“Excellent budget option!”
Review of Capricorn Hostel

Capricorn Hostel
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We planned a short holiday in Laax and needed a cheap and cheerfull place to stay. As for usual, spending more money, doesn't automatically mean the quality of the place will improve at the same rate. Hence the fact we went for the cheapest option, Capricorn Hostel!
Location:
Excellent location, it's "around the corner" from the skilift and there is a track you can use to ski back to the hostel (don't go to far otherwise you'll end up on the tarmac). There is some parking space next to the hostel, otherwise there is a parking lot across the road. For the non-drivers, there is a busstop right opposite the hotel.
The hostel:
Don't expect anything fancy, modern and trendy. You get what you pay for, but I do think it gives the hostel that little bit of charm and a easy going feel to it. There is a breakfast/dining area and a bar. The breakfast is basic, but no different from what I would eat at home. We didn't try the dinner option, but it's a vegetarian style dinner. The bar is a great place to hang out in the evening, there's a beamer that shows extreme sports dvd's, so that's right on the money for the people who stay at the Capricorn Hostel.
The room:
We had 2 rooms, one with seperate beds and one with a bunkbed. The beds and duvets were, despite our initial expectation, surprisingly comfortable. The rooms aren't big, but how much time will you spend there anyway? Again, don't expect anything fancy, modern and trendy, the rooms are basic and that's it. The bathroom was basic as well, but with a great shower! (which comensates tenfold for anything else you might miss!) ;-)
The owner:
The owner is a friendly and helpfull guy, who was more than willing to answer all our questions and help us with what we needed. (Despite some other reviews, we had no(!) problems what so ever!)
Storage
There is a shed outside that is locked where you can store your snowboard/skis, I wouldn't want to take 'm in your room as there isn't that much space.

All in all, we had a great stay and based on what we paid, we had good value for money. If you want luxury and fancy stuff, up your budget (a lot) and find something else, if you need a cheap place to stay which has all the basic necessities, then Capricorn Hostel is a great option!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Capricorn Hostel

Reviewed 7 March 2013

Good proximity to the lifts and the ski bus stop is right across the road with a 5 minute trip to the Laax resort base. The hostel staff are very helpful but are also happy for you to do your own thing. A nice, bright breakfast room with adequate breakfast of bread, cereal and fruit but I would have killed for a boiled egg or porridge to set us up for the day! There is also a vegetarian dinner with a different menu nightly which brings guests together and causes a nice buzz in the room. We however usually walked to Laax for food, after a long day on the slopes we deserved a bigger dinner! Our room (for two) however was the big let down to an otherwise nice, cheap stay. I understand they use low energy lighting at the hostel but ours was so low energy we couldn't read or look in our bags after the sun went down and was quite depressing. We also had to fix one of the lights ourselves with a spare cable tie we happened to have, otherwise the lighting would have been even worse! We had a bunk bed room, although the beds perpendicular to eachother which made the room alot smaller and space is at a premium in a small hostel room. The orange and lime green bedding and pillows also need updating. Our bathroom was in the hall and we seemed to be the only users at the time which was good. The bathroom was clean and functional but the shower water pressure was non-existent, so disappointing considering the pressure in the sink and bath was great. Not something you want to have to deal with after a sweaty day skiing - surely a good hot shower is a basic.
There is a stand alone ski room outside the hostel building which doesn't have heating as it's basically a garden shed so boots need to be brought inside overnight if you don't want freezing toes in the morning. Don't forget to bring your own boot warmers if you have them!
I would recommend this hostel as a cheap, convenient place to stay but I can't help thinking that with a little tlc it would be a real gem rather than just ok.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2013

