“Nightmare - Worst Experience - Receptionist worse”
Review of Aparthotel Safari

Aparthotel Safari
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in Calella
Reviewed 14 October 2013

First of all the web page of the hotel is very misleading, it gives the impression that the hotel is on the sea front which it is not. When I called and asked if the photo had been doctored the person said know. They were not being truthful. The hotel is far from the beach and not so idealic as on their web site.

As the hotel is on a busy street with almost no parking I had to park illegally to get my stuff out of the car. I presented myself at the reception and the person immediately asked for my passport and that of the person accompanying me. I had on, the other person was in the car. I could not check in. I had to cross the road again to get the 2nd passport. This annoyed me as it could have been done later.

I has prepaid but thenI was asked for 4 Euros tax, this could have been added to the bill instead of having an additional item. I did not have the cash on me so I told him I would pay it later. This somehow seemed a big deal, another annoying point with the same person.

The rooms were big enough and reasonable. What was not reasonable was the noise outside between cars, trucks, people, and all sorts of other noises. Not a place to stay if you want to rest and I had a competition to do.

The breakfast was just minimum and the evening meal, I took half board was just abroad, not really good value with very little vegetables on the plate. Not for ones who are hungry or want to eat balanced.

The worst part of the stay came at the end. I asked to prolong the stay by one night which was not a problem. I came back the day of the extension to find that the receptionist, the same unpleasant man asked about payment. I told him I would get my car in the room. I walked as is my habit up the 4 flights of stairs to find that my key did not work. I had to come down to activate my key. The receptionist made me more than angry as he obviously knew this.

Worst was when my partner came on her own before me. She experienced the same problem with the key. The receptionist almost did not want to let her into the room as I had not paid. They had my card number so it was not a problem. A friend of the family who was leaving later that day and who had stayed in a different room but left their stuff in ours was asked "I though you had left" as if they were trying to sneak in.

The receptionist was the most ignorant and obnoxious person I have ever met. I have travelled a lot but have never written such a negative report on a hotel or person. I would never never stay there again.

The have a "swimming" pool at the back of the reception which is a laugh, a paddle pool and the the television saw better days. I did not take the remote control as I did not seethe point is stretching my neck at a 45% angle to watch a television which was bolted to the walls. I cannot imagine anybody wanting to steal these televisions.

I was glad to have only stayed a few days. Never, never again.

The security man at night was pleasant and very helpful, that was about the only person I can say had any merit in the hotel. The waiters at the restaurant with the exception of one were cranky and should never have contact with humans. The cleaning staff were pleasant and very helpful.

Room Tip: Miserable experience
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank rahenyman

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Worst place we've stayed in. Small out dated and alot of night time noise so don't expect a lot of sleep. Pool far too small was really a waste of time. The staff were plesent and helpful which was a bonus and the fact it was only a short walk to the town and beach was good. We did enjoy our holiday in CALELLA but would don't stay in the safari again

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Myself, my wife, my 8 year old son and my sister-in-law stayed in these apartments for 3 nights from 21-24 sept 13 and I have to say they were superb value for money. Ok the apartment was a little cramped for the 4 of us (2 sofa beds and 2 single beds) but how the hell can anyone complain when we only paid 77 pounds for 3 nights s/c? The apartment was basic but very clean and had a modern kitchen. The 'balcony' is more Romeo and juliette style than a proper walk-on balcony but I understand rooms are available with proper balcony. The safari is an excellent base for travelling to Barcelona as Calella train station is only a 10-15 minute walk away with excellent train links straight into the placa de catalunya. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, there is a nice little pool which never gets busy, there is also a restaurant which sells a good variety of delicious food from tapas to steak. You as guests of the apartments get 10%of the bill which is really good. We had fantastic weather (26c and sun every day) so we were at the beach 2 days. The beach has weird sand because the grains are bigger than usual, it doesn't stick to you like normal sand which is refreshing if you don't like this feeling! It simply falls off when you stand up, great! The sea was lovely and warm in September but there is quite a severe drop when walking into the sea with quite a lot of small pebbles. This could pose a problem for younger children if the sea is choppy but as it was as calm as a mill pond when we went, this was never an issue. There are volleyball and football pitches on the beach and 2 great beach bars right on the sand, a great place to chill with a cerveza. Although calella new town is really a bit of a 60s concrete jungle (still very clean), the old town with its lovely squares, churches and pretty, narrow alleys is a slice of the real Spain with traditional cafes, tapas bars and tavernas that come to life at night. I would recommend the Safari aparthotel to anyone travelling on a budget, all-in- all a great trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank chris_conelly
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Our first time to these apartments, and will be returning. Rooms were very clean, staff very friendly and helpful. It is a 5 minute walk to the restuarants, shops and the beach. This was great as we didnt have a car. Swimming pool was great and never busy. The safari restuarant has lovely food and the staff were just great and I do recommend eating there. Our stay here was fantastic!!

Room Tip: no balcony but a pool view is best
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TeresaS382
Reviewed 25 July 2013

AWFUL . Booked a weeks holiday here at the Safari block , Shocked when we got to our room .Very basic apartment overall , beds very hard
to sleep on . No aircon !!!! totally unacceptable during this time of the year .Opened the balcony doors to find a wire mesh straight across the outside of the doors ,NO BALCONY. The pool was very small and for most of the day was in the shade ,was told there were no sun bed cushions available to lay on . Lasted the ONE night then moved on , wasn't asked why when we checked out .One word ....AWFUL .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The apartments themselves are basic, which we knew about, but are very spacious. The balcony is great to have a bite to eat or your breakfast on. It is a five minute walk to the main area of Calella and the same to the beach. The pool is pretty small and most of it is in the shadow so the water is quite cold. Our main gripe is we were opposite 2 discos which were full of German 18-30 groups, who have absolutely no problem with shouting when they leave the bars at silly o'clock in the morning. Alas, there's no signs in the hotel to stop the youngsters from being quiet and respect other guests, which was disappointing. The fan (no air con) in the room made lots of noise so you needed to open the balcony door and hear the trill of drunk revelers at all hours. I think if we stayed on the other side of the hotel, we would have been ok.

Room Tip: Ask to be put up as high as you can on a room which is as far away from the main road as possible.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2013

My second time to these apartments,and will definitely return. Basic but very clean and staff very friendly. The only down side is no balcony,but for the time we spent in the apartment it didn't really matter. The safari restaurant did lovely food and staff was just great,cant wait to book again.

Room Tip: We have stayed both over looking pool and street,had no problem with noise what so ever
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family