“Just back from another lovely holiday.”
Review of H.TOP Olympic

H.TOP Olympic
Ranked #38 of 43 Hotels in Calella
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Just back from another lovely holiday.”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Stayed here for a weeks all inclusive with my 3 daughters. We hadn't been for a couple of years and I think it has actually improved.
On arrival we were greeted by friendly reception staff who remembered us. We were allocated room 318 on the 3rd floor overlooking the seated area next to the main entrance, it was easily accessible via the stairs and had a nice view.
I'd forgotten how small the rooms actually were with four beds in and all your stuff but we managed. It was clean and our towels were replenished daily.
The food was nice, always plenty to choose from, our favourite was the breakfast.
They are still using this card system which is a nuisance but it's clearly saving the hotel money so it's not going to change. I was annoyed one night though, I'd stood for a while in the queue and when I ordered the wrong drink for my daughter by mistake the bar man wouldn't change it even though I apologised and said it was my fault. I had to take the drink, pour it away and get back in the queue which considering I've stayed there at least ten times and they all know me I thought that was absolutely ridiculous!!! Why would they do that? Very poor customer service!
Entertainment on the whole was good and the kids entertainers worked hard.
The pool was always lovely and clean and the groundsman was friendly and pleasant.
There were a couple of schools/football teams during our stay who caused us no problems nor did they offend us in any way.
There were many people moaning and complaining as usual about the hotel but they were generally from the underclasses who hadn't paid for there holidays anyway.
At the right price, this hotel is value for money.
It's a shame so many rough English people go there and spoil it with there bad language and uncivilised behaviour.
Calella is a beautiful place. The locals are friendly and I would recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank debbie7219

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I stayed here with my four year old daughter August 2014 on a half-board basis. My experience was terrible and I would advise against anyone booking a holiday there. It was nothing but stressful. First of all, it's a massive block with seven stories. We were on the 6th floor, waiting for the lift was an ordeal in itself. Always had to wait. The walls are paper thin and the noise every night beyond imagination, not to mention hearing everything that happens next door, including very loud snoring. No kettle in the room, no personal touches.

The food is poor quality, like mass production for hospitals or schools. What shocked me most was that there were no drinks included in the evening meal with half-board...not even water!! There were queues for everything, you had to wait to get into the restaurant or should I say canteen, queues to get the food, they'd often run out of cutlery, food, plates, you name it. It made meal times very stressful. They only had Nescafe, my pet hate, but luckily, I took my own cafetiere. When I asked for some hot water, the waiter told me he'd give it to me for free the first time, but henceforth it would be E. 1.30. Mad!!! And what he gave me was a tiny amount, not nearly enough to fill my cafetiere.

Evening entertainment again poor, apart from one evening, when they put on a Disney character show. Other than that: boring and ridiculous.

No information available at all at reception.

They charge tax, E.3 something when you arrive. They keep your passport at reception for everyone to see, hardly safe.

Overall, I really rubbish hotel experience. I tried to change hotels, but it wasn't possible.

The only positives were that the room got cleaned daily with new towels and the size of the room was good for two persons.

This hotel is NOT fit for families!!

1 Thank pretaholiday

Travellers are raving about these Calella hotels

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

So we stayed at this hotel wb 14th August. Reading the reviews beforehand I was so freaked out and was expecting a rat infested place, that we would have to leave immediately. Well we stayed for a week, from beginning to end incl our packed lunch for the flight, this place was great. Well so I have seen people comment on here about how people had a great holiday at this hotel, well all I have to say to you is check your own attitude. The staff from reception, bar,restaurant, cleaners, security, were all absolutely courteous and treated us with the same respect we gave them, even hugged us on our last day. Rooms cleaned daily, and clean towels, and heck only neeeded to queue twice at bar, so what we are on hols. This hotel had many benefits ie free and discounted water sports if you asked the right questions. So to all you moaners if you want the savoy pay savoy prices and stop thinking you have a great entightlement. Our family had great holiday and made great friends too

