“beware of thieves”

Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Cambrils
Swansea, United Kingdom
“beware of thieves”
Reviewed 9 August 2012

went to this very nice hotel with my wife,daughter and 3 grand children,when we arrive were dropped off on the main road and had to cope with all the bags and kids accross a very busy road however we survived !! our room was more than we anticipated very spacious with 2 queen size beds,if you want to say goodnight to your better half in these best to text as they were that big.We had a room over the spar and pool with a very long balcony plenty of room for kids to play soccer ( not ours ) the dividing walls are very low and quite often kids would climb over to retrieve their ball,still its a holiday right The location was great with many shops and several supermarkets,if you like to use busses there is a bus agent accrooss the road from the hotel where you can by passes which is a lot cheaper than paying on the bus.the nearest tobacas is a good 25 minute wakk and there is nowhere to change mone so i suggest this is done at the hotel.The pool is a good size with 2 guards in attendance so its quite safe ,one word of warning inflatables are banned except for kiddie one,they sell airbeds rings etc in the hotel shop but dont advise of the ban !!! A good night out is to go into salou to see the water fountains,fantastic.While we were there we would go to a late lungh one day our grand daughter left her very expensive camera on the back of the chair in the restaurant,we were near the kitchen and it unlikely given the time that any guest would have seen it! the jury is still out on this theft !! my wife also had an expensive body product taken from the ,a couple of others suffered the same fate so be on guard.We couldnt fault the food plenty of choice and quite good quality,at times it could be on the cool side but there is a ting for reheating. Would we go back most certainly GGraham and Rhian Swansea Wales

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank munchkin01792

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Just back from a week at Best Cambils (from Sat 28th July). We have two children aged 10 and 6 and they both loved the hotel and the location, midway between the lively Salou and the quieter (but better in my view) fishing port of Cambils.
The beach is literally just over the road down a 20-30 metre path between some apartments, so no long walks required carrying a lot of towels, sun shades etc. The beach was really clean and not overcrowded.
We all thought the hotel was excellent (good food, amenities, room service, entertainment for the kids etc). Most of the staff were really friendly with the exception of the reception staff who on the couple of occasions I needed to ask for something kept ignoring non spanish guests in favour of dealing with spanish guests first. Another British guest told me they experienced the same thing.
That said, the fridge in the room was useful as were the various settings on the air conditioning (I've stayed in hotels previously where the settings were 'on or off').
Someone else has mentioned the T10 card you can get from the bus ticket shop just across the road outside the hotel. This was great and saved us a fair bit of money as bus prices doubled later in the evening if you didn't have one of these cards (which buys 10 journeys for about 10 euros).
Cambrils is a lovely place to take young children (which has a nice road train which we enjoyed) and Salou is fine but on the lively side. We also booked a trip to Barcelona and a trip to the waterpark (Aquopolis)at the other side of Salou. Total cost for both was only around £160-& £170 (booked via the Thompson rep). Both trips were excellent.
The rep lent us a sun shade to use at the beach which was very useful (she has a collection of a few things folk haven't been able to take back in luggage). Also, as we had a few drinks of San Miguel, one of the waiters gave us a gift of a cooler bag on the last evening which was a nice touch.
This is a part of Spain where Spanish people go to on holiday (rather than the south coast) so it is useful to at least have a go at using a few spanish words and phrases.
Overall, this was an excellent holiday. I prefer to try different places each year but the kids are already badgering me to book another week or two at this hotel next year.

6 Thank Michael_B186364
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed for 1 week from the 29th of July 2012 with our 7 year old daughter. After reading some of the reviews, was a bit apprehensive! On arrival our check in was very slick, literally took only 2 minutes. We went up to our room to unpack. To my daughters delight there were 2 big double beds and the room would certainly have been big enough for 2 adults and 2 children. Plenty storage space, unless you are taking ridiculas amounts of stuff! I had requested a high floor room with a pool / sea view and was delighted that this was exactly what I got 3rd floor with a view of both!! Others have said the lifts are noisy but our room was located right next to the lifts and we never heard any noise from them - the only issue with the lifts was that they were often out of order.

