“basic hotel”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Continental
Ranked #35 of 43 Hotels in Calella
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Just got back after a short break. I didn't book this hotel in particular it was given to us as part of the booking system with low cost holidays. Its located close to a main shopping street and close to beach and train station.
Me and my wife got to the hotel at about 9.45pm and on arrival i cheerily said Hola! and explained we had a room booked. The bloke behind the desk raised his eyebrows, i'm not sure as if he was surprised that we had booked or that it was a "And you think I care??" look.
Well he shuffled about for a minute before handing us a 4 euro tourist tax bill. I had no idea about this and if I had a family of six staying for two weeks it would have been a lot more than 4 euros.
The bloke then started looking around,gave another bloke a shout, they both looked around. It became quite obvious they had lost the room key!
Now I wasn't too worried but it would have been nice for them to explain, ask us to take a seat, offer us a coffee maybe. I get the feeling that he could speak some English but couldn't be bothered to. I can only talk the very very basics in Spanish but I would have tried.He also took our passports and wouldn't give them back. He just said "Tomorrow" (see I said he could speak some English). Now the lady receptionist who was on the next day was very pleasant.
Eventually we got a key and was greeted by a very basic room with two single beds pushed together. ps. the matresses are made of concrete I think.
I'm fine with basic but a kettle and some coffee/milk would have been nice. Also no tv. I know its Spanish but its good to have something on in the background while your getting ready to go out. The bathroom was tiny with no ventilation. Just a shower, sink and a toilet that leaked. We had to put a towel on the floor to soak the water up. I would have said something but I didn't want to get blamed for it and I get the feeling that they probably knew anyway.
On the plus side the room was cleaned daily with fresh linen and towels. Our balcony had a bit of a view of the top of hotel/pool but also some hills in the distance. The rooms below us upto level 5 were stuck in darkness as the balconies were in between two sides of the hotel so no scenery at all.
Breakfast from 8.30 - 9.30am, cereals, coffee, juices, selection of meats and cheese. Evening meal you are given a time slot. Ours was 8.15 - 8.30pm! 15 min to get your food and leave. No coffee, all I saw was water. Food was ok, selection of meats/veggies, pasta and fish. Deserts were rubbish...apples, plum, pears. None which were ripe. On our last day there we saw a woman with a load of kids getting into bother as she'd overstayed her 15 min slot. I don't think she'd actually realised but I think she'd struggle to get all the kids fed and watered in 15 min.
The rest of the staff we met were very nice. The bloke behind the bar was also the DJ playing some pretty bad 70's and 80's music mixes but hey we weren't there to sit in the hotel bar!!
While we were there it was pretty quiet, the most noise coming from the lift. I think there's only one lift in the hotel and it seemed to be in full flow everytime we wanted to go up...and we were on the top floor (6).
So my overall view....if you don't care about basics, leaking toilets and receptionists with poor attitude then this hotel is for you. Personally I'll be going back to one of the H.Top playa hotels or similar and giving the Continental a miss.

Room Tip: Your probably better off on the top floor if you want any kind of view/sunlight but in general forge...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank guy m

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Hi just returned 28th august2013, please stay well clear of this hotel, food awful, mould in dinning room on ceiling not clean properly, very bad smell coming for bathroom , no tv on room mould on walls , stair wells blocked with spare beds , god help us if there was a fire at this hotel, took loads of picture to prove this room only sweep once in a week, the owners just don't no how to run a hotel , very rude staff could not give a monkey, please please keep well clear , I would not even put my dog in that hotel

Room Tip: Sorry but there are not room suitable for a human
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Stephen T
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I read the previous reviews for this hotel after booking so was expecting it to be a horrific experience staying there. The hotel is basic but is very clean, rooms and towels changed daily so that was fine. Again food was basic but you could always find something that was okay to eat. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful unlike some previous reviwers have written.

The pool was fine, small but hardly used by most people staying so always available and plenty of room; there was 11 of us in our party and we managed fine. You are not allowed to take your own drinks to the pool but as there is a pool bar selling drinks at reasonable prices this was not unreasonable.

The hotel was not located at the English part of Calella but we actually preferred this and was ideally situated for shops, beach and train station so we were able to hop on a train to Barcelona very easily.

The downside to this hotel is there is no Air conditioning in the rooms or ceiling fans so it was hot at times, but then it is only a 2 star so this was not unexpected but would be worth paying a little more to get this. The hotel cater for school trips, groups of young teenagers mainly German and French and they can make a lot of noise and this seems to be relatively unchecked by the teachers and staff that accompany them and it was sometimes difficult to sleep.

AND WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT LET THE STAFF PUT YOU IN ROOM 106, this room amounts to little more than a cell, and whilst it has patio doors that lead to a terrace there is actually no access to the outside air, the terrace is at the bottom of a long ENCLOSED chimney type structure, truly an awful place to stay. In fairness to the hotel after our first night they did move us to a better room without complaint. I think it is the room that they use when the whole hotel is full but it is not nice and budget or not is not acceptable accomodation.

