“Clean hotel, very friendly and helpful staff, great food. Close to beach,”

MedPlaya Hotel Santa Monica
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Calella
“Clean hotel, very friendly and helpful staff, great food. Close to beach,”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We stayed here 28th May 2012 all inclusive. The weather was lovely and sunny every day. The hotel is just a 2 min walk to the beach (unfortunately the beach is shingle so tough on the feet and not good for sandcastles). There are plenty of shops, bars, restaurants surrounding and the railway station is a 10 min stroll away. Callela pavements tend to be full of dog mess and my husband stood in it a few times so be careful were you walk! The actual hotel is lovely. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and are happy to give out maps and point out directions. We requested a low floor, 2 adjoining rooms, pool views with balconies. We got 2 adjoining 1st floor rooms with pool views and large balconies. The balconies were that big there was a table and chairs and 2 sun loungers on them with plenty of space left - great if you want to sunbathe in peace. The pool was a bit on the small side and there is a kiddies pool separate. The 'shallow' end of the main pool is 6ft deep and the deep end was 10ft. Worryingly there are no depth markers on the pool so people got in the 'shallow' end only to find they couldnt stand up. There is NO LIFEGUARD at the pools. There is a guy who comes out and strolls round the pool once in a while. There are signs near the pool stating 'no inflatables, no jumping or diving in, no goggles and, strangely, no swimming with your head below water! There were plently of clean sun loungers around the pool. The rooms were small, there were 6 of us so each room had 3 single beds in. They are not finished to a high standard but are cleaned daily with fresh towels put in. The beds are rock hard and creak loudly. There is only one electric socket in the room. There are 2 lifts for those with walking difficulties and heavy suitcases. The restaurant is big and has a buffet style facility with a wide selection of options. The waiters are very keen and will whip your knife and fork away the minute you put them down! This resulted in us constantly having to get fresh cutlery and drinks. I got a meal and cup of coffee but couldn't carry both so went and put the coffee on the table and went back to collect my plate only to get back to the table less than minute later to find the waiter had took the coffee! The chefs cook some of the food at the servery which is nice. The poolside snack bar has a wide selection of drinks, both alcoholic and juices but the snacks are limited to a cheeseburger, hotdog, chip barm or ham toastie. The unlimited ice cream is in small yoghurt type pots. My 4 children are really good swimmers but I did cringe when younger ones got in the shallow end not knowing it was actually quite deep. We went on the train to Barcelona (30 min journey). The trains are lovely and clean and could teach our rail network a thing or two. They are on time, no graffiti or rubbish and each carriage has an electronic map with a flashing dot showing your location at all times. On the way back from Barcelona there was standing room only for the first few stops. The spanish are a very arrogant lot and even though I was standing with a child in my arms, when a seat became available 2 young spanish guys pushed me out of the way and literally fought eachother for the seat! Whilst standing on the train back I caught a woman trying to get the zip on my handbag open. She received a shock when I realised what she was doing and discreetly slipped my hand in next to hers in the side pocket (which incidentally was empty) and dug my sharp nails right into the back of her hand - a loud yelp followed by her scuttling away down the train sorted that one out. She had a cardigan over her arm to disguise what she was doing so beware when in crowds. The checkout on the last day wasn't until 12 noon and there is a basement (accessed by pressing -1 in the lift using the key from reception) and suitcases can be stored down there. Next to the luggage store are male and female changing rooms with showers, toilets etc. which was very helpful as our pick up for the airport wasn't until 5.15pm and the children could play in the pool and get showered and changed in the afternoon. The lady on reception cut off our all inclusive wristbands at 12 noon but there were plenty of people around the pool who offered to get drinks and snacks for us all until we were picked up. I went to Salou last year and must admit I did prefer it there but this wasn't a bad holiday all round - the actual hotel was great (apart from the potential dangers of the pool) - take away all the dog mess, arrogant locals and novice pickpockets and it would be a definite contender for a return holiday.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank notjustamum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Booked through onthebeach.com who where very efficiant. Flew with ryanair who were on time. Went to santa monica for a week, had bed and breakfast for two. As we arrived a very basic but clean room. No little kitchen and you have to rent a fridge if you require one-5€ per day! Maids came every day with clean towels and every other day to change bedding. Breakfast was very yummy! Was expecting calella to be more lively but we found it to suit more of the older generation :( nice to eat out but all the same kind of menus, standard food, couldnt find a posh restaurant or beach restaurant with fresh fish etc like other places abroad :/ the hotel didnt really tell us where to go for food or sightings or things to do! Entertainment in hotel was standard. Barcelona is well worth a visit on the train. Takes 15 mins walk to station and 1hr to get yo the lovely city, loads to do, lovely places to visit, nice food!!! All in all good hol but not for a couple of 23yr olds.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank natcheeew
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

