“Not the best Cambrils”

Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Cambrils
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Not the best Cambrils”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have just returned from a weeks holiday. We had an early flight so arrived at the hotel around 10am which was well before check-in which is anytime after 12pm, we were tired and had a 2 hour wait before we were supplied with our all inclusive wristbands, the drinks machines hadn't been turned on so we were left waiting in the lobby. When we got our keys I was relieved that we had a pool view which was very nice however the rooms lacked attention, no mirror in room aside from the bathroom which is useless because its steamed up after showering, reception told me all rooms were the same, curtains missing pegs, looked shabby hanging, only given one chair on balcony even though they were 3 in my party, when asked we were given 1 more. Sheets didn't fit beds very well too small. The shower was very good and powerful but I don't know what good the bath would have been as it was tiny perhaps for young children. The maids very pleasant and worked hard everyday but tidied rather than cleaned, towels were changed on request if left in the bath but I have to say towels looked on the grubby side. The pool was cleaned well daily but the sun beds were very old and grotty, you have to pay 2euros for a parasol which is refundable at the end of the day with receipt, these to could do with replacing. We bought a Lilo for our daughter from a shop attached to the hotel and we're told she couldn't use it even though other children had different floaty pool toys, their were no signs informing lilo's were not allowed. Pool side bar staff are very busy so you could find yourself waiting a while before being served and even on an all inclusive package some drinks and ice creams are an extra charge. The food in the restaurant was good, a wide range for adults and children, the show cooking looks great but be aware I wasn't always convinced that the meat was cooked. Some lovely stir fry dishes and freshly made pancakes for breakfast. The thing that let the restaurant down was the continuously dirty plates which we had to search for a clean one, on positive note the staff were polite and work extremely hard. We enjoyed our holiday as the hotel is in a quiet and convenient location with a bus stop right outside the front great for trips along the coast and excursions also the Plana coach company is opposite the hotel, they are extremely helpful with bus times etc, would recommend you seek them out if your planning a trip as we feel they were better value. Lovely beach with golden soft sand a few minutes walk away. We enjoyed some lovely evening walks along the coast. Overall this hotel is far from 4star.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 10032002caroline
BestHotels2014, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Best Cambrils, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Caroline, Many thanks for leaving your review, your opinion is highly appreciated and valued. We are always pleased to read what our guests think, as it really does help with our commitment to continually review and improve the service we provide. We aim to ensure all our guests receive a highest level of customer service and I am dissapointed you felt that this was not your case. Please accept our apologies; we do hope you would consider returning to the Best Cambrils again in the future. Best Regards, Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Where to begin. When we arrived at the hotel we were expecting poolside rooms as was booked through our travel agents. The hotel demanded an extra 320 euros for this when we arrived on top of what we had already paid. Fair enough I guess they are in demand rooms. But nevertheless the rooms we got were pretty shoddy. My room (473) had a MASSIVE mould patch on the ceiling next to the door. Not ideal as I was sharing with my brother who has asthma. Also we had lots of bugs in our bathroom. Not exactly worth the extra money eh? I have photos to prove all this by the way. But anyway, the cirque de soleil was in portaventura so we booked tickets for the tuesday for 4 of us to go through the hotel which was 340 euros. So at dinner time on the monday we had dinner in the hotel. Then for the next 2 days we all the had the worst food poisoning we have ever encountered. There was even a shortage of staff that were clearly off sick. We even saw 3 guests vomit in the bathroom at reception as well as a pile of vomit outside the bathroom. Needless to say we didnt get to go to portaventura. The reception staff were disgraceful in dealing with our complaint about this. To be fair (apart from 1 nice lady) every single person we spoke to who worked at the reception had an attitude problem and were stuck up, useless human beings. Seriously. One woman actually told me and I quote "what do you expect us to do about you being sick, you are only the 11th person to complain about this I mean really out of the all the guests its not that much." I was livid. The hotel refused to give us the money back for the circus tickets even though it was THEIR fault we missed the show. It was absolutely disgraceful. I only ever ate salad and pasta the rest of my stay in the hotel for fear of more poisoning. I tried to complain to the hotel manager 5 times but kept getting told he wasn't in the hotel and nobody knew when he would be there. I ended up giving up. So basically a complaint was never filed because of course there was no one to complain to (as we were told by the staff we had to speak to the hotel manager) and we were after all only the 11th person to complain. Disgraceful. Im so angry just thinking about it. It ruined our whole holiday not to mention we where already almost 700 euros down and we had only been there a 5 days! A few of the bar staff were total idiots, took forever to get served and kept mixing up drinks etc. To be fair though there was 2 bar waitors who were brilliant and such nice people. The waiting staff in the dining hall were all lovely as were the chefs. The cleaners were great aswell. Apart from obviously the bugs and the mould they cleaned our rooms really well and were very pleasant. The pool was always clean. The entertainment they put on at night was usually pretty good. Some of the acts they had were sensational. There was also a clown called Xavi who worked every night for the kids mini disco who was amazing. He was a lovely man and a brilliant clown. He was so good with the kids I even sent him a message on facebook telling him how great he was. So there were extremely awful things about the hotel and there was also really good bits about the hotel. So it is quite hard to write this review. To be fair though I would never go back. It is such a shame because I went to best cambrils last year and it was amazing. But my 2nd visit was very poor. I recommended the hotel to all my friends the 1st time. I certainly wouldn't recommend it now.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Immogen M

