“Clean but wouldn't go back”

H.TOP Calella Palace & Spa
Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in Calella
Reviewed 7 September 2009

When you finally get in the room has most people including ourselves had problems with the card to open the door! the electric used to trip out alot too in 1 week they replaced the fuse twice and we weren't in when it went so it wasn't down to us overloading.
The room was very small with 2 double beds and a single, the towels were changed daily
The balcony was very small too, with only a small table and 2 chairs
People have mentioned broken TV buttons this was done so that you had to ask for the remote and pay a 20 euro deposit guess this is to prevent loss of the remotes
When people that say the walls are thin they are not exaggerating I could here the guy next door pass wind!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw people running to put their towels on the sunbedsat 9am! some of whom then didn't even sit on them until 2-3pm and then only for an hour
The large pool didn't get the sun until about 1pm so never really got warm although the children were happy in it, the sunbeds are rather close together too

There was some queues at the bar but they weren't that bad to be honest, the food well does get a bit repetitive luckily I love salad which there was always loads and it was nice and fresh, most of the other food tended to be rather salty, the meat was mainly pork with the occasional chicken thrown in, The food was always kept full, and there was always fresh fruit
It was sometimes like feeding time at the zoo with my young nieces being knocked out of the way by other guests!
I don't normally go all inclusive and don't think I ever would again, some people seem to be there just to drink and eat as much as possible without any consideration for other guests

Most of the staff were lovely acouple were grumpy but then they did work very long hours beware of the lady who owns the shop, she was fine with us but could be quite rude to some people

Its only a 10 minute walk to the beach and there are some lovely little shops and coffee shops

I wouldn't call it a 4 star and though there was a lot of bad points we did enjoy ourselves but wouldn't go back there

1  Thank Andi09
There are newer reviews for H.TOP Calella Palace & Spa

Reviewed 6 September 2009

Ignoring all comments on flights and transfers as I'm rating this hotel on it own sevices and amenities (even though my flights and transfers went smoothly)

I went Feb 2008 on an AI basis and only writing this as I feel this hotel deserves more credit. We ( a family of 4, 2 kids aged 10 and 8) arrived at the hotel pretty late (after a disasterous event back home where I found out my daughter's passport had expired and trying to get this sorted resulting in our holiday of 7 days being cut short by 2 days), nevertheless we were greeted by a friendly male receptionist who wasn't able to find our details on their database. I showed them the printout of my email confirming the holiday but according to their database the holiday had been cancelled. However the male receptionist said that we could stay the night as it was late and that we had kids and he couldn't let us roaming around town at this time and he would phone up our booking company in the morning. He then issued us with our AI room keys and told us that dinner had already finished but the snack bar in the restaurant was still open if we were hungry and the bar remains open till 12.

He was the most sweetest man, for he trusted our words, we could have been anyone but it was the most welcoming guesture.

The room we received had 2 double beds but the beds were larger than double about an england king size, a large spacious bathroom and a balcony which didn't overlook much. The room is pretty basis with simple decor but it was cleaned daily. Honestly speaking we didn't stay in our rooms very much apart from sleeping and showering, but who doesn't. Yes all room have a small TV which only works when depositing for a remote which we did and our refund was returned at the end of this so no complaints here.

After a good night's sleep we decided to explore the hotel. Apparently there were jacuzzis on the roof terrace, however we didn't go there. There was a large outdoor pool which we didn't use as we went out of season so weather wasn't warm enough. They have a small indoor heated pool. It's very small but better than nothing, we made do and kids never complained about the size especially when they started making some friends and they had a blast here most days. People need to remember that most people travel here during the summer months for the sun and would usually use the outdoor pool and loungers so would not bother with an indoor pool. But honestly what can you get for 180 pp per week in england, not even a decent B&B.
There's also a jacuzzi in each of the changing rooms and a sauna, which I used once during my 5 days stay, which was nice and relaxing.
Apparently there's a gym but it's not very big, I didn't check it out as it's not what I came for and the bowling was out of service from what my kids informed me. This never bothered us because if we really wanted to exercise and go bowling we'd do it in the UK.

