“Beautiful hotel but watch location of room”

Belvedere Strandhotel & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Spiez
Madison, WI
“Beautiful hotel but watch location of room”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We stayed for three nights and had a "mountain view" room. The room was noisy being above the kitchen and the tour buses loaded outside our room very early in the mornings. We did not get a good night’s sleep. I think the lake room views would be much better. The dinner meals were a lot more than we could afford so we cannot rate the meals other than the menu looked great. Breakfast was quite good, especially the coffee, and the variety of choices was the best we had encountered. There are plenty of places to dine in Spiez, so options are available. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms were quite large. The room, however, was quite warm and could have used an overhead fan since AC is not available. We did love the character of the hotel. The location was excellent and we could easily walk to Lake Thun and the marina to enjoy the view. The walk from the train station to the hotel was downhill so not a terrible trek. They were nice enough to give us a ride when it was time to leave - about three minutes by car uphill. The staff was first rate but we were left wondering why our room was not changed since there were other rooms available.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GnC4850

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Northern California
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Great place! Definitely recommend. Wonderful breakfast with eggs/omelets cooked to order. This is more French speaking area of Switzerland. We walked about 7 mins. from train station on hot day. Staff very attentive to our needs and provided refreshing water. One thing we're getting used to in Switzerland: they don't serve drinks cold, just cool. And when you ask for ice, they look at you strangely. Anyway, we had a nice patio area and enjoyed our stay. Oh, floors in room were a little sweaky.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Huddersfield, England
Reviewed 11 June 2009

We stayed with our 4 year old son in a family room (#101 & 102) with excellent view across the lake and towards the castle. This suite is at the opposite end of the hotel to the conference centre and benefits from being quieter. Room facilities were as I would expect for the price. All staff were extremely polite and helpful and offered a lot of warmth to our son - not the indifference some hotels can give to kids. Service at breakfast and dinner was very good with again a good range for kids. I've noted some comments about the age of the building and I would say that the hotel has character (creaking floorboards and all). If you want a modern, sterile hotel then go somewhere else! We were given a lift both to and from the station by the receptionist as a matter of course. The hotel does have a conference trade but this did not interfere with our enjoyment. The town is a short walk away along a quiet street and the surrounding area is fantastic for families. Our son loved the lake ships, trains, cable cars etc. We would definitely return. We did stay at the start of the season and the hotel was reasonably quiet.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 3 July 2008

The best part about this hotel is its location. It sits up on a hill with a commanding view of the Spiez marina and Lake Thun. However, from the hotel's website, I was expecting to find a lovely and private hotel with lots of charm. What we found instead was a hotel that catered to business and tour groups, community gatherings (lots of meetings) had a busy conference center right next door. The Strand Belvedere does indeed have a lovely view but it sits in an awkward location: because it is located on a busy street that leads down the hill to a group of homes and a large community swimming pool complex there is a lot of noisy back and forth traffic all day and late into the night. Because the hotel's parking lot backs onto the conference center, there is a lot of traffic and noise there, too. Our family had two connecting rooms on the second floor (#106). Surprisingly, both bedrooms looked out onto the busy street. #106 did come with a "living room" that had a huge deck, and the deck did indeed have a great view of the marina and the lake, but it also was in full view of the conference center and parking lot from behind. Also, there was a huge spotlight mounted on the deck that shined up at the hotel's facade at night, lighting it up in dramatic fashion. Unfortunately, since the spotlight was mounted above the deck's floor, the light shined directly at us and made us very uncomfortable. Not good. Also, the rooms are not air conditioned and the ventilation was inadequate. The carpets were quite worn and the floors were uneven and creaky. There is a bizarre "good night" message left on your bed at night as part of turndown service. The bathrooms were neat and organized but the glass shower door was very inconvenient and the toilet seat had a bizarre, self-cleaning function I'd never seen anywhere else. The wellness center took a little getting used to. Instead of a full sized pool, there is a resistance pool that my wife actually loved. I had a massage and was expecting to get a real pounding, instead I got a very light and wimpy massage from a woman who spoke only German and didn't seem to understand the concept of "deep tissue." Having said all this, there were quite a few good things about the Stand Belvedere, too. The staff is quite friendly and hardworking. Andy, the Assistant Manager, seems to be on duty all the time. He was exceedingly polite. The breakfast buffet was incredibly good....but the room it was served in was very hot and very stuffy. We eventually retreated outside to a lovely terrace. We didn't spend a lot of daytime in the hotel, using Spiez as a jump off to other parts of Interlaken. The boats that scoot around lake Thun are a delight to take giving great views. There are several other hotels on the water in nearby cities. While the Strand Belvedere wasn't great, it wasn't terrible either. I'll give it a mixed review but proably wouldn't return there. The business center and hotel's crowded business gatherings chased me away.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Noisy location, conference center right next door, creaky floors, bright light on deck, no air conditioning
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank TravelingManVan
Swindon, England
Reviewed 8 October 2006

