“Trouble on the Horizon?”
Review of Famous Dave's

Famous Dave's
Ranked #6 of 22 Restaurants in Oakton
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 8 February 2015

My family and I enjoy Famous Dave's for a casual meal of BBQ. We have very few places around here to satisfy our craving for it. We've always liked the variety of the menu and have tried many of the items. It's not like eating BBQ in the south, but it's not bad. They have good pulled pork, good brisket, good smoked sausage, and delicious ribs. I can't knock it. But...I'm a little worried.

Our last meal there I noticed they have changed how they serve the food. First, the servers are all wearing black pants and black polo shirts, instead of the jeans and t-shirts they used to wear. Second, they no longer have all of their sauces on the table, just two, though you can ask for the others. Finally, when the brought the food, they are starting to use smaller plates, reminiscent of Ruby Tuesdays. Square, white, plastic plates. They are trying to give the food a different look with this type of service.

We asked our server and she told us that this was true. The former CEO of McDonalds was now in charge of Famous Dave's and was making some changes to the brand.

I don't know about you, but when I go to a BBQ restaurant, I don't want fancy, not that all of that is fancy...but I think you know what I mean. BBQ is meant to be a about as simple and "un-fancy" as it gets. It's get your hands greasy and sticky kind of food served by very casual-looking folks. Not served on a white platter, to an uncluttered table, by servers in all black. Save that for someplace else.

Don't get me wrong, the food is still the same and still delicious, but I worry about this "re-branding" and whether it will ruin something that should just be very simple and delicious.

1  Thank cbozman

Reviewed 3 November 2014

Not much of a meat eater myself went to Dave's with the family - they loved it. Everyone enjoyed ribs, and chicken - the cornbread was moist (and I suspect loaded with butter), baked beans lip smacking good and family friendly atmosphere. I had salmon, not great, but acceptable. What do ya want, this is a barbecue joint and eat meat when dining there - this is no place for a vegetarian!

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We went there for lunch. Food and service was good. Nice place to hang out with no crowd during lunch

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have been to several of this chain's locations throughout the United States and I have to admit, they are consistent with the quality of their food. In fact, with the exception of the sticker shock eating at Famous Dave's near Times Square in New York (it is nearly twice as expensive as the other locations I have visited), I have had a great experience at each. This location was no different.

Service was efficient and friendly (and she made my day asking me for ID when I ordered a mixed drink given that I am in my mid 40s).

As a creature of habit, I had the Beef Brisket and St. Louis Style Ribs. The Brisket cooked well, reminded me of steak (which good brisket, cooked well should) and it was moist and flavorful. The ribs too were meaty and moist. The collards were pretty good, but I will go back with my tradition and get beans or corn....I just wanted some leafy greens yesterday.

Another great experience and I will be back when I am in the area again.

Dave's just does not disappoint.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

It's a chain, so you know what you can get. If you like this style of barbecue, then you can get what you like. Be careful of the hot sauces! Don't say you weren't warned! And the pickles are different from most places with a little chili spice as well and the "bread & butter" pickle spice.