Food - on my opinion was exceptional for the price, I'm a fussy eater only because I love my food and a good cook always cooking from scratch and I always found something to eat at breakfast, lunch and dinner. There was a good selection of everything and caters for all nationalities. When we went, a large majority of the people were British and they seemed to enjoy the food there. There was chips everyday if that your platter lol, there was better food if you are adventurous and I'm one of those. I tried a little of everything just so I could see if its my cup of tea and I found many that were. Kids ate well too especially enjoying the ice-cream flavours.

Drinks - You can get 2 drinks at a time which for me was fine, there was never really too much of a queue. Everyday they did a different alcoholic (and non-alcoholic for kids which my kids enjoyed) cocktail and some were delicious, but mainly I was drinking vodka and coke. It's local variety but it was good of good strenght for AI, if you want brand names you can upgrade your card, we didn't need to, pretty happy with what we got. Kids also received their own card and felt VIP and by the end of the holiday didn't need it as the bar staff recognised them and already new what they wanted before even asking.

Entertainment - I didn't sit there long enough to comment but kids liked the kids disco. We went to Barcelona 2 days of the 5 so came back quite late and normally would take 2x drinks (4 each) to our room and enjoy it up there.

We never really saw rowdy crowds, were a few drunks (mainly brits which was quite shameful - we saw some parents which would sit at the bar from when it opened to when it closed and left kids to do what they wanted, felt sorry for the kids).

The location from the beach and town center is about a 20 minutes walk but its a nice stroll, slightly uphill so not really suitable with those with mobility problems, but there's a nice hilly park near by with great views of the town. Calella beach is a nice stretch of beach which would receive more credit on the summer months, anyway not full of rocks and seaweed.

Wrapping up, the hotel was wonderful with friendly staff, could benefit from a larger indoor pool and better amenities but you can travel to other HTop hotels if they're that important to you. AI package - fabulous and would return again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Kotenok_uk
Reviewed 6 September 2009

We had really good time at this hotel, despite it being in the school summer hols and thus full of families! As a couple who enjoy peace and quiet at times on holiday we really loved the roof top terrace with its own bar and jacuzzis and where no children are allowed!
True, there are often queues at the bar but this is to be expected, and though the dining room was noisy at times, we soon worked out when the quieter times were and went then.
The food was usually good, occasionally excellent and value for money.
The room was fine, quite big and spotlessly cleaned, though the balcony was small.
We will definitely be going again, Calella is a charming village, like Spain used to be years ago and the rail and boat links are excellent!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2009

We had a great holiday in Calella and overall we were happy enough with this hotel. Only downside for us was the walls being genuinely paper thin - you can hear every word people say in the next room and every single bathroom activity in detail...Not great at night when you're trying to sleep if you have a group of party people up all night next door.
Food was distinctly average, although plenty of it. Loads of pork and fish, plenty of salad, although quite mediocre, english choices such as chips, chicken or turkey for those that won't try anything "foreign". We have stayed at other 4 star All Inclusives and the food here didn't match up to previous experience. We ate out much more than we normally would on an AI trip.

Staff were very friendly, hotel very clean, pool nice, rooftop terrace great.
Here's the most random complaint ever though - On the first night my daughter was chilly (air con very good!) so I unfolded the blanket to throw over her, only to find a 12 bore shotgun catridge inside it. Yeah, you did read that correctly.

We took the live cartridge to reception who asked us to fill in a complaint form then left us with the bullet. At a loss what to do we popped it in our safe and waited for the manager to get in touch,but he didn't. Eventually our holiday rep advised us to give it to the police, only our lack of Spanish proved a massive stumbling block. On our 2nd to last day we stood at reception with the cartridge on the desk in front of us for ten minutes until a security gaurd asked us what we doing. Eventually we went to see the manager who hadn't read our complaint form (probably filed in that round file lol) and he said he didn't want to call the police as they would question what sort of people had been staying in his hotel....
I'd have to question that decision myself, as it was an English cartridge so you really do need to wonder why it was there. For us, we were happy to get rid of it, so job done.
This was a cheap and cheerful last minute deal and we did get value for money so would recommend this hotel for families who don't have fussy eaters in their group. Just pray you don't get a room next to party animals or anyone with an upset stomach!

