“Delightful museum with beautiful and happy dogs” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Martigny
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“Delightful museum with beautiful and happy dogs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

This museum is a great place for a short visit. Located on the fringes of Martigny close to the main road to Italy, it is easily found by car and has a car park next door. This car park is also used by the 'tourist train' that drives up to the Chateau de la Batiaz through town.

The museum itself is delightful, costing 12chf per adult, you get an opportunity to walk through the kennels and gardens on the ground floor and then view the permanent exhibition on the first floor. The second floor space is currently being used for a temporary exhibition of glass.

The dogs all look very healthy and happy, have plenty of space and I was pleased to see on two different occasions pairs of dogs being taken off site for exercise. There was the occasional and informal chance to interact with adult dogs as they were being taken out for exercise.

The permanent exhibition is very interesting with a mixture of short films, paintings, models and displays exploring the history of the breed and the area. I should mention that most of the language used is French with few translations into English, German etc.

My two boys and I spent a little over an hour at the museum, we didn't use the cafe. But we had a lovely visit and my older boy (11 years old) in particular adored the digs that we saw.

In addition to the museum, next door is the Roman Ampitheatre and across the road are the remains of the Roman road that connected Rome and London. If you continue to walk through the underpass (5mins) you'll come to the tepidarium, well worth the short walk.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Steve C

• Korean first
wales
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Really interesting .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was in an easy to find spot with a car park across the road. The Amphitheatre was right next door. We arrived at about 12.30 so thought it best to eat before going in, but the menu in the café was mostly meals, when all we wanted was a snack / baguette , so in the end gave it a miss.
There was a very interesting film to see in the foyer, but no English subtitles, luckily my friend was able to translate it for me.
The puppies were very good fun, and still at the play fighting stage. A couple of the adult dogs were there and we met one who was getting ready to go for a walk, very friendly and used to being fussed by the children.
The museum displays were excellent, and gave the full history of the search dogs, there were many historical details that I would never have known about. Also there was a film about the recreation of the journey of Hannibal across the Alps.
I would recommend it to all ages,

Visited June 2014
3 Thank yamahaaa
Redding, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Nice museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stopped at the St. Bernard museum on our way out of town and were glad we did. We didn't get to pet the dogs, but got to enjoy seeing some darling puppies. They provided English guides, which was nice. It was a informative visit.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank divenut95
Le Brassus, Switzerland
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I love dogs and this place is great. It's a shame you can't actually play with them a bit more but then with all the people that visit, it is understandable - the dogs would probably just go mad. When we visited, there were two 1 and a half month old puppies left and they were absolutely gorgeous. I would love to have done the walk but that's only on in the summer, which I find is a shame. Other than that, I find the place great - it's clean and dogs have enough space to run around (even though they were a bit lazy).

Visited May 2014
Geneva, Switzerland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“A bit disappointing, good for children though”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was looking forward to this museum because I love animals and particularly dogs. In fact I get even more excited than kids sometimes. I thought I could hug or even touch a little Sr. Bernard puppy but they told us that unfortunately you they only have puppies there after April for some months. I was little disappointed to be honest but I don't want to be unfair. I guess it's a good afternoon activity with your children on a rainy/cold day.

Visited March 2014