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank glynnis
HTOPHotels, Director Comercial at H.TOP Olympic, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear guest,
First of all thanks a lot for choosing our establishment and for your review. Your opinion is very important for us. We are glad to read you did not experience any problem during your stay and that you enjoyed our staff, food and services. Indeed we are not the Savoy or any other luxury hotel and we do not pretend to be them although we work very hard to improve our services. We hope to meet you again in the future and please, let us know if you ever visit us again. We will be glad to greet you in person.
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Where do i start? What a dump of a hotel.Went here for a week,allocation on arrival so we didnt pick this hotel ourselves. First day was monsoon rain,so had to endure the hotel all day and half the next day so just sat in the bar.The card system,well its a joke to be honest.One card each you can only get half a lager at a time so men in particular cant enjoy a pint,take the blue and green cards up in exchange for a glass,you must remember to take your glass back otherwise you wont get a second drink,you take the cards up then they keep a card and at the end of the night,they give you the cards back,a bloody right pain.They do get very irate with you if you forget this,why not just give a band so you can have what you want? Nobody was happy with this. Bar staff in general were nice enough,one though was a right pain,thought he was the boss and kept cocking up orders and blaming the others.Breakfast staff were miserable as sin,every thing was an effort for them,didnt want to be there. Food,if you can call it that was awful beyond words,i will eat most things apart from red meat so i was hopefull that i would manage,bad mistake. Breakfast same everyday,bolied eggs,cheese,toast,lettuce,tomato,bacon,cakes small sausages and sloppy scrambled eggs EVERYDAY! I had bolied eggs to the point i was gagging.My son ate nothing for the week.Same lunch,salad,pasta,potato salad some sort of fish,awful,i had to spit it out and dinner was the same.They just cater for themselves as they all eat in the restaurant.Chips evey meal,snacks the same every day,i only went once.One lady went to leave with the smallest bit of cake in the world and they made her eat it before she left,unbeliveable.Bread was ok. I had horrific heartburn after every meal so had to spend 12 euros on tablets for that.In the end we ate out every meal as i couldnt stomach it and my poor son just eat chips all the time. Everybody was saying the same,didnt want to eat there so went out. Pathetic,our cheap week was not cheap at all,spent 300 euros on food.The best places to eat are alcatraz,gringo joe's and papas bar,the takeaway part,nice cheap kebabs.Also Mr Sandwich which was nice,my son enjoyed that.There is a supermarket on the main rd just off the roundabout which was pretty cheap,we found this the last day so a bit late for us. There is a macdonalds here but its a ripoff,7.05 euros for a burger! Thats daylight robbery. They were all eating happymeals cause they were the cheapest,and thats all the adults! Our room was dated but we had a sort of sea view. Cleaners,dont really know if you could call them that? Our tv was so dust ridden i wrote dust me on it,i bet its still there,so if you stay in this room 617,leave a review to see if they did dust it. The beach is a nice beach,toilets and beach bars,so you would be ok there. The old part of the town is nice as well,better than the kebabs shops and club stip part.
I would say this,dont listen to people who say get a grip and stop moaning,IT IS THIS BAD! if they are happy with sloppy seconds fine, but most people want decent food and drinks.
Also there is no way disabled poeple could get to the pool,its all steps,one lady had a go but it was a stuggle for her.
Overall i wish now i had spend more and had a lovely hotel as the best part of ours was waiting for the bus to take us to the airport,i would not go back even if someone paid me.
This is an honest review,and i would avoid it and spend a little more for a lovely holiday somewhere nice,its just not worth the risk.
Poeple dont want to moan about their well earned cash being chucked down the loo,but if you book here that is what you will be doing so ignore this at your peril.

