“damp september holiday at mar blau”
Review of Hotel Mar Blau

Hotel Mar Blau
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Calella
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Weather was rubbish when we stayed here, not a lot to do on wet days, some english tv channels, rooms cleaned daily by friendly maid, beds very comfortable, buffet breakfast and dinner with plenty of choice but did mainly cater for everybody else except english, our group of 8 were pretty much the only english at the hotel, never a problem getting a sun bed, not sure what this would be like in high season, pool was freezing, sea was wild but warm, nice clean beach, would recommend this hotel for a cheap break

Room Tip: High floor overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank juliegoddard

Reviewed 23 August 2013

The hotel is excellent! It has all the facilities for a young couple, with swimming pool, Jacuzzi at the top of the hotel, sauna etc. The food is amazing and with a various meals. Is is 10 min from the beautiful beach of Calella. But I don't recommend for families, because the hotel is full of group of young people of Germany and UK.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anastasija2607
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The hotel is situated towards the rear of the town about a 10 minute stroll down to the Old Town and the same to the beach. A good location despite all the 'club 18-30' type groups all around = noise into the small hours! Not great surroundings but the hotel itself is difficult to fault, it is very clean and I'm incredibly fussy! The housekeeping do a great job.
The rooms are very average with the usual bathroom, which was quite small, tv, aircon, wardrobe, table etc. but no fridge (extra euros) and internet is extra.
The restaurant is the usual noisy buffet dining room experience, gets a little noisy and crazy but the food is plentiful and varied. My one little moan was that being a vegetarian I found it rather annoying that even most of the salads contained meat :-( But that aside the food was tasty and there are lots of choices. The staff in the restaurant work tirelessly and always have a smile, maybe the Restaurant Manager could do a little more of that too!!
The bar was reasonably priced, not conventional Mediterranean measures I'm afraid though :-( but the bar staff are super speedy and attentive.
The entertainment in the evening was actually quite good! A little cheesy a few nights but good for a laugh if you don't take it too seriously! The kids get lots of attention from 3 rather lively staff with activities day and night. The dance routine to Shakira's Waka Waka Africa song seemed to be a favourite!!
We didn't sit around or use the pool, too many screaming kids/adults; we prefer the beach and to get out and about. I guess with the pool being crowded frequently that its a little on the small side but that seems normal in this resort.
The hotel is thankfully a mixture of all nationalities, no groups of rowdy youths and definitely a family destination. There does seem to be a leaning to the Russian visitor both in this hotel and the resort. I'm not a fan of any nationality having the upper hand other than the nationality of the land I'm in; otherwise why bother going abroad.
Overall I would recommend this hotel, I wouldn't return but I've never been anywhere twice!
I didn't particularly like the resort of Calella itself, it has very little character. Even the Old town has little charm remaining after having been taken over by the tourist shops/bars. Shame. But on the upside its easy to nip off on a train to Barcelona or a resort down the coast.

Room Tip: You'll get a better night's sleep away from the pool! There are no real sea views; it can be...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fay P
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed here end of July with my partner and my 2 youngest children, my first impressions on entering hotel was quite good but on entering our room i was exrememly unimpressed with how tiny it was, and an oversight on my behalf that I thought we would automatically be given an adjoining room considering my son and daughter are aged 10 and 8 but NO! A tiny bathroom to the left a double bed squashed up next to the wardrobe and a foot away on other side bunk beds!The only saving grace was thebalcony pool view and so I went straight to reception and asked to be moved, I was told there were none available and if one became available it would cost an extra 12 euros per night.
Later that evening a room became available ground floor back of hotel and facing the street. This was the noisiest part of the hotel, drunks and opposite hotel guests were so loud. Thankfully it never woke my kids up, a suggestion would be drink alot to ensure you dont get woken up!
The worst part of the holiday was the fact that we were one of the only British families there, nearly the entire guests there were German, there were some French and other countries but predominanttly German, we have no problem with people from other countries but they obviously had a problem with the British! Soooo rude and arrogant and as soon as they hear your speaking English they just stared at you especially in the restaurant. One German woman even tapped me on the shoulder because my chair was too far out and said to me 'shoo shoo' I reminded her of her manners by accentuating 'please' about 3 times, I was not impressed and her daughter and husband continued to glare at us throughout our meal which we were were fuming about by the end of our meal as we would never put up with such behaviour from people back in England. The food was bizarre and had very mixed and strange combinations, and only great if you are a lover of pork which is served up every breakfast lunch and dinner! I have given a 2 rating only because of 1 the receptioniosts and the cleaners were so friendly and the rooms kept clean and tidy every day. Also not too far from the beach, but unfortunately it wasn't sand but gravelly and hurt your feet! We will not be visiting The Costa Brava again, next year Majorca which is so much nicer and prettier.

Room Tip: Stay at The hotel Volga
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank AngelCake54321
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Spent five nights here in July 2013. Initial impressions were good - the hotel looked clean, tidy and well maintained on the outside. Check in was quick and efficient.

Room quite small with 2 single beds and a wall mounted TV - single English language channel being BBC World News.

Bathroom with shower over bath again quite small - door hitting toilet bowl on opening. Dispenser over bath for shower gel and shampoo was useful.

Air conditioning (and power to the room) was switched on by inserting room card in to reader by the door. Unfortunately my Starbucks card did not cheat the system and allow the AC to remain running when I was out the room - a shame as the AC wasn't particularly efficient in cooling the room :(

I was quite pleased to find that my room had a pool view. This pleasure left me by 4am the following morning when the Tapas bar across the road was still going strong. The double glazed doors to the balcony were completely ineffectual in blocking out noise - there was no difference if they were open or closed. A trip to a pharmacy the following day for a set of ear plugs improved things.

Breakfast was good. I found dinner a bit "meh" on a couple of nights and left without eating on one of them, deciding to eat in the town instead. A picnic lunch one day when I had to go in to France was very unimaginative with a pre-packed cheese and ham sandwich, an orange and a small bottle of water.

And they nickel and dime you for everything - Wifi was available for € (after 1 hour free daily in reception), in room fridge was available for €, in room safe was available for €, health centre was available for €, all drinks at dinner were available for €

So, sorry it's not 4 green dots. It's nearer 4 than 3 but not worth a "Very Good" rating overall.

Room Tip: Unless you're a heavy sleeper avoid rooms with a pool view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank shauney
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

Maybe an unlucky day, but er had to reactivate the room keycards twice during a 15 hour stay, plus they gave the room to someone else while we were still in bed... Pay attention to early breakfast and checkout.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We stayed here for 9 nights and returned to the uk today. It's just a ten minute walk to the beach and old town and has a lovely pool area. The rooms are clean and the staff very friendly. I would recommend staying here; we booked for bed and breakfast and there was lots of choice at breakfast! Lovely seating area and there's a great fresh omelette chef! Aqua aerobics every morning and I don't have kids but if I did I would definitely feel happy bringing them here. The entertainment is great without being overbearing; it's based around the kids but the staff were fantastic. What was also nice to see was a lifeguard at the pool every day. As a guest, you get 5% off drinks at the bar and lunch/ evening meal at a discount if you wish to eat there. Highly recommend it here!!

• Stayed: July 2013