“Don't listen to the moaners!”

Hotel Best Cambrils
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Cambrils
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Don't listen to the moaners!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were a bit apprehensive going to this hotel due to the negative reviews but we could not have been more pleased with the whole experience. Well worth the extra few euros for a pool view but remember earplugs because entertainment is a wee bit noisy but does finish around 12am. Food was amazing with something for everyone our boys aged 8 and 10 tried lots of different things and loved them. There were comments about unfriendly staff but to be honest I don't blame them because they are rushed off their feet and have to put with horrible rude Russian folk all day! If you were nice and friendly to them you got the same back. The maids cleaned rooms every day clean towels if you wanted them and the pool is lovely too. Only down side is that the pool area was probably not cleaned as often as it should have been a few tables with dirty cups plates etc needed washed. The location is perfect just a stones throw from amazing beach and promenade and bus stop outside takes you to town centre, Barcelona, Portaventure etc. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

1 Thank Scudyer56
BestHotels2014, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Best Cambrils, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you very much for your recent review, your lovely comments on so many aspects of your experience at the hotel are highly appreciated. Cambrils is the perfect place for family holidays and we are so glad you chose to stay at our hotel. Delighted that we were able to create fond memories for you and it would be lovely to see you again in the near future. Best Regards, Management of the hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Have just spent 2weeks in cambrill and we could not have chosen a better hotel. The food was excellent and varied to meet every taste and the staff were all very friendly. The hotel is situated in a great position just a 2minute walk to the beautiful beach would definitely return . Although this is a very large hotel at no time did it appear crowded and the whole two weeks was a delight

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter although close to a railway line with occasional train noise
3 Thank steadyleady
BestHotels2014, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Best Cambrils, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Reviewer, Fantastic to hear that you will be back to enjoy all the hotel and Costa Dorada has to offer, greatly value your comments and taking the time to praise the food and service in particular. We look forward to welcoming you back for many more enjoyable stays in the years to come. Regards, Management Best Cambrils
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Having read several contradictory reviews of this hotel, I can honestly say that this was a good value hotel in a very pleasant resort. On arrival we asked about the issue of noise and view of the railway side and were offered the option of viewing the original room allocated at the rear of the hotel and another overlooking the pool. The rooms at the front are slightly larger and carry a premium extra should you opt for this - which is not unreasonable. In fact, we preferred the room to the rear as it was on the top floor in a corner where you could see both the railway line and the sea. It could be argued that if you want to avoid late night guest and entertainment noise, a room to the rear and higher up may actually be better. You get used to the trains!

Choice of food in the restaurant is very good, though it gets busy after 9pm as a lot of non residents come in for the range and value on offer. Breakfast is also very good in terms of choice of hot or cold.

TV channel choice in rooms is limited. Rooms are very clean and serviced every day. Staff pleasant and helpful as a rule. However you have to ask for things, as there is not much information provided in the room.

The hotel is very well placed in relation to an excellent, clean soft golden sand beach, which is less crowded than most on this coast, Only drawback is that it is quite a long walk to Cambrils town, but the bus service is excellent and relatively cheap. .Cambrils port is a very attractive small town and has a good market once a week. Take the bus to the market as it is in the northern part of the town.

There are nice cafe/restaurants facing the beach close to the hotel though choice of food can be a bit limited. Beware crazy cyclists on the cycle path/promenade though!

Easy to get buses to Salou and Tarragona (well worth a visit to the Rambla/beach/roman old town) and Barcelona. A trip to Barcelona by train from Salou is possible but a long journey in a packed and surprisingly infrequent train, so get a bus or go on an organised tour.

Room Tip: On arrival ask for a choice if you have been allocated a room at the rear - better to do this when y...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank seeisatea
BestHotels2014, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Best Cambrils, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest, Your lovely comments on so many aspects of your experience at the hotel are appreciated, thank you very much for such positive praise. We are truly delighted to read that our pleasant and professional team made a great impression, the atention to detail is absolutely central in our services. It was our pleasure to look after you and we look look forward to welcoming you back. Best Regards, Management
Torquay
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I travelled to Best Cambrils on the 25th July for a week in a large party of 8 of us! 6 adults and 2 children. After reading some of the more negative comments I think it's safe to say we were a tad nervous however this was totally unfounded!

We had 4 rooms on the second floor looking over the car-park /railway line. The train was nowhere near as noisy as some have intimated on here - we spent so little time in our rooms (we were on holiday!) that the only time any of us really noticed it was when we were hanging our towels out!

The reception staff were friendly and helpful - we couldn't check in til midday so spent the morning down on the beach - beautiful! Some of the bar staff (not all) were clearly unhappy with serving English - a little disappointing but some were great. Francoise from the Pool Bar was very cheerful and funny!