Room Tip: Just dont go here,book another hotel with nice rooms,service and food.
1 Thank misskiss080
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

After reading the reviews I arrived at this hotel with my partner not expecting anything great but with an open mind. This was a cheap lady min break for us.
The hotel is in need of an update but importantly it is clean. The rooms are very small and the double bed is just 2 beds pushed together. Bathroom had clean towels every day and was cleaned daily.
The pool there are 2 very small at the front and a larger one at the back we went once choosing to spend our time on the beach instead, but the one time we went we got there for ten and managed to get a sun bed.
The food was what spoiles this hotel I am not a fussy eater and will eat most things but the food was dreadful. No way could I eat here 3 times a day for 2 weeks if it was my main holiday. The salad and rice was ok but the meat was not edible and everything else just resembled slop. The chicken nuggets and chips were the only thing I trusted to eat and they were always cold. Breakfast wasn't too bad I managed to make some cheese on toast and the fruit was nice. What I did like was the little picnics that they make for you if your going on a trip order it the day before and you can take a picnic with you this was a nice extra.
The drinks system wasn't the best I can understand the 1 drink per person rule but the drinks are so small that you hardly get a drink and end up back at the bar within 5 minutes the question weren't that bad but I think we went at a quieter time choosing not to stay for the evening entertainment.

There are a lot of foreign teenagers on holiday here but to be honest we didn't find them a problem a little noisy at night but calella isn't a bustling town fill of nightclubs so it wasn't too bad.

The best thing about our trip was the blue beach bar which is associated with the h top hotels it's a beach bar that does snacks, sun loungers and food all discounted (apart from the food) what a difference the staff are all lovely nothing is too much trouble and the evening entertainment was lovely. We ended up here every night and even ended up getting engaged on the beach just next to the bar.

All in all as a base this hotel is fine it's in a good location and is clean but don't waste your money on all inclusive calella is relatively cheap to eat and drink anyway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back not the front it's a lot quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julieanne C
Dear guest,
First of all thanks a lot for choosing our establishment and for your review. Your opinion is very important for us. We work very hard to improve our services every day. However we are sorry you did not enjoy our food. Some of the people who reviewed us claim they enjoyed our meals. Maybe you should have to speak with our head waiter if the food was not on the expected temperature or just to make sure what exactly you were eating. We would love to meet you again in the future and please, let us know if you ever visit us again. We will be glad to greet you in person.
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Amazing rooms cleaned every day new towels lovely pool rooms a bit cramped but other than that an amazing holiday the food was good with a nice variety although it can bcome a bit samey at lunch and breakfast however dinner changes everynight

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Lala88888888
Dear guest,
First of all thanks a lot for choosing our establishment and for your review. Your opinion is very important for us. We try our best and work very hard to improve our services every day. We are glad to read you did not experience any problem during your stay and that you enjoyed our services. We hope to meet you again in the future and please, let us know if you ever visit us again. We will be glad to greet you in person.
Wallasey
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Yes the furniture is dated and the rooms are very small for a family. But everything else is very good for the price.
There were lots of German students, but they slept all day and went into town at night
We are all fussy eaters but found something every meal time
Hotel staff are all very helpful and the rooms are kept very clean, as are all public areas of the hotel.
The kids joined in the morning activities by the big pool. But beware there are lots of machines in the bar that have the kids constantly asking for a euro of an evening.
Drinks system not an issue
Ten mins walk to all the tourist shops and beach, also McDonald's.
About 15 mins to a park
Definitely worth the money. But if you want four star then pay up

4 Thank Sashav69
Dear guest,
First of all thanks a lot for choosing our establishment and for your review. Your opinion is very important for us. We try our best and work very hard to improve our services every day. We are glad to read you did not experience any problem during your stay and that you enjoyed our food and services. We hope to meet you again in the future and please, let us know if you ever visit us again. We will be glad to greet you in person.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calella
H.TOP Calella Palace
#14 of 19 in Malgrat de Mar
H.TOP Palm Beach & SPA
H.TOP Palm Beach & SPA
#71 of 125 in Lloret de Mar

Been to H.TOP Olympic? Share your experiences!