“Bad Decision!!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My Boyfriend & I wanted to go out for a meal. It took us all week to decide where to go... finally we decided on Bengal Palace. What a bad decision that was!! When we arrived we were shown to a table in the corner and given two menus. In a couple of seconds we realised how cold it was in there! Some people were sat with their coats on, I don't think they have heard of central heating!! We were then asked what drinks we would like and did we want poppadoms? The two cokes we received were flat and we waited at least 15 minutes until we received the poppadoms. The waitress did have to ask 'it was two you ordered right?' Very unprofessional! While we were deciding on our main course we started on the poppadoms, we quickly realised how soft they were. On the plus side the mango chutney was nice! We chose our main courses and waited patiently for them to arrive. Just before they did our plates and chutneys were taken away and a very cold 'hot plate' arrived on our table. I thought the idea was to keep the meals hot but this one seemed to have been kept in a freezer! My Boyfriends main course arrived and I was told mine would follow. Five minutes later when his was cold I received mine. No spoon in that one though... I was obviously supposed to just tip it onto my plate! Once we had dished up our meals I soon realised my rice was cold and stodgy, the main was too hot and spicy for what it actually was and the bombay potatoes were rock hard and cold. My Boyfriends main was the same as what he usually has even though he ordered something entirely different. Not sure what happened there! His Naan Bread was nice though! Oh and another note... be careful of the cutlery my spoon had what looked like a bogey on it!! After giving up on my meal we sat and waited patiently for our plates to be taken away. This took at least half an hour, baring in mind there were only four other tables occupied I thought this was very extreme!! All members of staff did notice we had finished a number of times but one was more interested in packing glasses away, another just wandering around with no purpose and the other, well, she was too busy wiping her nose on her sleeve!! We thought it was best to exit before I complained so we went up to pay our bill. Nobody asked first or last whether everything was OK with our food. We were charged £30 for the worst meal I'd ever eaten and were asked if we wanted some 'choccies' with our bill. No thanks I'm not 5 years old! We were glad to get back in the car and get as far away as possible. One place we will never visit again and would definitely not recommend!!

4  Thank DoubleB4513

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere in the Bengal Palace is very friendly and the food was very nice I like the fact the waiter asked you what you would like and also he was very polite would definitely use again

1  Thank James S
Reviewed 18 September 2013

What a Fantastic place to eat, the service is second to none, waiters go out of their way to please, the food, have to say one of the best curries we've ever had, our Daughter wasn't sure which curry to pick, waiter asked what her taste preference was, from that he suggested from the menu for her and got it spot on, and when the bill came I had to double take, less than £45 for the three of us all being Adult portions plus drinks, would not hesitate to go back.

1  Thank Leewallis
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Nice place

Very pleasant hard working owner.
I have had my best Indian curry here but unfortunately my worst too!
Bearing in mind both meals were the same they were worlds apart.
I am not sure if the chef changes from night to night but the standard of the food certainly does.
Hard to be harsh about such nice hard working people but if I have a meal I enjoy here I expect it to be the same or very simalar on my next visit.

Keep up the hard work but try to be consistent please

We will be back

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I have a couple of food allergies which makes dining out a complete nightmare. I usually opt for the safe option of plain grilled fish when eating out which gets boring after a while. This restaurant took the time to talk me through the menu and suggest dishes they could tweak to suit me. They were very helpful and I think this is the most selection I have had in a restaurant. We were on holiday on the island and I did not enjoy Newport but this restaurant made the trip to the town worth it.