect much choice there.

Lastly, another thing that may not seem important was the use of certain facilities in the hotel, namely, WiFi, Internet and the scales (For weighing luggage), they will charge you for using it, Wifi starts from €5 per day which is just not necessary, it doesn't cost them for us to use it, they just wan't to make money.

Overall, I would not return to this hotel, except to go self catering, as it is in a good location (Although I would avoid the White Horse "Fun" Pub) I would travel a little further down the road to Jimmiez (€1.50 a pint) and very happy friendly service, and not far at all from Dia% (a local and cheap supermarket)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We had just came back today and still can not believe how bad the hotel was.. The room walls were so very thin so you could hear people's snoring, upset stomachs etc. the food was awful - the quantity was there, but the quality... Me and my husband - we had to dine outside to get some taste or just simply got some food from Dia - local supermarket. For breakfast i would only recommend coffee from the vending machine and for dinner an orange! it works well when you want to lose weight but not when you just want to enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: I recommend that you speak to people who have already been there and have similar expectations to yo...
2  Thank Alex M