Very smart rooms and a well organised hotel. A good continental breakfast. We had the half board menu which we found of excellent quality.
Our only minor gripe was that it was difficult to ventilate the rooms adequately when the weather was warm - wedges for the balcony doors would be useful.
Excellent view over the lake from the dining room / lake view rooms. The hotel is in a very peaceful location.
The hotel is about 10 minutes walk downhill from the railway station - the hotel has a minbus, so would collect / take guests if asked.

• Liked — Excellent location and food
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure booking details are confirmed in writing
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank PeterBurton
Devon,England
Reviewed 12 September 2006

This very good four star hotel is located in a quiet part of Spiez with a ten minute stroll to the lakeside.The lakeside bedrooms, dining rooms and terrace have stunning views of the lake and mountains.The food is excellent and staff helpful and friendly.We would certainly return

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank DAKDAK1
Basel Stadt, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 April 2006

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel on three occasions, and I agree with the posting below (except that they are no longer members of the Relais de Silence and omelettes only seem to be served at Sunday breakfasts). The hotel has much that is good about it (view, cuisine - as long as this chef lasts - see GaultMillau Schweiz, and they posted a tie I had forgotten, without my asking). It however has two big disadvantages; the managers Frau Seiler-Bigler and Herr Schneider.

On our first stay, we were given a bottle of corked wine. Herr Schneider tasted it and said that it was not corked, asking me if I had had wine from that vineyard before. I insisted that it was corked, but when given a second bottle which was not corked Herr Schneider declined my offer to taste it.

At the end of our stay last year, I was told when paying that both my credit cards were ‘blocked’. On contacting the credit card company the next day, I was told this was not the case. Maybe the hotel didn’t want to pay the commission to the credit card company.

Our most recent, and last, stay (until the managers change) was from 7th to 9th April, 2006. Firstly, we were not met at the railway station as arranged. I had booked two rooms one a specific room, and received a confirmation for this specific room. On checking in, I noticed that we had not been allocated the room I had requested. I pointed this out to the receptionist who asked us to sit down and asked if we would like a drink. Frau Seiler-Bigler then came and told us that the room we had been allocated was better than the one we had reserved (however same category and price), and that they had given our reserved room to other guests since they had been staying in that room for 35 years and were staying longer than us. I told her that they were in breach of contract and that I would accept the substitute room for a 50% reduction. She replied that she didn’t know if a 50% reduction were possible and walked away. After waiting for about five minutes, I asked one of the receptionists what was happening; she said she would get Frau Seiler-Bigler. Frau Seiler-Bigler asked me what we had decided (as if we had been given a choice); I repeated my offer, which she accepted. When we received the bill for dinner that night, I noticed that the drinks we had been given while waiting for Frau Seiler-Bigler were on our bill, but when I pointed this out they were removed.

When checking out, Herr Schneider gave us an introductory spiel on how mistakes happened, but that they were willing to amend for their mistakes, thus we had the 50% reduction. However, on checking the bill I noticed that we had been charged for a dinner which we hadn’t had, (this “mistake” neatly covered the reduction we were given and more). When I pointed this out the dinner was removed from our bill. Next I noticed that we had been given the 50% reduction on the cheaper room (CHF 210- per night) which was as reserved. When I pointed out that this was not as agreed and that they were in breach of contract a second time, Herr Schneider put up a smoke screen concerning which room replaced the one we had specifically reserved and category of rooms. I asked him not to make an already bad situation worse. He continued with his smoke screen, and I told him I was sick of his swindling. He then became sarcastic, told the receptionist to give us what we wanted and walked away.

In short, a potentially very good hotel spoilt by two bad managers.

This hotel is part of the small Hauenstein chain. I have not stayed at their other hotels and thus cannot comment on them.

• Stayed April 2006
9 Thank Basle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spiez
Hotel Eden
#4 of 5 in Spiez
Parkhotel Gunten
Parkhotel Gunten
#1 of 1 in Gunten

Been to Belvedere Strandhotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!