great hotel went all inclusive the food was great, hotel clean ,staff are very good room cleaned every day close to the beach 15 mins walk to the railway station very hand for town centre anyone complaining about this place need there head examined will go back

Room Tip: try and get a room at the front busy road at the back but only during the day
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank 982geraldm
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

It had been 30 years since our last stay at the Santa Monica and my Husband and I were a little worried. However once we got there our worries were unfounded.
Our first week there it was full of Spanish pensioners but we thoroughly enjoyed watching them
Dancing..
As our room wasn't quite ready we went for a drink.On our return we were given the keys for a Disabled Room as I am in a wheel chair.
Everyone was helpful from Ray the "TOON" Barman the Dining Room staff Reception and Maids.
My husband and I had a wonderful time and roll on next holiday.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank eviesmum659
hucknall nottm
Reviewed 13 April 2012

have just returned from a stay at this hotel .first of all used vivatransfers to resort absolutely excellent on time both ways smartly dressed helped with luggage .and polite .cost 54 euros from girona for 4 .coming back we had a mini bus for 8 only 72 euros would always use these again as you book online but pay the driver on arrival in euros or by credit card. now hotel only one fault was full with spanish oldies which i have no objection to .but the entertainment was all geared up for them when you know some english have booked into hotel cannot they ask if english people would like to join in games bingo ect.the whole point of booking this hotel was for good family entertainment .which there was none .sure it must be differant in season i did approach the entertainment team to say english .but just reverted back to spanish all the time so did not bother .such a shame this let them down as reception excellent bar staff excellent and so friendly made you feel welcome rooms are basic but very clean and the food was as good as some 5 stars hotels absolutely brill .only five minutes to beach and main square with the few points ive mentioned it would be worthy of a four star rating

Room Tip: ask for high floor sea view we did and got it excellent
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank barceloner
Reviewed 18 January 2012

At 19 I went on my last family holiday with my parents and grandparents, it was very cheap when we booked it so expectations were not very high, but what can I say from arriving at Geneva airport I was impressed although the journey to the hotel was a bit of a shock as rather 'Ladies Of The Night' there 'Ladies Of The Day' all along the dual carriage way so if going with children make sure you cover there eyes as even I was shocked!! On arriving at the Santa Monica I was pleasantly surprised location was fantastic Callela is a truly lovely place town centre is a 10 minute walk, great shops and restraunts even a couple of night clubs although I didn't go with the right Crowd for that, the hotel it's self was lovely. Staff were fantastic Maria the bar lady was lovely once you broke the ice, the Geordie bartender also a great laugh!!! Make him do his kareoke song it's amazing!!! Food was okay very repeated but excellent fresh salad bar!! Fernando the entertainment guy works his bum off and is a great giggle, rooms are basic but to a good cleanliness standard. Pool is quite small though but practical!! So I'd recommend this hotel for anyone the train station is a short walk or a cheap choo choo ride away as the town has a tourist train that picks up outside the hotel every 20 minutes taking you all round Callela. I could write all day about this place but I won't JUST GO and stay at the Santa Monica :):):

• Stayed May 2011
10 Thank CrystalG92
Iver
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Stayed at this hotel in Septmeber with 8 friends and we couldn't fault it, food good, rooms clean (we had a sea view room which was wonderful) staff excellent. Calella is a lovely little town, still very Spanish. Fantastic time had by all.

Room Tip: Request a sea view
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends