“Basic hotel, friendly service, excellent breakfast ... go somewhere else for dinner”
Review of Hotel Piz Ela

Hotel Piz Ela
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bergun
Zurich
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Bergün is a super location for a week-end (I would not stay longer). The hiking is excellent. The Piz Ela is a 300-year old building that has been continually refurbished. One positive aspect is that the hotel has several larger 3- and 4-bed rooms. Our 3-bed room was fine: The mattresses were comfortable and the shower/toilet was perfectly clean. The highlight for me was breakfast. The lowlight was dinner ... the pizzas at the restaurant are not spectacular. I would recommend eating dinner at the Weisses Kreuz hotel down the road. Otherwise, Mr. Iten is friendly and helpful. I recommend the hike up to Preda along the train tracks.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank RogerZurich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Essex
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I think the end of September is off season. We didn't see a soul until the end of breakfast - no reception staff (although not a problem). Functional clean rooms. No TV or hairdryer or lift. Has ensuite - bolted in cabin - which was fine. Noisy street during the day and evening, but no problem sleeping. Restaurant was closed when we were here. There is a bar opposite, which doesn't do food. Bakers does nice rolls in town if you are hiking.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Switzerland
Reviewed 17 January 2012

A group of us stayed at the Piz Ela for 2 nights during a sledding weekend in Bergun. The area is (obviously) gorgeous, and since Bergun is a tiny place, pretty much any location in town is a great one. There is an ice bar across the street from the hotel, but it did not bother us at all at night because it closed at 10pm and we were generally not in bed before midnight anyway. The rooms are cozy and very clean, and the bathroom of our room (36) was renovated. Be aware that the building is very old, so the floorboards creak and you can generally hear whatever your neighbors are doing. This wasnt an issue for us as we generally went to sleep after most guests. The staff is very friendly and the breakfast is fine. I would have liked to see some fruit or vegetables as part of the breakfast though, but nevertheless, it was ok. We did not eat at the restaurant during our stay.

Room Tip: I would say try to get a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank windvalley
Italy
Reviewed 16 September 2011

It is a very nice hotel, all is very well: thelocation is fantastic, the food very traditional, very kind staff and also the building is very beautiful and very Swiss.
Is the best hotel for winter and summer holiday!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CatyItaly
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 July 2011

This hotel is located in beautiful Bergun, which is a good basis to take either the Glacier Express or the Bernina Express.
It is located in a traditional building and the rooms are clean and big enough. The beds were very comfortable and seemed to have new mattresses.
The restaurant had a good choice of traditional Swiss and Italian food and the quality was pretty good.
The breakfast on the other hand didn't have a very big choice of different foods. It was pretty much one kind of bread, one kind of croissants, and some cheese and meat. There was no fruit at all and orange juice was the only juice option. Nobody would have to leave hungry, but a little bit more variety would have been nice.
Overall it is an OK hotel and I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Xabbu
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2011

My wife, myself and 2 children 17 and 14 stayed for 8 nights over Christmas 2010 and New Year and had a fantastic stay. I am very fussy, have stayed in plenty of 5 star hotels and know good service. I could not pick a fault anywhere. Sonja & Martin from my first initial inquiry to the breakfast in the car they gave us on our drive back to the UK simply could not have been more helpful.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank 186264Hester44
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 17 September 2010

I highly recommend Piz Ela hotel (and Bergün and the Graubünden province and actually the whole Switzerland) because of friendliness of the people, high level quality service and its location, beautiful nature all around!

We spent here 4 nights in mid-August 2010 and everything was absolutely superb.

The booking procedure was smooth and efficient. Cca 1 week before our arrival I booked by phone a double room with washbasin, in a special rate (last minute promotions for weekdays) and my reservation was confirmed by email immediately.
Our dog stayed for free (after our stay in Piz Ela we had to move to Lenzerheide for some personal event. Hotel Kurhaus in Lenzerheide charged us 25 CHF (cca 25 USD) per night for the dog, which was outrageous !)
On arrival we received a lot of useful information and leaflets about the area. The hotel is in the centre of Bergün in a nice old well preserved building, with a restaurant downstairs. Train station was about 5 minutes walk.
Our room was on the third (top) floor - there is no lift, but it was not a problem for us.
Shared WCs and showers the corridor were always spotlessly clean and we never encountered other guests there.
The breakfast was good and the fresh crispy bread …mmm…the best I have ever eaten.
(I might not be impartial though because, in general, I find the food in Switzerland excellent.)
The hotel has a free parking for the guests and a bike/ski storage room.
Additionally as a hotel guest, you have unlimited access to the Darlux chairlift just outside Bergün, that saved us quite some vertical meters on our hiking trips.

I am out of superlatives so I will just finish my review by thanking to Martin and Sonja, the owners, and all their personnel for the fantastic time we had in Piz Ela and around Bergün. We hope to come back next year

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ratje
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bergun
Hotel Albula
#1 of 1 in Monstein
Hotel Ladina
Hotel Ladina
#1 of 3 in Bergun

Been to Hotel Piz Ela? Share your experiences!