“Charming, calm, clean, central”
Review of Hotel Garni Centro

Hotel Garni Centro
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chiasso
Reviewed 17 December 2013

As every time I enjoyed the Hotel Garni Centro and will checkin again. The rooms are good and clean; the location is central and calm. The friendly and charming management is helpful all the time as the staff is.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andreas B

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I spent almost 2 months at the hotel, during a training I was doing in Chiasso. The service was amazing, very welcoming. All the staff are always ready to help you out.
It is a very small hotel, and the cozy ambiance is due the constant presence of the owner. He can manage your requests in a personal level, without the regular bureaucracy you face at bigger hotels.
Another high value issue is the free wifi. A very rare item at the other hotels in the surroundings. The connection was very good.
There were a couple of negative issues at first glance, but they were all bypassed during time.
I highly recommend the place and I hope to stay there again next time in Chiasso.

Room Tip: Ask in advance for a minifridge.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Clovis L
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Our MUSHINKAN Center for Continuing Education in the Movement Industry is absolutely thrilled by the satisfied feedback we got from attendees to various workshops who stayed at the Hotel Garni Centro in Chiasso:
perfect service, customer care and value for money.
It is certainly a good channel to make a good impression on our guests about this cosy little Town, as well as to our business image.

1  Thank Francesca C
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I decided to do a training course in Chiasso which was for 9 days spread over a 12 day period. I decided on hotel Garni Centro as it is 3 minutes away from the studio. I booked a double room as my fiancée was going to join me for three days. I rang to find out best way to get from the airport in Milan as the bus company did not have English on their site. Mateo rang up and booked a place on the bus for me and told me which exit and which parking bay to go to. This was fantastic as I was arrived late, having had to take 2 flights, and it was dark when I left the airport. The hotel is spotlessly clean and newly done up. The bed and bed linen are good quality. I was lent a charger and told I could keep it for the duration of my stay. Breakfast consists of cereals, fresh bread, cheeses, yogurts, peach halves, prunes, salami and fruit. The staff cannot do enough to make you comfortable and happy during your stay with them. Free wifi throughout which I really appreciated. The staff are great for recommending where to eat and what to do on days off. Overall I was delighted to stay here and for the fantastic customer service I received over my prolonged stay. If you coming to Chiasso do yourself a favour and stay here and Mateo and staff will make it a great experience.

1  Thank Blaithin2010
Reviewed 28 October 2013

It was a pleasure staying in your comfortable and very convenient accomodation just minutes away from the main station. I was less than 300m from the hotel to my business location and enjoyed the fast trip to work and back. The simple and modern design of the hotel offer a no-fuss service.
The hosts were very accomodating and willing to please with good knowledge of the local area. Easy check in and key-service to come and go as you please. I had a room facing the inside, towards a courtyard and received no noise from the street. The hotel was in this regard quiet and peacful. Eateries and cafes just a hop, skip and a jump away. Can well recommend the hotel to travellers passing through with the need to stay a few days. I will gladly return should I be back in Chiasso soon. Thank you once again:) and again, your dog is beautiful!

1  Thank HairyCanary11
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I can highly recommend a stay in this hotel. Not only are the rooms recently renovated and spotlessly clean but the whole experience of staying here is nothing short of excellent. The location of the hotel is perfect as it is only 5 minutes walk to the border with Italy. Free wi-fi throughoutthe hotel. The most outstanding feature of the hotel is the excellent service by Mateo and his staff. Rarely have I come across such high quality friendly service. Nothing is too much trouble. We met him accidentally when at Lake Como and he drove us back to the hotel. He lent me an iPad charger when I told him that I had forgotten mine. His recommendation of local restaurants meant we always dined well. I would very highly recommend hotel garni centro as an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DublinDave007
Reviewed 26 October 2013

There aren't too many hotels in Chiasso, at least not too many reviewed in TA.
So, choosing from a very small pool and based on TA photos and reviews, we paid what we thought was a lot of money (for two elderly retirees) for a two night stay at the Hotel Garni Centro. Including city taxes, our bill was CH256, or E208. This included a light buffet breakfast and in-room WiFi.

On arrival in Chiasso it was dark and raining heavily, so even though the hotel was only a short walk away, we took a taxi. And then we saw it through the rain - a slightly dilapidated office block, with the hotel accommodation on one floor. There were vacant shops and offices along from the hotel entrance which added to a "run-down" look. Luckily it was not yet 7pm since that is when Reception formally closes. Check-in was smooth and a multilingual young man carried our bags to our room.

On opening the door, we were a little dismayed to find it did not look like the photos on TA. Specifically, there was no carpet on the floor, nor rugs. The lighting was a desk lamp, switchable from the door. There was only one bed-side table with a small reading lamp. The chairs and luggage support were plastic, and the TV was a small screen LCD model set for analog reception even though we found digital reception was available. There was an air-conditioner but no remote control - since we were warm enough we didn't follow this up. The en-suite was small but functional, with a panel heater near the shower recess which didn't seem to work on demand - it may have been programmed. The only power socket in the bathroom we discovered at the end of the fluorescent light fitting - this took my wife a while to find! Overall, everything was clean enough and the beds were comfortable.

Breakfast was a cold buffet, adequate but not a lot of choice. Again, the photos on TA flatter the room and its furnishings because to us, it was more like a school refectory than a hotel. In fact, given the limited opening hours of Reception, the hotel was more like an upmarket back-packers' hostel - apart from the price.

But it would be churlish of me not to point out the best aspect of the hotel , and that is the helpfulness of the staff. In fact, my wife damaged her knee while out walking and the manager very kindly offered to run us to the station in his car, an offer gratefully accepted.

So, summing up: While spartan, the room was clean and we did get a good night's sleep, and the staff and management were polite and helpful. But as an elderly retired couple, it wasn't what we were expecting for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Street side rooms are slightly larger.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank OnceBittenMelbourne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiasso
Moevenpick Hotel Touring
Park Hotel Rovio-Albergo del Parco
Hotel Campione
Hotel Campione
#1 of 2 in Bissone

Been to Hotel Garni Centro? Share your experiences!