1  Thank towngreen
Reviewed 5 September 2009

Stayed here at the Callela Palace with family and friends in a Group of ten people with adult ages ranging from 23 to 58 and children ages ranging between 5 and 13> Every one of us had a very enjoyable week between 24th and 31st August. Il start from the top.

ON ARRIVAL
We arrived at around 1500, Check in was very quick were allocated 3 rooms all next to each other on the first floor. We were given details of how the All Inclusive system works times of meals and other general Hotel information.

OUR ROOM
Our room was decorated quite modern and was well furnished. TV with English Channels (Remote Control deposit needed), built in hair dryer good shower and Bath with hot water in abundance. Balcony was small and view was just of a road although i think looking around the hotel we had one of the smallest balconies and rooms on the other side of the hotel would have a much better view. We didnt complain about the view or anything as we were pleased to all have rooms next to each other in such a busy hotel. Air condition ok, could have been a bit more powerfull.

FOOD
Other Reviews of bad food has annoyed me. This is a big hotel and very busy so for me the food excellent.
Breakfast was lovely, Bacon eggs different sausages beans cereals etc. at lunch
Always at least two meats and a fish dish to choose from with similar at dinner as well , including two meats/fish being cooked on griddles in front of you. The food had lots of taste and good variety. always pasta potatoes and veg to choose from. Kids had a seperate Buffet and we had some fussy kids and they all found something to eat every day. There was always a variety of desserts and lots of ice cream available, i didnt try a lot of them as was too full from dinner. You can get a bottle of wine with dinner on your all inclusive card we had the rose and was actually quite nice.

POOL
The main pool area was probably a bit small for the amount of people staying there but the kids still loved it and was in and out all day. There was quite a lot of Sunbeds available. you do need to be down pretty early to get one but that pretty much the same in most places i've stayed at, because the sun didnt get to the pool untill the afternoon a lot people put towels out and went off to the beach or the town etc then around the pool in the afternoon. therefore the pool is a bit quiter in the morning.

ENTERTAINMENT
The entertainment wasn't great one good professional show all week apart from that was flamingo dancers a disco the worst karaoke ever and a show put on by the h top staff which was very amateur. Some activities during the day but not enough for my liking.

On the roof of the hotel there are 3 jacuzzi's and a bar, this area is over 18's and is very quite so if you are going without kids this is perfect as you get the sun all day and the views are lovely.

DRINKS
Drinks were served with healthy measures. you can only buy two alcoholic drinks in one go we had 5 adults so needed three people to get a round of drinks and ques got quite long aprt from that no prblems with the drinks at all.
TO SUM UP
This hotel is one of the best in this area and we had a great week there. We didnt pay a lot of money for this holiday (around 350 each) in peak time so the value in my opinion is unbeatable. Would deffinately go back

1  Thank coachandhorses
Reviewed 31 August 2009

a very clean hotel with very good facilities.the hotel is situated in a quieter part of calella but it can attract younger noisier guests.the food is of very good quality and plenty of choice especially if you like fish and meat.there is limited space for getting a sunbed around the pool and half of the pool area stays shaded until around 2pm.there is a lovely roof top with plenty of sun loungers and a spa but you have to be 18 to go up there.you can struggle at night time to get a drink at the bar due to long queues.the worst thing about the hotel is the very poor entertainment programme.there is only 2-3 shows/acts a week.the other nights there is just boring old fashioned music played.there is limited entertainment for families.the 2 girls on reception are great and very helpful

1  Thank grcritchlow
Reviewed 30 August 2009

We visited for 10 days, wife and I, children aged 2, 8 and 15, having booked about a week or two before. Having booked, was apprehensive after reading the reviews but decided to adopt an open mind, particularly as I was going with my family and very much looking forward to a family holiday.

