“Good to see improvement”
Review of The Eight Bells

The Eight Bells
Ranked #20 of 69 Restaurants in Newport
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Eight Bells is a family-orientated pub in the heart of the village of Carisbrooke. Serving popular pub classics and daily specials, all made in-house. Vegetarian and wheat free options available, a dedicated childrens menu, plus a selection of yummy hot and cold desserts. Two-meat carvery available Sundays 12-3pm. Served with crispy roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings and fresh veg. Great outdoor garden, including play area for children, set aside Carisbrooke pond. Plentiful parking and wheelchair accessible.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Came here for lunch last week with my friend who has small children. It was a hot day, the children were getting wound up and us adults needed a break!
I suggested the eight bells as I remembered the huge outdoor children's area! I thought this would occupy the children and we could sit and relax whilst supervising them from our table.

When we got there it was busy outside as it appeared lots of others had the same idea! We were lucky enough to grab the final empty outdoor table, complete with sunshade and perfect view of the garden (easy child watching!)

I will admit that I was pessimistic at first as the last few visits had been disappointing and I have not heard particularly brilliant things about it since, but I thought that at best it would keep the kids quiet and I could go for something safe on the menu!

We were served at the bar by an older guy, who appeared to be working alone, he was painstaking slow (slightly grumpy) and considering we are into the summer holidays, its lunch time and busy, perhaps he would have benefited from a hand or two!

We ordered our food from the menu, which I was pleased to see had been updated. I had a chicken ceaser salad and my friend went for the pasta special, whilst the children had chicken nuggets and a kids lasagne which I was pleasantly surprised to see was offered as a child's option!

We went back outside with drinks and the food arrived in no time at all!

My salad was lovely, my friends pasta was also amazing and the kids food was as you would expect, typically the kids had some bread and chips leftover which they fed to the ducks, this added a nice highlight for them to the lunch.
Whilst the ducks and swans in the adjacent pond were friendly and good fun, a slight downer on sitting outside is the demon seagulls! They literally steal things from unattended plates, regardless if there still someone sat at the table! I imagine this is a by product from the duck feeding, and probably there was a sign somewhere to discourage people from doing so, I didn't see it if there was, and the seagulls are just a drop in the ocean of a good meal!

Would I come here again? As a couple who eat out 5 nights in 7, we are often looking for new placers to try and up until now we have been avoiding the Eight Bells, often grunting if friends happen to suggest it! But, after this experience I will 100% be dragging my partner along to show him the positive change!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

It’s difficult to know how to describe the Eight Bells. I know it’s a pub because they have a bar and they serve beer, but that is about the only clue. From the road, the frontage of the 8 Bells looks really uncared for, but inside, it is all very new and shiny with wooden floors and smart furniture, but at the same time, almost sterile and soulless. It just doesn’t feel like a pub inside, more like a very smart cafe that happens to serve beer.
Tonight was our third visit whilst we are on holiday, staying in Carisbrooke and we decided to give the food a go. We had booked a table, but didn’t need to and chose to sit out in the large garden.
The menu is standard pub fare with a few specials to choose from. We selected the liver bacon & mash, cod & chips, macaroni cheese & garlic bread and the BBQ chicken melt.
It was plentiful, hot and as described on the menu. It was OK, but that is all.
The staff were friendly, but could perhaps do with some further training on helping keep the pub looking cared for. For example, all the time we were sat in the garden, there were tables that were still covered in glasses and other debris. There were also several seagulls hovering around looking for food scraps and occasionally swooping down to the tables. Despite the waitress coming to our table three times, she always went back empty handed and the other tables in the garden remained uncleared all the time we were there.
I might go back to the pub for a drink as its local to where we are staying, though the Goddard’s beer tonight was flat and perhaps getting to the end of the barrel, but I wouldn’t bother with the food again.

2  Thank cjlb
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Went here with family on a Saturday night. We've been here about five times for a meal since Christmas this year.
The food has always been top quality, always hot, fresh and very plentiful.
This latest time I had Cajun Sea Bream off the specials menu on the chalk board by the bar. I was a great choice as it was really nice and a good change from the standard menu.
The Saturday night had a lady singer singing to a backing tape and she had a good voice so we stayed for an hour after our meal for a few extra drinks to listen to her music.
In general, whatever you eat, the portion sizes are massive, even the light bites are huge.
The garden is very nice, good to keep the kids entertained so you can relax.
The staff were welcoming and attentive.
If you haven't been before I would deff recommend The Eight Bells.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I love the Eight Bells! I have been coming here for about 24 years now so have seen it through some changes, but it's still one of my favourite places to go on the Isle of Wight for food & drink.

Since the new team took over a while ago now, they have done what not many achieve, they have made it even better. The food there is varied, great value for money, they have smaller appetite meals available too (which to me are as big as what you'd expect for the full sized meals sometimes!) & very tasty.

There is a large outdoor area next to the river where you can watch ducks & many other birds congregate, and apart from the many picnic tables to choose from there's a really large children's play area. Now, I know this might put some people off, but it really does keep them amused & happy & is a great addition to this pub as the children do not get bored. Now you can even sit on the roof of the pub since it was opened up to all instead of just being for the rooms use that you can book for occasions upstairs, so it's a lovely place to sit out & enjoy the sun from.

On Sundays there's a delicious carvery, and every day there's a large board of specials too.

The staff are lovely & helpful, just what you would ask for. I can't fault the place really lol.

So, from me & my husband and friends, this is really a great place to come to to relax, drink or dine.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Went here last week found the food was good and home made children's portions were good and all had empty plates at the end. Good play area for the children