My trip back to L'Escala comes having spent every summer holiday here from aged 5 to 18 and so I was really excited to return to Empuries. I wasn't disappointed. The hotel still feels the same as it did back in the 1980's, but updated to be relevant in today's market. The staff were exceptionally friendly, the food was incredible ( local, responsibly sourced produce ) and the ambience felt the same as it always did. The views from the hotel are beautiful - uninterrupted Mediterranean . if you get the chance take a walk outside the hotel and straight opposite is a wooden set of steps that take you up the rocks to the headland. The views are breathtaking... over the bay of Roses and to the old town of L'Escala.
The hotel isn't lux, but it doesn't need to be. The rooms are spotlessly clean with air con to combat the hot days. There is a lovely old library with comfy leather chairs for you to while away the hours and the terrace has lots of comfy seating with big cushions for you to sit and enjoy tapas and the views. Empuries was everything I hoped it would be and I am already plotting my return :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Legacy Hostal Empuries stands on an ancient settlement, beside the Greek and Roman ruins of Empuries, whose beauty and tranquility attracted the Iberians as much as the Greek seafarers and the first Romans who settled the Iberian Peninsula. Moreover this is the place from which the mythic country of Emporda took its name. This privileged location is the actual cradle of our culture and the only Greek and Roman archaeological site in the whole peninsula. Consequently, to protect and enrich this legacy is one of the main objectives of the Hostal. The History The original construction of Hostal Empuries appeared in 1907, under the name of Villa Teresita, with the idea of giving lodgings to the first archaeologists, who directed by Puig i Cadafalch, set out on the job of excavating and restoring the Greek and Roman remains. From these historic beginnings the Hostal changed at the start of the 20C and became the precursor to touristic lodgings in the area, even before the use of the term Costa Brava. Years ago there was a change of management in the Hostal which undertook to finish extensive reforms with the idea that activities should flourish throughout the entire year and that the badly run-down site would be restored. With the same pioneering spirit of the ancients and the ability to responsibly and sensitively modify this magical spot, alongside the exacting requirements of the modern tourist, the Hostal is really striving to transform itself into a new reference point, a new model of tourism under the name of Sustainable Tourism, founded on social and ecological responsibility. The spirit The new Hostal Empuries is a project based on the idea of improving the world in which we live and share so that future generations might also enjoy themselves. We would like to become the best Hostal for our world... for a world where we all belong and for the Earth that surrounds us. Accordingly, we take our responsibility for managing this site very seriously and we endevour to serve all those who come to enjoy this encounter with nature and history of which we proudly form a part. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Prestigia, Ebookers, Agoda, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hostal Spa Empuries reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostal Empuries l Escala
- Hostal Empuries Hotel l Escala
- Hostal Spa Empuries Spain/Costa Brava