“Great Staff, Great Food”

Landgoed Kasteel Oud-Poelgeest
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Oegstgeest
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Stayed there various times before. Rooms convenient, not high class, but good value for money. Easy to get there from the trainstation; nice environment; internet in the room quite quick and at no add costs

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Landgoed Kasteel Oud-Poelgeest

Reviewed 18 April 2010

I usually don’t write reviews, but in this case I feel that this hotel may have received overly critical reviews. I stayed at the hotel for a conference a few days ago, and from my arrival, the staff was very helpful and accommodating. Due to the early-arrival of my transatlantic flight, they graciously accommodated my very early arrival (8:30 am), which I had pre-arranged with them.

My room was a bit small by North American standards, but this is not North America. The room was very clean, had lots of natural light and the bed (twin) was comfortable. The only small complaint is that the workspace in my room was very limited and uncomfortable, which made it difficult to work for extended periods of time. I need to mention also that Wi-Fi access was excellent, and I had no issues connecting to my corporate network or using VoIP applications.

Overall accommodations (conference rooms, gym, etc) and food were very good. The buffet breakfast and lunches offered a nice variety to suit most palates, and sit-down dinners offered the quality and creativity you could expect from upper-end restaurants. Since our meals were arranged with the conference, I cannot comment on the restaurant’s schedule for leisure travelers. The hotel is located about 20-30 min away (walking) from the center of Leiden, where other restaurants can be found if needed.

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, especially for business travel in the area.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank TAMember54
Reviewed 14 May 2009

One of my best experiences at a hotel. If you have a chance, book it! The internet connection was episodic but who cares in this wonderful setting.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank maimutzacelmare
Reviewed 21 March 2008

I stayed in this hotel in April 2007 for a getaway with my girlfriend. We were pleasantly surprised by the surroundings of the hotel. A nice park, and the hotel was near the castle. Checking in was ok as it was very quiet at the time of arriving.

I asked them in advance to put the two twin beds together. Unfortunately the beds were still apart when we arrived. Also the room was pretty small. On the other hand the breakfast was good, with lots of choice.

When I asked the reception staff on Saturday evening if we could leave our luggage on Sunday morning and pick it up again in the end of the afternoon he said it was no problem. But when I wanted to bring in the luggage the next morning they told me the hotel was closed altogether on Sunday afternoons. So that was the second bad experience. Now we had to carry our luggage around all day.

All together: good hotel, but reception service is only poor

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2007

Stayed here for 4 nights after escaping from Golden Tulip Leiden.
Fantastic place to stay: castle in the park, surrounded by trees, ponds and old buildings. Castle is built in 1660. Beautifull place to walk at morning or evening. Fresh air, not crowded, some 200 meters from the road.
Rooms are OK ( twin room ) with separate toilet and bathroom. Average sized and with direct exit to hotels internal garden.
Sauna and gym are free, wireless internet is free as well as parking. Breakfast is not rich enough, but selection is OK and everything is fresh.

Service at reception was OK, no complains at all.
Would stay here again next time to Leiden.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 29 April 2007

We have just come back from a very pleasant long weekend break at this hotel. We re-booked with this hotel, for many reason, one being within walking distant of Leiden, good value with breakfast included,
no extra fees for parking and most important for us, peace and quiet in beautiful surroundings. This hotel is part of the coach house, which is situated in the grounds of the Castle. The 45 clean modern rooms are over two floors; ours had a balcony and views over the garden. The rooms are a suitable size (unless you are into ballroom dancing), with comfortable twin beds, good size wardrobe and a wet room with a separate toilet. The continental buffet breakfast, is taken in the coach house, which consists of the usual assorted rolls,
breads, hams, cheese, cereals, fruit, etc. Coffee and hot water (for tea) pots are on your table, a member of staff is at hand if extra coffee is required. We did not use the restaurant for lunch or evening meal, as we very busy visiting the local area. We were advised that they do a special three course evening meal for hotel guests, but check at reception regarding opening times and booking a table etc. Most of the guests staying for the weekend were middle aged or older from the Netherlands or Germany, we were the only Brits.

All members of staff spoken English and were helpful. More details of
the hotel can be found on their website.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2006

We went to this hotel for one night because we were not yet able to check inn at our final hotel (De Beukenhof at Oegstgeest). Luckily we only spent one night! I am a very experienced traveller with an "open mind". Unfortunately I have to say that you need a really great open mind for this hotel. When you visit the website you see a lovely castle in beautiful surroundings. And indeed it is a lovely surroundings. But, when you enter the hotel (the new buidling in front of the castle!) your romantic mood is over before you know it.

No friendly or helpfull staff. The rooms are very, very small. The bathroom and shower are a real joke! Unbelievable we had to pay € 88,00 a night. Unbelievable they advertise with 3 or 4 stars! The next morning we had to wait for our breakfast although we were not to early. The breakfast is poor. I was sitting next to 2 American families and I was ashamed because of the qualtity of this breakfast. There are so much more hotels in Holland that give more value for less money to our tourist. Unfortunately we forgot a bag with some stuff and a present. We phoned the hotel after two days and drove back to get this bag. When we arrived at home we noticed that the present was taken out of the bag. I did send two (very correct!) e-mails but the answer was unbelievable vulgar! I have written a lot of reviews at Tripadvisor but have to say that this is my first bad review. Don't let you fool around by the website or some advertisement. Go somewhere else!!!!!!

8  Thank Hollidayman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oegstgeest
Hilton Garden Inn Leiden
Van der Valk Hotel Leiden
Boutique Hotel d'Oude Morsch
Bastion Hotel Leiden Oegstgeest
City Resort Hotel Leiden

Been to Landgoed Kasteel Oud-Poelgeest? Share your experiences!