The restaurant can be a little hectic but the staff were always very helpful. There were several large groups and they always tried their best to seat groups together. The choices of food were immense and lovely! Lots of fresh food, fresh fish, food being cooked in front of you and it was also in abundance. Don't confuse the rude and bullyish customers with the restaurant staff. They work incredibly hard and some customers were damn rude!

The pool was lovely, if a little cold! There was always plenty of sun beds around. The pool bar was busy at times but there was plenty of choice. My only comment would be that parents should perhaps not let their children go up and down all the time. This clearly slows down the bar staff and a lot of the children were young and only wanting ice creams. They were also sitting at the bar which I personally don't like!

The beach was lovely and within a minutes walk. Definitely worth spending a day or two over there. If you're all inclusive, order a packed lunch the evening before - they are well worth it! Packed full of tasty food for the day :)

My only negativity would be around the entertainment. This felt to be directed solely at children and the entertainers spoke in very fast Spanish - their English was lacking - but you really couldn't understand a lot of what they said! I think if the hotel worked on this aspect, it could really nail it!

All in all, a great holiday for all of us!!

Room Tip: You shouldn't be spending a lot of time in your room! All have positives and negatives!
4 Thank Jules898
This is fantastic to hear you had great holidays, thank you for such a detailed review. The greatest pleasure for the team and me comes from exceeding our guests' expectations and we are all delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. Many thanks for pointing out which aspects you liked and which were not so good, this definitelly helps us when reviewing our services. We look forward to welcoming you back for many more enjoyable stays in the years to come. Best Regards, the Management of the hotel
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have just returned from a weeks holiday. We had an early flight so arrived at the hotel around 10am which was well before check-in which is anytime after 12pm, we were tired and had a 2 hour wait before we were supplied with our all inclusive wristbands, the drinks machines hadn't been turned on so we were left waiting in the lobby. When we got our keys I was relieved that we had a pool view which was very nice however the rooms lacked attention, no mirror in room aside from the bathroom which is useless because its steamed up after showering, reception told me all rooms were the same, curtains missing pegs, looked shabby hanging, only given one chair on balcony even though they were 3 in my party, when asked we were given 1 more. Sheets didn't fit beds very well too small. The shower was very good and powerful but I don't know what good the bath would have been as it was tiny perhaps for young children. The maids very pleasant and worked hard everyday but tidied rather than cleaned, towels were changed on request if left in the bath but I have to say towels looked on the grubby side. The pool was cleaned well daily but the sun beds were very old and grotty, you have to pay 2euros for a parasol which is refundable at the end of the day with receipt, these to could do with replacing. We bought a Lilo for our daughter from a shop attached to the hotel and we're told she couldn't use it even though other children had different floaty pool toys, their were no signs informing lilo's were not allowed. Pool side bar staff are very busy so you could find yourself waiting a while before being served and even on an all inclusive package some drinks and ice creams are an extra charge. The food in the restaurant was good, a wide range for adults and children, the show cooking looks great but be aware I wasn't always convinced that the meat was cooked. Some lovely stir fry dishes and freshly made pancakes for breakfast. The thing that let the restaurant down was the continuously dirty plates which we had to search for a clean one, on positive note the staff were polite and work extremely hard. We enjoyed our holiday as the hotel is in a quiet and convenient location with a bus stop right outside the front great for trips along the coast and excursions also the Plana coach company is opposite the hotel, they are extremely helpful with bus times etc, would recommend you seek them out if your planning a trip as we feel they were better value. Lovely beach with golden soft sand a few minutes walk away. We enjoyed some lovely evening walks along the coast. Overall this hotel is far from 4star.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 10032002caroline
BestHotels2014, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Best Cambrils, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Caroline, Many thanks for leaving your review, your opinion is highly appreciated and valued. We are always pleased to read what our guests think, as it really does help with our commitment to continually review and improve the service we provide. We aim to ensure all our guests receive a highest level of customer service and I am dissapointed you felt that this was not your case. Please accept our apologies; we do hope you would consider returning to the Best Cambrils again in the future. Best Regards, Management
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Where to begin. When we arrived at the hotel we were expecting poolside rooms as was booked through our travel agents. The hotel demanded an extra 320 euros for this when we arrived on top of what we had already paid. Fair enough I guess they are in demand rooms. But nevertheless the rooms we got were pretty shoddy. My room (473) had a MASSIVE mould patch on the ceiling next to the door. Not ideal as I was sharing with my brother who has asthma. Also we had lots of bugs in our bathroom. Not exactly worth the extra money eh? I have photos to prove all this by the way. But anyway, the cirque de soleil was in portaventura so we booked tickets for the tuesday for 4 of us to go through the hotel which was 340 euros. So at dinner time on the monday we had dinner in the hotel. Then for the next 2 days we all the had the worst food poisoning we have ever encountered. There was even a shortage of staff that were clearly off sick. We even saw 3 guests vomit in the bathroom at reception as well as a pile of vomit outside the bathroom. Needless to say we didnt get to go to portaventura. The reception staff were disgraceful in dealing with our complaint about this. To be fair (apart from 1 nice lady) every single person we spoke to who worked at the reception had an attitude problem and were stuck up, useless human beings. Seriously. One woman actually told me and I quote "what do you expect us to do about you being sick, you are only the 11th person to complain about this I mean really out of the all the guests its not that much." I was livid. The hotel refused to give us the money back for the circus tickets even though it was THEIR fault we missed the show. It was absolutely disgraceful. I only ever ate salad and pasta the rest of my stay in the hotel for fear of more poisoning. I tried to complain to the hotel manager 5 times but kept getting told he wasn't in the hotel and nobody knew when he would be there. I ended up giving up. So basically a complaint was never filed because of course there was no one to complain to (as we were told by the staff we had to speak to the hotel manager) and we were after all only the 11th person to complain. Disgraceful. Im so angry just thinking about it. It ruined our whole holiday not to mention we where already almost 700 euros down and we had only been there a 5 days! A few of the bar staff were total idiots, took forever to get served and kept mixing up drinks etc. To be fair though there was 2 bar waitors who were brilliant and such nice people. The waiting staff in the dining hall were all lovely as were the chefs. The cleaners were great aswell. Apart from obviously the bugs and the mould they cleaned our rooms really well and were very pleasant. The pool was always clean. The entertainment they put on at night was usually pretty good. Some of the acts they had were sensational. There was also a clown called Xavi who worked every night for the kids mini disco who was amazing. He was a lovely man and a brilliant clown. He was so good with the kids I even sent him a message on facebook telling him how great he was. So there were extremely awful things about the hotel and there was also really good bits about the hotel. So it is quite hard to write this review. To be fair though I would never go back. It is such a shame because I went to best cambrils last year and it was amazing. But my 2nd visit was very poor. I recommended the hotel to all my friends the 1st time. I certainly wouldn't recommend it now.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Immogen M