However, despite the above, our stay was fine, the hotel is cheap and you get what you pay for. The staff were helpful and friendly especially the people in the dining room. The school groups and lack of AC were the biggest inconveniences but there were positive too.

Room Tip: request that you are not put in room 106.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank DebbieSteyning
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stayed here on September 2012 for 1 week. 3 of the 4 of us had already been to Calella in June for a girlie trip and decided to go back. I made the fatal mistake of believing my mother (aged 72) who said it was the same hotel when booking online. We went blissfully unaware that we had in fact booked the wrong hotel in a part of the resort we had never been to. The coach dropped us off in the middle of a location we did not know. We walked for ages then found the station, got into a taxi and gave the name of the hotel. It pulled up outside this hotel down a side street...our other was facing the beach!!! I showed our documents to find out we were indeeed booked in. We were all horrified. Went to the desk to check in. Met by a nice chap who spoke good English. Gave us our keys and said they had food for us. The room was a good size but dated. We had no balcony but had a terrace of sorts. No view.
The following day we found we were in the opposite end of the resort so it was like being on a different holiday to a new resort. The hotel was basic but OK for a week away to spend on the beach. Food was better than we were expecting. Breakfast was the same each day which got a bit monotonous. The location was actually pretty good. Right near shops, a 5 min walk to the beach. The sunbeds were cheaper than the other end!! Lots of places to eat. On the whole the holiday was much better than we thought on arrival. I would stay here if I came back for a few days but not sure if I would for a week and definately not for 2 weeks.
If it had a lick of paint and updated furnishings it would be much better. The staff are lovely. The hotel was clean.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Judy H
Reviewed 5 September 2012

hi just returned with my wife from a ten day stay at continental after reading reports on here i thought go there with a even mind . well all i can say in my opinion is that those people who wrote such damming reports are most probably the sort who excpect every thing for nothing , an arriving we had a 2 hour wait for our room annoying but then you are in spanish spain ! spoke to tomas on reception who was very helpfull (spoke good english no hand sighns needed as so many BRITS made out ) he showed us where to leave our stuff and kept an eye on it . we were given our room key 3rd floor no problem used lift found room , room was clean well looked after (basic ) but ur not paying mega bucks , we showered changed returned down stairs had coffee . barmaid was very very helpful , meal times were ok must say though food was dog rough i mean rough lol but we used it as a last resort , pool was clean , well maintained , drinks cheapish view ok .the only down nside (if you can call it that )was that ur located in the old town wich was good for the first few days beach about 5 min walk from hotel , the english part off town is about 15 min walk through main street ,, good for looking for presents , bars tobbaconists resturants , on hitting the blackpool side ur greeted by a vast array off bars resturants clubs shops , we tried a few bars and discovered GRINGO JOES , staff were friendly ( owner kenny , barman rich and his wife ) food was excellant cooked by brit chef paul they made our holiday , so overall i think like i say you get what you pay for so iff you want harrods dont go to primark

Room Tip: double room
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank David B
Reviewed 3 September 2011

My husband and i have just returned from from staying in this hotel ,i was really worried after reading the reviews for a 2 star i thought it was good dont know what all the fuss was about.My only complaint was no air con in the rooms pool was abit small but ok could be noisy some nights but then you are on holiday!!On the plus side rooms were cleaned everyday and got given clean towels bar staff were very friendly .its agood base for town and night clubs and getting train to Barcelona i think we would go back again good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank claire f
Reviewed 5 March 2011

the whole experience in the continental was a living nightmare. we too were dropped off at night 5 mins away from the hotel. they had had floods in calella the previous week and the road was broken up., the big man on reception speaks no english and his white tee shirt was grey. he gestured to us as best he could, we wondered where we had come to. the lift was tiny and only 2 people could use it at a time. there were old matresses and a beadstead on a drop landing. as well as black bags left lying around full of rubbish. the room was tiny , bed frame rusty, bath dirty. we spent the first nigght covering the silver fish with lids off our toiletries. very hot, no air con. the food was appalling and very much like eating in a factory centeen. you could not take drinks into the dining room !!??? there was a storm one evening and we watched the electrics spark on the table lamps. on investigating the wiring we saw there were several very poor joins and insulating tape on the wire. i discreetly unplugged them as i thought we would be electrocuted. we went every day to the rep to get us out of there. we also spent every morning in a internet cafe trying to book somewhere else. i also had my at home doing the same for us, to no avail. the rep had never been to the continental. i suggested she came and looked. i did show her our pictures of the state of the rooms, it had no effect. the hotel was full of young noisy people who kept banging on other guest doors at night. i ried to complain when we were there and when we got home , noone wanted to help.
on the positive side we loved calella and went back in the september and stayed in the amaika at the other end of the resort, low and behold this is where the rep stayed. no wonder it was fantastic, and furnished like the inside of the titanic . book the continental at your peril.you have been warned

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family