Travellers are raving about these Cambrils hotels

Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

20th July - 27th July - Before booking, like many others I have read, I was slightly in the dark on what to expect and didn't know what it was going to be like. On arrival we were greeted by the reception staff and were quickly given our bands and room keys. The room was very clean after I had spent a good minute or so inspecting it. Good storage, Nice bathroom, Air Con with 3 different settings, Fridge with complimentary drinks on arrival, blackout curtains. Also a nice flat screen TV with various Spanish channels and BBC News, also a cartoon channel with Spanish Peppa Pig which kept my 1 year old occupied while we got ready. The balcony is of a good size but I think we were towards the end of the hotel so our view wasn't as good but that didn't bother me.

The food and restaurant was very good and I very much liked the show cooking section which had a selection of meats, pizzas, pastas and spaghettis which were cooked right in front of you. The chefs are very clean and always keep the cooking equipment clean. Pancakes for breakfast comes highly recommended, freshly cooked in front of you, selections of sauces and whipped cream, lovely! All of the restaurant and bar staff work extremely hard, they may not smile a lot but they work hard.

The entertainment started off ok with a few impressive acts but then dramatically fizzled out towards the end of the week with the worst singing duo I have ever heard, most of the crowd had left, the others were asleep. I've seen more entertainment at a funeral. I think the entertainment acts need to get people involved a lot more and get people up on stage. One act did however do this and 5 men were brought on stage through no choice of their own and made to perform a tribal dance which was very funny and got everyone laughing. So overall I think the entertainment is where the hotel needs to improve. Activities during the day, I think I counted 2 water aerobics, 2 water polo and one where a kid is put into a giant ball to try and walk on the pool, during my 7 day stay. (3 days spent at the beach though)

5 Thank Curtis A
BestHotels2014, Gerente at Hotel Best Cambrils, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Curtis, Thank you so much for your review and I am so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay. Delighted that you appreciated our food, your room and the hard work of our teams. We do try our hardest to make our guests feel at home and comfortable. I am sorry to hear though that you found our entertainment poor, I have noted your comments about it and will look through the parts that can be improved . We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Best Cambrils soon, Antonio Escobedo, General Manager
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just got back yesterday 27th july from 10 nights at this hotel. was a bit worried after reading reviews. I have been to loads of all inclusive hotels and the choice of food at this hotel was fantastic,drinks served with meals, cava with breakfast! show cooking brilliant, restaurant staff work extremely hard, replenishing food regularly, waiters efficient, but could smile a bit more(perhaps some of the guests waste of food annoyed them, it did me, some people had plates piled high, and didn't eat it, mainly russians, when you could go back as many times as you needed to, so no need for this!
Bar staff again work very hard, but do need to be a bit more pleasant(apart from maurizio, and the new guy who started on saturday(tamir i think) who were really smiley and friendly and couldn't do enough for you.

Be aware there is a hefty charge for the safe, 55 euros for 10 days and you only get 10 back! so along with the local tax you have to pay on arrival, you have to pull out quite a bit of money before your holiday starts.

The rooms were very clean and the maids worked very hard and always said "hola" if they saw you, we were lucky with our room as had extra balcony and sea view, would not like to stay at back, but then again who spends their holiday in their room?

The pool was fantastic and very clean, but you have to grab a sunbed as everyone else does!
make sure you take your receipt back for your parasol the same day and you get your money back.The pool snack bar is very busy at certain times, the allinclusive band gets you plenty of choice of snacks and drinks, cornettos and lollies for kids, after breakfast, lunch and evening meal couldn't fit much in!

Evening entertainment mainly good, apart from a couple of nights,just look at the boards to tell you whats on and if its karoke or old couple singing just go out for the night.

beach just across road, salou to the left agood 40min walk, and cambrils to the right slighty less(lovely place nicer beach and much cleaner than salou ).

overall a very good hotel, with very good food, hard working staff (if a bit grumpy)would go again no problem,

Room Tip: You can't choose a good room, they are on allocation, unless you book a sea view, or pool view...
4 Thank angela d
BestHotels2014, Gerente at Hotel Best Cambrils, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Angela, Many thanks for such a great review, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are proud to have one of our guests describe our food as “fantastic” and our hotel as “very good”. Tthank you very much for your recommendation. I am glad to hear you were impressed about our friendly staff, they will be delighted to read your comments and it does wonders for motivation! It would be lovely to see you again in the near future. Best wishes from Cambrils, Antonio Escobedo, General Manager
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Have just got back from another week in Spain stayed in this Hotel last year we found all as we left it building wise and a lot of the staff were working there as well so it was easy to get back in to the groove Food was very good and loads of it so you never can say that you couldn't find something you didn't like waiting staff worked very hard to make everything go smoothly. The bar staff never stopped and gave a great show completely. Entertainment good considering they cater for at least 4 different nationalities and after a few drinks it all becomes understandable .
The rooms were very clean and again the staff worked hard to make it so
The area is very clean beached fantastic. A local restaurants are great value if you want to eat out transportation if easy without a car you can get a reloadable. Card from the office across the road and off you go all of my family had a great time we'll worth a visit