The food was excellent and catered to all nationalities. If there wad not anything on the hot plates you fancied then you could ask the chef on the grill area to cook you steaks, pork, fish, chicken, nurgers, hot dogs etc. There was also a pasta and stir fry station on a daily basis. The fruit and salads were amazing as was the salmon I had one night. They often had prawns too and these were delicious! Our 7 year old always managed to find something to eat, albeit she often opted for a hot dog or fish and salad but that's fine! Unless your children are extremely fussy eaters I can't see that they wouldn't find plenty to eat, as because I have said they provide burgers hot dogs and chips on a daily basis. As others have said you are in Spain, not the UK.

I found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. They definitely appreciated you making an effort to ask for drinks in spanish etc, although they all speak English well.

The entertainment is fine. Sometimes a bit cheesy but my daughter enjoyed the kids club and mini disco. My only issue was when she went to the club to get her face painted and when I collected her 2 hours later she.told me that only the Spanish kids had their facepainted whilst the British children just got to watch the Disney channel!!

Location wad excellent for us as didn't want to be in the centre of salou as had no intention going to clubs and pubs with.a young child. Both salou and cambrils are easily walkable and a pleasant walk along the beach with your feet in the water. Our 6 year old managed the walk several times no problem. Bus service also very good. As others have said get the t10 card from the shop across the road.

Pool was lovely and very clean. Nice jacuzzi also. Snacks and drinks at the pool bar were great as we were AI.

Rooms very cleaned everyday and fresh towels daily if required.

Beach lovely and well facilitated. Kept getting stung in the water so.be careful!

Great hotel. Excellent value for money. Would go back in a second. Listen to the good reviews and take the bad ones with a pinch of salt!! Am so glad we opted for this hotel and not one in Espouse itself!!

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank gillian1986
Reviewed 31 July 2012 via mobile

The room was lovely and spacious, we had one of the long balconies that looked over the pool, this was really nice. There are complimentary drinks in the fridge for your arrival too. The pool is lovely and a good size although inflatables are not allowed. My stepson ate well every night as did we, yes there were some things we would not eat but they do have to cater for all nationalities not just Brits! The maids cleaned the rooms each day and they always looked nice. Entertainment was ok but a lot was in Spanish, however my stepson still loved dancing and watching the different shows that were on and going to the kids club. All in all was a fab stay and definitely don't think this hotel deserves the bad press some people are giving it! Best is the hotel chain name and cambrill is because it was originally the princess cambrill, maybe people should research first before trying to put it down because of its name.......