Travellers are raving about these Cambrils hotels

Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

20th July - 27th July - Before booking, like many others I have read, I was slightly in the dark on what to expect and didn't know what it was going to be like. On arrival we were greeted by the reception staff and were quickly given our bands and room keys. The room was very clean after I had spent a good minute or so inspecting it. Good storage, Nice bathroom, Air Con with 3 different settings, Fridge with complimentary drinks on arrival, blackout curtains. Also a nice flat screen TV with various Spanish channels and BBC News, also a cartoon channel with Spanish Peppa Pig which kept my 1 year old occupied while we got ready. The balcony is of a good size but I think we were towards the end of the hotel so our view wasn't as good but that didn't bother me.

The food and restaurant was very good and I very much liked the show cooking section which had a selection of meats, pizzas, pastas and spaghettis which were cooked right in front of you. The chefs are very clean and always keep the cooking equipment clean. Pancakes for breakfast comes highly recommended, freshly cooked in front of you, selections of sauces and whipped cream, lovely! All of the restaurant and bar staff work extremely hard, they may not smile a lot but they work hard.

The entertainment started off ok with a few impressive acts but then dramatically fizzled out towards the end of the week with the worst singing duo I have ever heard, most of the crowd had left, the others were asleep. I've seen more entertainment at a funeral. I think the entertainment acts need to get people involved a lot more and get people up on stage. One act did however do this and 5 men were brought on stage through no choice of their own and made to perform a tribal dance which was very funny and got everyone laughing. So overall I think the entertainment is where the hotel needs to improve. Activities during the day, I think I counted 2 water aerobics, 2 water polo and one where a kid is put into a giant ball to try and walk on the pool, during my 7 day stay. (3 days spent at the beach though)

5 Thank Curtis A
BestHotels2014, Gerente at Hotel Best Cambrils, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Curtis, Thank you so much for your review and I am so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay. Delighted that you appreciated our food, your room and the hard work of our teams. We do try our hardest to make our guests feel at home and comfortable. I am sorry to hear though that you found our entertainment poor, I have noted your comments about it and will look through the parts that can be improved . We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Best Cambrils soon, Antonio Escobedo, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambrils
Hotel Best Maritim
#1 of 33 in Cambrils
Hotel Best Negresco
Hotel Best Negresco
#34 of 93 in Salou

Been to Hotel Best Cambrils? Share your experiences!