“Could not have been better”
Review of Aparthotel Safari

Aparthotel Safari
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in Calella
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed here with my 18 year old daughter, we had never been to Spain before and were anxious about staying alone in a foreign country.
We were given a very warm welcome at Safari after a late flight from London. We were given a lovely apartment which was very clean and comfortable. We had a balcony with a table and chairs outside and it was equipped with everything we could possibly need. The housekeepers were efficient and discrete, leaving us fresh towels and toilet paper daily.
The reception staff helped us out a lot with information about local train services and restaurants, we were assisted with our airport transfer and local taxis. They were all very friendly and helpful and spoke very good english.
The hotel is 5 mins from the beach and there are many bars and restaurants close by.
We weren't troubled by any noise at night, we both slept like babies.
We had to check out by 10AM on our last day, as expected, though our flight home wasn't until 9.30PM the staff were happy to let us stash our luggage in the lockers while we had another day in the lovely Calella and they let us use the first floor lounge and bathroom facilities until our transfer bus came for us at 5PM.
I am unable to rate the restaurant facility as it was closed but the menu looked good.
We hope to return very soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank GinaRomero
There are newer reviews for Aparthotel Safari

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed here with my late teen, early twenties children on a family holiday. The "bedroom" was in fact the whole apartment, the only bit sectioned off was the bathroom, no privacy anywhere else in the place. Poorly equipped kitchen, not very clean, very uncomfortable beds, no air-con and very poor thin windows, which being opposite the entrance to the nightclub Kuai means you get no sleep whatsoever. I could not recommend this to anyone!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2014

having read some of there views I was a little bit weary about hotel safari but no need. The staff and position are excellent. It's not 5 star but then it's not 5 star prices. The rooms are clean and there is enough space to be reasonably comfortable (who goes on holiday to sit in the hotel) . I am going back again this year. The beach is great ,the sand is gritty so it doesn't stick to you ,but the beach is a little steep where it meets the sea. Plenty of pub's and cafe's for all tastes and some great beach bars. if you like a bit of live music the beach bars are great at night. If a bit of craic is more your thing try the Alcatraz pub , great for sport ,bingo , karaoke and the dry wit of mr johnny Madrid "the owner" and his wonderful staff. Barcelona is 45 mins away on the train and well worth a visit. All in all Calella is a great place for a fun holiday

Room Tip: get a room with a balconey facing towards the sea .
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We went to Spain for the first time and I will Never return again. The hotel room was fine but we were above a bar, which served until the early hours of the money, which meant that we were kept awake most nights, The beds were really uncomfortable and there was no comfy seats to sit in your room. It was an area surrounded by high rise apartments which was not for us.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet holiday it will not be here.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

First of all the web page of the hotel is very misleading, it gives the impression that the hotel is on the sea front which it is not. When I called and asked if the photo had been doctored the person said know. They were not being truthful. The hotel is far from the beach and not so idealic as on their web site.

As the hotel is on a busy street with almost no parking I had to park illegally to get my stuff out of the car. I presented myself at the reception and the person immediately asked for my passport and that of the person accompanying me. I had on, the other person was in the car. I could not check in. I had to cross the road again to get the 2nd passport. This annoyed me as it could have been done later.

I has prepaid but thenI was asked for 4 Euros tax, this could have been added to the bill instead of having an additional item. I did not have the cash on me so I told him I would pay it later. This somehow seemed a big deal, another annoying point with the same person.

The rooms were big enough and reasonable. What was not reasonable was the noise outside between cars, trucks, people, and all sorts of other noises. Not a place to stay if you want to rest and I had a competition to do.

The breakfast was just minimum and the evening meal, I took half board was just abroad, not really good value with very little vegetables on the plate. Not for ones who are hungry or want to eat balanced.

The worst part of the stay came at the end. I asked to prolong the stay by one night which was not a problem. I came back the day of the extension to find that the receptionist, the same unpleasant man asked about payment. I told him I would get my car in the room. I walked as is my habit up the 4 flights of stairs to find that my key did not work. I had to come down to activate my key. The receptionist made me more than angry as he obviously knew this.

Worst was when my partner came on her own before me. She experienced the same problem with the key. The receptionist almost did not want to let her into the room as I had not paid. They had my card number so it was not a problem. A friend of the family who was leaving later that day and who had stayed in a different room but left their stuff in ours was asked "I though you had left" as if they were trying to sneak in.

The receptionist was the most ignorant and obnoxious person I have ever met. I have travelled a lot but have never written such a negative report on a hotel or person. I would never never stay there again.

The have a "swimming" pool at the back of the reception which is a laugh, a paddle pool and the the television saw better days. I did not take the remote control as I did not seethe point is stretching my neck at a 45% angle to watch a television which was bolted to the walls. I cannot imagine anybody wanting to steal these televisions.

I was glad to have only stayed a few days. Never, never again.

The security man at night was pleasant and very helpful, that was about the only person I can say had any merit in the hotel. The waiters at the restaurant with the exception of one were cranky and should never have contact with humans. The cleaning staff were pleasant and very helpful.

Room Tip: Miserable experience
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank rahenyman
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Worst place we've stayed in. Small out dated and alot of night time noise so don't expect a lot of sleep. Pool far too small was really a waste of time. The staff were plesent and helpful which was a bonus and the fact it was only a short walk to the town and beach was good. We did enjoy our holiday in CALELLA but would don't stay in the safari again

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Myself, my wife, my 8 year old son and my sister-in-law stayed in these apartments for 3 nights from 21-24 sept 13 and I have to say they were superb value for money. Ok the apartment was a little cramped for the 4 of us (2 sofa beds and 2 single beds) but how the hell can anyone complain when we only paid 77 pounds for 3 nights s/c? The apartment was basic but very clean and had a modern kitchen. The 'balcony' is more Romeo and juliette style than a proper walk-on balcony but I understand rooms are available with proper balcony. The safari is an excellent base for travelling to Barcelona as Calella train station is only a 10-15 minute walk away with excellent train links straight into the placa de catalunya. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, there is a nice little pool which never gets busy, there is also a restaurant which sells a good variety of delicious food from tapas to steak. You as guests of the apartments get 10%of the bill which is really good. We had fantastic weather (26c and sun every day) so we were at the beach 2 days. The beach has weird sand because the grains are bigger than usual, it doesn't stick to you like normal sand which is refreshing if you don't like this feeling! It simply falls off when you stand up, great! The sea was lovely and warm in September but there is quite a severe drop when walking into the sea with quite a lot of small pebbles. This could pose a problem for younger children if the sea is choppy but as it was as calm as a mill pond when we went, this was never an issue. There are volleyball and football pitches on the beach and 2 great beach bars right on the sand, a great place to chill with a cerveza. Although calella new town is really a bit of a 60s concrete jungle (still very clean), the old town with its lovely squares, churches and pretty, narrow alleys is a slice of the real Spain with traditional cafes, tapas bars and tavernas that come to life at night. I would recommend the Safari aparthotel to anyone travelling on a budget, all-in- all a great trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family