Room Tip: All rooms are the same but try to get a room at the front
1 Thank Frank E
BestHotels2014, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Best Cambrils, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Frank, Fantastic to hear that you have chosen our hotel again, always a good encouragement for the whole team. We are really happy everything went so smooth during your holidays and you brought wistful memories from your trip. Thank you for your review and look forward to you visiting Best Cambrils again. Regards, Management
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Myself, husband and 2 kids (age 10 & 11) stayed at this hotel 11th - 21st July and after reading some negative reviews I have to say that I arrived very worried about what our room and the facilities were going to be like. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, the rooms although slightly cramped (but sure you are only in them to change and sleep in) were cleaned every day and clean towels provided. The pool and all public areas were clean. If you want an umbrella for your beds by the pool, you have to hire this at €2 per day - although if you return the umbrella along with the receipt you are given you will get your €2 back. The lifeguard who provides the umbrellas does not tell you this though! The food was nice and varied with a lot of it. The beach a two minute walk away. The boys on the other hand were a little bit annoyed that there was not a bigger 'play' area for their age range i.e soccer pitch or tennis courts. The play area is quite small and there really is nothing for the 10-12 age range (especially boys!). The later entertainment was ok and the hotel tries to provide something different each night. The bar staff were grand, though they could do with learning to smile a bit more - with the exception of Maurizio who worked tirelessly, always helpful and made our visit enjoyable. I think more of the staff need to take a leaf out of his book! The bus stop is right outside the door which was very handy. You should purchase the bus pass which allows up to 20 trips anywhere in the area. If visiting Portaventura I would advise to get the night time ticket as you are only queuing approx 10 mins for rides as opposed to 40 mins during the day. It can be a bit rushed but at least it is cooler and you get on more rides. Bike hire is also available from the hotel, which is a good way of seeing Cambrils and Salou along the lovely promenade.

Room Tip: I requested a pool view room and didnt get one so not sure how you go about to ensure you get a pool...
3 Thank B7Morgan
BestHotels2014, Gerente at Hotel Best Cambrils, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you very much for your recent review and such a positive praise. We are extremely pleased that you were made to feel comfortable and welcomed at our hotel. We always take a great delight in surprising our customers, I am glad you enjoyed the facilities as well as our customer service. I am very fortunate with the fabulous team we have here which always aims that each of our guests would feel home away from home. We all look forward to you visiting the hotel again. Best Regards, Antonio Escobedo
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I always research before booking a holiday or a break and Trip Advisor is a fabulous site to get the opinions 1st hand from people who have experienced a resort or hotel before. Perhaps sometimes you need to ignore some of the over critical or unreasonable negative views but one tip I couldn't ignore when booking a room in this hotel for July this year, was to ensure I didn't end up in a room at the back of the hotel. I booked a higher priced room with Travel Republic believing that, as there were lower priced rooms I would not be in this bad location. Wrong! Reception gave me the bad news at check in, room 198 at the back of the hotel on the 1st floor. They informed me that my agent had not 'upgraded' me and it was a standard room. Why did this cost me more when I still ended up in one of the worst rooms in the hotel?
Room 198 is not only as good as touching the railway line, it is also above the kitchen A fantastic room if you want an alarm call at 6 am, everyday!
I liked this hotel! The food was very good, the restaurant staff were, how can I put it, very serious, never smiled, but they were very efficient, put your knife and fork down and blink and your plate had gone. In fact all staff were like them, very serious, apart from a few bar staff who were great, especially Maurizio who would always be happy, funny and would go that extra mile and not forgetting Javier another valuable employee.
One great plus for this hotel is it's location, situated between Salou and Cambrils with a lovely beach across the road. Most comments from other reviewers were spot on, expensive safe use, car parking 12 euros a day. Entertainment not really very good.
Would I go back? Definitely not in a room at the back of the hotel. Nice if the staff smiled a little bit. I think I would go back, but I probably won't.

Room Tip: Do not have a room at the back of the hotel especially 198
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tractor_boy138
Dear Customer, Many thanks for posting your review. We do have standart rooms and superior rooms with pool views, which are always guaranteed with an additional surcharge. I am very sorry to hear though that your agency charged you for the superior room but hadn´t really booked it with us, which led to a dissapointing stay. Let me know when you are coming in next, and we will get you a room you prefer! I do hope to welcome you back, Antonio Escobedo, General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambrils
Hotel Best Maritim
Monica Hotel
Monica Hotel
#2 of 33 in Cambrils
H10 Mediterranean Village

Been to Hotel Best Cambrils? Share your experiences!