Overall, I'd rate this as a 3* hotel at best and this hotel needs to be revisited for a rating review.

Let's start with the Good - although I'd call this average really at best. The room was a family room, with 2 double sized beds and 1 single bed in 1 room. Not ideal if you have a teenager. But I've listed this as good because the room was cleaned every day and the sheets/towels changed too. Decor and amenities in the room were sparse and a portable TV with broken buttons and no volume control would not be seen in any 4* hotel.

Want to use the safe in the room? We were advised the charge was 80 euros for the 10 days which obviously reduces if you book it later in the week. Extortionate rate as it should be a fixed deposit type charge - particularly as it was a number pad safe and not a key that could be lost.

Lifts - at checkout, we had to wait 20 minutes for the main foyer lift as it was always full up. Other times, wait was 0 to 10 minutes but generally ok.

Bad and the Ugly:-
Restaurant meals and service were awful. Meat served was mainly pork, sometimes veal and chicken. Poor quality meat. Pork every day. You know you're going to struggle when you see Cauliflower served in a heavy, salty and fatty batter. The butter they provide for rolls etc was foul. Some deserts were tasty - chocolate angel delight style dish tasted very english, most cake dishes were tasteless and watch out for the fruit. Some fruit was fresh but we often found peaches, plums which were going bad and the apples on at least 3 days had a skin that looked like an 80 year old smoker !
Each day in the restaurant, I'd either find no coffee cups left, milk had run out for cereals, platters of food had been eaten and not replaced. Service was shoddy - but in fairness, it was a resource issue as opposed to staff attitude. Food wise - I'd rate as barely 3* at best.

Evening Entertainment.
Absolutely shocking for a family hotel. This was either non existent or the one night, the children's entertainers dressed up in nappies walking around the stage and pulled out a gun. In another scene, they enacted out the Bodyguard video, so again a gun was pulled out and pointed at some of the children. The last part of this act, they came out dressed as zombies, re-enacting the Thriller video with fake blood dripping down their faces. Not sure how many parents had problems with their kids but my youngest was quite upset by the last one.

Pool Tables x2 in lounge - 2 euro's for each game. Table Tennis in basement area - bubbly surface on table but still playable i guess - 5 euro deposit for bats/ball. Bowling in basement - 2 Euro's per player - not much fun. Gym in basement - weights, no running machine.

Pools:-
Indoor jacuzzi was nice but open during certain times only. Two main pools are small for the number of people staying there. At around 9am, you'll notice a mad rush of people running out to place their towels on the beds by the pool - then half will walk off and go for breakfast. Against the rules but tolerated every day. Pools packed with lilo's, boats sold in the hotel shop.

Bar Staff:
Overall some good service from the staff although often waiting 10 minutes for a drink. All inclusive up to midnight. After this time, you have to pay.

If you've booked, enjoy your stay. But if you've not booked, I'd class this as a 3* hotel only with poor quality food and awful entertainment.

Other people staying at the hotel was a mixed bag of people, Waynetta was there in many guises as were a few with some class. On my last day, as I was walking out the hotel, I saw a well dressed lady in her late 50's who asked one of the staff standing by the restaurant door for a "table for 2 please". Obviously her first night. Most people just wore shorts.

South of the hotel halfway to beach, there's about a mile or so long walk full of different shops - worth a look. Beach about 10 minutes walk south of hotel - sand good, not much fun with a push chair. Beware, shallow for a couple of metres then depth falls away steeply.

Despite the above, we still had some good times - but so many people were also unhappy with the standards - just left so very disappointed, particularly as it was our first holiday for 3 or 4 years.

Happy holidays.

1  Thank MutleyMike
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calella
H.TOP Amaika Superior
#75 of 124 in Lloret de Mar
H.TOP Royal Star & SPA
H.TOP Royal Star & SPA
#85 of 124 in Lloret de Mar

Been to H.TOP Calella Palace & Spa? Share your experiences!