• Stayed July 2012
7 Thank Ilovemyhubbydoos
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We stayed at the best cambrils for 2 weeks, me, my fiancé, my daughter and her friend. The whole experience was overall very good! The friendly bar staff made us feel very comfortable around tge place from the first day. Rooms are clean large enough for a family of 4, showers good with a large bathroom and our room had a very large balcony! The fridge in the room not that great tho although only used for aftersun, kids sweets and some water . In the restaurant breakfast were more than adequate, evening meals could do with more selection on the main courses though. They have a special grill area where u can get omelettes,steak,pork,fish cooked. The best thing we liked was the pancakes which were made by Sana! Best pancakes ever and kids loved them! Entertainment was plentiful for the kids as was the evening time fun, all be it some of it was a bit cheesy! All in all we will be going back here! The beaches also deserve a mention! First class! Salou we miss u and will b back soon!!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Dodds99
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Just returned home from a 2 week holiday with 2 young children. On arrival we got dropped on the opposite side of the road to the hotel which was a pain with 4 cases , 2 hand luggage and a push chair and two small children. Checkin was speedy and efficient and we was pleasantly surprised that we where not asked to leave our passports. Room was clean on arrival but lack of storage meant my husband had to live out of his suitcase for the 2 weeks. My husband smashed a glass of wine on the balcony but this was never swept or mopped by the cleaners the whole time we was their. needless to say we didnt leave it. Our room overlooked the main road directly above the childrens play area which did cause us a problem. The playground states it will close at 10pm but never did, and we had to call reception one evening as we could not here ourselves think let alone speak. Reception assured us this would be dealt with- but never was but luckily for us we didnt return to our room early for the rest of the holiday. No light on any of the balconies so no reading with a glass of wine after a hard day at the pool so this was a pain. We booked halfboard and I'm pleased to say I'm glad we did choice this option as we also ate out and didn't feel restricted to the hotel. The food in the hotel is very good,except the Spanish theme night. It was horrid!!! nothing for any of us to eat, but can honestly say this was not usually the case. I did feel that a few improvements could be made to the main restaurant. On our first evening I asked if we could use the same table for our meals instead of roaming round looking with 2 children, but was told no. So every morning & night we struggled to find a clean or empty table and this happened everyday!! I also expected that any drinks we had during our meal would be put onto out room for us to pay during or at the end of our holiday. After a couple of days the restaurant manager got quite rude demanding we pay straight away- needless to say rather embarrassing and very unprofessional. When I questioned the reception staff about this they told me that the restaurant is managed separately to the hotel and have no say in the matter.The pool area is good but as previously mentioned stones around the pool area do hurt your feet and this does cause a problem for little ones. Plenty of sunbeds and you can get parasols if you pay a deposit of 3 Euros. The sunbeds did get reserved quite early so when I asked about the ruling on this reception just fobbed my off, so we also decided to reserve beds prior to going for breakfast.The animation team and entertainment are not the best but they did seem to try will all nationalities not just the Spanish. The beach is just across the road and lovely and clean with toilets, sunbeds to hire 3-5 eur, beach bars- expensive though and prices increase even more come night.Supermarkets are cheap for buying drinks to take to the beach, but don't use the one opp the hotel. the one down the road opp the mucky duck bar is the best. We also had a great breakfast a couple of times at the mucky duck, if you fancy a change. The italian restaurant just down the road was very average and portions not big enough. Yet my parents also ate here one evening and had a lovely meal. We also went to Port Aventura and this was worth the money although very tiring. We booked prior to our holiday and this cost £150 for a 3 day package, which is cheaper than with the reps. We went on the 1st day during the day and it was too hot!! so we opted to go on an evening for our 2nd trip which was much better and had very little waiting to get on the rides. The waterpark was also part of our package and this is quiet small but we still had a great family day. The buses are a great way to get out and about and we used them a lot, get a block ticket for 10 e for 10 trips. The markets are ok we went to the Cambrills market which is held in the old town, but due to the heat would of preferred a night market. On the downside to our holiday, be aware that there are jellyfish in the sea,my son was stung by one a couple of days ago. We also had my husbands mobile phone stolen from our table buy a young lad pretending to be deaf & dumb. He placed his A4 note over the phone and then picked the phone up with his note. My parents stayed in the Best Maritim and hated it which was just down the road and spent most of the time with us at our hotel, so if anybody is thinking of staying at the maritim , think again. Hope this helps.but if I go again I will stay in Cambrills itself, near the port.

Room Tip: Due to the age of this hotel, all sides of the hotel have issues. On the back you have the trains, o...
3 Thank julie n
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Weve had a fantastic 2 weeks here with our 3 children. Both our rooms were facing the train track and we had no problems sleeping during the night, in fact it'd probably be quieter this side due to the entertainment and road traffic at night. Were really enjoyed the food including salads and themed nights and the stir fries were popular. If I wanted to eat English food I'd have taken a holiday in England.

Best Cambrills certainly had its fair share of Russians and their dress sense proved to be very entertaining . I didn't incur any problems although they do like to be first in the queues and on the bus. The entertainment on offer wasn't really for me and the mini disco didn't appeal to my boys and we spent our nights walking off the food we eat going to Salou or Cambrills.

There's a bus stop outside the hotel and I would recommend getting a 10 ticket card from the bus people for only 10.70 euros and you can use it for Port Aventura, Tarragona, Reus, Salou. It's the cheapest form of transport and we used it to it's maximum.

There were plenty of sunbeds but the parasols were limited and we ended up using our own at one point. The pool is quite large and very clean.

Beware of the fake football strips on offer in the "Sports shops". You'd be safer and cheaper buying them in the UK.

We would go back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: corner rooms have large L shaped balconies.
2 Thank Fiona S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambrils
Hotel Best Maritim
Monica Hotel
Monica Hotel
#2 of 33 in Cambrils
H10 Mediterranean Village

Been to Hotel Best Cambrils? Share your experiences!