LAAX markets itself as the new home for snowboarders and Guschti certainly knows how to make you feel at home in his wonderful hostel. Not only is the Capricorn about a 10 minute walk from the main lifts up the mountain (and restaurants and bars), it is close to a COOP garage where you can buy those all important supplies (crisps, chocolate or if you fancy ice cream). The bus from Chur stops pretty much in front of it's door and so does the free ski shuttle. It has a convenient outdoor hut (safe and secure by the way) for your boards or ski's, outdoor seating area and nice views.
The breakfast is filling, good selection of cheeses, cereals and wholemeal bread. Oh yes and Nutella to give you an energy boost! The coffee machine in the dinning area is so amazing I wanted to take it home. Coffee made in heaven!
The whole place has a laid back ethnic feel with a dash of Swiss culture mixed with that all important snowboarder cool! Guschti upgraded myself and my friend to a private room with cute balcony free of charge. The room was really colourful and I appreciated the snowboard stickers giving it a real urban edge. I felt at home straight away.
The bar has a friendly and relaxed atmosphere with amazing staff, you often find boarding films being shown and the music appeals to the diverse crowd that drink there (I have never seen so many snowboarding magazines in one place). Both locals and tourists meet, drink and discuss their fantastic day up the mountain.
The shower I used was great, the hot water always hot and the facilities clean and tidy. There are towels at hand should you need them and I never felt cold in the hostel. (we did in fact have to turn down the heating).
The beds are super comfortable, the pillows so good I am going to try and buy one just like the one in the hostel and I didn't experience any noise from other guests. A good nights sleep was had all round!
We ate there one evening and is was the ideal chance to meet other guests and experience good healthy and very tasty vegetarian food. After eating burgers and pizzas all week this was a well earn t healthy change! The food really was delicious and far far too much for our group to consume. Excellent value for money!
So Guschti and the Capricorn really are great! I hope to return.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I stayed in Capricorn with some friends for a short skiing break in Jan 2012. The hostel was a wonderful family run, cosy feel to it, and serves up a great breakfast every morning. It's in a good location, a short walk from the uber modern Laax resort, and far enough away not to be woken up by loud music at night. Best of all, the owner and his staff cannot do enough for you, from driving your car up and down the icey driveway to lending our free skii goggles to borrow if you forget your own. It';s also got a nice bar and a mix of locals and tourists. I would come back again and again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2011

This place is a great stay if you want clean safe accomodation with great staff Gauri I think his name is very freindly couldnt do enough for us typical europian hostel but great value for money and only 5 min walk from the Ski runs in Laax. we had a great stay thanks again

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2010

Regarding the Hotel Capricorn (stayed 26-Mar-2010 – 8-Apr-2010):

• The Capricorn’s owner, Gusti, probably should have never chosen an occupation in the hospitality business, as he almost has no feel for guest relations. He’s quite strict, but if you’re polite and not argumentative, you may get what you ask for.

• Note that the Capricorn is not an actual hotel: there’s no room-service. My vacation lasted 12 days, of which only one day my room was cleaned and bedding changed.
This means you’d have to keep the room clean, as no one will clean it for you.

• The ski-room has no electricity (so, no light, and no drying for boots). However, there was no objection to me taking my snowboard to my room (which enabled me to do wax/edges’ service on my board every evening).

• Transportation:
o Very convenient location, transportation-wise. The Bus from Chur stops at the Laax Marcau (the Via Cons junction). From there it’s less than 60 meters to the hotel. Getting back to Cher is even more convenient as the bus stop is just opposite the hotel across the main road.
The shuttle to/from Laax and Flims Bergbahns (base-stations) stops at the same stops. Shuttles are free.

o In addition to the shuttle that goes between Flims and Falera (number 01), there’s also a shuttle to Salums (number 21) and to Cons (number 22), both stop at the Via Cons junction.

o In case one has missed the last shuttle, the post-bus costs CHF2.40 from Flims bergbahn to Cons.

o See excerpts from the free shuttle timetable at
 http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8798/laaxshuttletimetable1.png
 http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2720/laaxshuttletimetable2.png
 http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/161/laaxshuttletimetable3.png

• Laundry:
There are no laundry facilities. Get a shower gel in Volg supermarket (CHF1.40) and do your washing yourself. Drying laundry could be done on the room’s heating-radiator.

• Meals:
o Breakfast is uniform every day, and includes yogurt, fruit, honey, cheeses, butter, prunes, breads, coffee, tea, fruit juice. Boring but satisfactory.

o One can sign for Supper also (I never did, as the meals were vegetarian only).

• Wi-Fi:
Room 14 (first floor), where I stayed, on the corner of the hotel that faces Flims, seems to be right above the Wi-Fi router which is probably in the bar, and has an excellent connection to the Internet (its 54 Mbps, 802.11G). No password necessary.

• If you’re preparing lunch sandwiches, you may ask you leave to products (e.g., Salmon) in the Capricorn’s kitchen’s fridge.

Regarding Laax:

• Of all my snowboarding vacations till today, at Laax I had the most powder - and this include my vacation in Whistler-Blackcomb. As a matter of fact, two days were so snowy and foggy that I decided not to go on the mountain. In retrospect, this seems to be a mistake, because on another day with the same conditions I went on the mountain and even though there were unpleasant parts of the day, due to high winds and visibility of no more than 15 meters, there were other times of the day were the awesome virgin powder stretches would be worth the miserable moments.

• At your hotel and at many other places you may get the piste-plan.
Put it in your snowboarding/ski pants, along with the shuttle timetable.

• In the Nagens easy restaurant, all the food signs are in Romansh/German only (you may use http://www.websters-online-dictionary.com/definition/Romansch-english/).
When you take from the salad-bar (100gr is CHF3.20), the weight of the plate is taken into account. You can use your SkiDirect card in the easy restaurants. When paying with a credit card, sometimes the option to pay in NIS is given: it is more cost effective to pay in CHF.

• A bus ticket (after last Shuttle bus has gone) from Flims Bergbahn to Laax Cons junction is CHF2.40

• From Falera to the ski-site, there’s a 4 chair-lift. A small number have rain covers.

• The Flims-Laax-Falera shuttle stops at Falera post, where you need to take another shuttle (a minibus) to the Falera bergbahn.

• It is possible to get from Vorab glacier all the way down to Flims in one go: it’s 17 KM.

Food:
• There’s no need to buy vegetables in the supermarkets, as one can buy these (by weight) from the salad-bars in the easy restaurants on the mountain.

Shopping:
• If you arrive at the end of March /beginning of April, all the equipment shops are having sales starting at 30%. Flims/Laax is not a shopping Mecca, but bargains could be had.

Supermarkets:
• Volg at the square of the Laax Bergbahn (base station).

• Volg at Laax centre.

• Coop and Donner in Flims (take the shuttle to Flims post, and walk about 50 meters towards the Flims bergbahn on the main roads’ right hand side (mountain-side) sidewalk).

• The petrol station at the Laax Rancho circle has a small shop for emergencies (open 24/7).

• If you buy fruits/vegetables, you have to weigh them before getting to the checkout.

Sauna:
• At Flims/Laax are several wellness centers. The nearest to the Capricorn is the Laax Cons centre, at N10 on the Laax Location map (from the Capricorn, cross the Via Cons road, turn right, cross the field on the asphalt track, go up the hill, and immediately down on the track on the other side of the summit.

• Take to the sauna:
Book, bicycle pants, flippers, soap, shampoo, comb, socks, underpants, t-shirt, umbrella, plastic bags.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank whistlerboardrider
Reviewed 22 December 2009

We had been there for 2 nights in a double bed room. last night another friend joined us and it was no problem to get a mattress with bedding and bath towels. The hotelier "Guschti" was very cool and kind all the time. There's a room for the ski equipment and small pub to have a beer (or two...) in the evening. We had only breakfast, which was vegetarian. But it was no problem to become powerful for the skiing day. In the evening there is another vegetarian menu possible, but we decided to have eat some meat :-)

The skiing area around Laax with great slopes is one or two stations by bus which stops in front of the hotel. At night there is a club 200m from the hotel, but it was very empty ther because we stood there in the low season...

All in all a good hotel to sleep and go skiing!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laax
Grand Hotel Waldhaus Flims Alpine Grand Hotel & Spa
Hotel Raetia
#2 of 2 in Ilanz
Hotel-Restaurant Bellevue
Romantik Hotel Schweizerhof

Been to Capricorn Hostel? Share your experiences!