“Lunch”

Ranked #6 of 74 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$16 - US$25
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A wonderful view from this child friendly, very welcoming pub on the Isle of Wight, UK.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Lunch for a couple. Spacious pub with lovely views and outside garden. Fresh eggs to buy, no disabled toilet and steps to restaurant.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Blacksmiths (previously the Blacksmith's Arms) was taken over in 2017 and it always was very good but now it is excellent in every way. The decor is subtle and light. The tables are neatly presented with fresh flowers and a mixture of vintage chairs which looks charming and fits in well with the building. The views are great and you can peruse the estuary with its boats while you eat. There are lots of tables outside and dogs are welcome. There were specials as well as the main menu (lots of choice even for vegetarians). My daughter and I had • Feta, spinach and pine nut filo pie, with pesto cream sauce, potatoes and a bowl of 5 different vegetables and all for £11. Wow! - beautifully presented and cooked and great portion size. My husband had Newchurch pie – a short crust pastry pie, filled with Isle of Wight lamb-shank meat and spinach with potatoes and vegetables – an absolute bargain at £13 (and there was the option of a smaller portion for £8). Fantastic food, attentive service (but not rushed). We'll be back!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We are on holiday and were recommended this pub (now known as The Blacksmiths)for dinner.
The food was indeed delicious, hot and quite clearly fresh!
My husband and I shared the seafood platter as a starter and it didn’t disappoint.
I then had the Belly of Pork which made me groan with delight at each mouthful; the pork was so tender, the mash potato creamy, the gravy thick (as gravy should be in my humble opinion) and the huge slab of crackling was perfection. My husband had the lamb pie with roast potatoes and jus and he inhaled his food with pure pleasure. It was all accompanied with fresh steamed vege that was slightly al dente (again the best way in my opinion) and it was all rounded off with a shared piece of the Salted caramel banoffee pie!
Heaven!!
I should also mention that the service was on point. The young man who served us was very efficient, professional and polite and wouldn’t be out of place working in a 5 star restaurant in London with his skills!
Comfort food with a touch of class.
I highly recommend.

1  Thank LadyFarquar69
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Now known as The Blacksmiths which i presume is the work of the new owners. We’d never stopped off here before so don’t know what it was like before.

Staff were all realy pleasant and presume he was the owner, or at least he acted like he was!! Was also a very pleasant helpful chap.

I had the special’s Cajun Chicken which was delicious and a massive portion i couldnt finish. Hubby had slow cooked pork belly which he claimed was the best food he’d had on the island.

Kids meal were also generous portions and went down a storm with them.
Only suggestion would be to have some healthy or none-chip meals for kids. Not all kids like chips or their parents dont want them to constantly be fed chips (like us!)

Cute play area for them to charge off some energy was a great idea and a stunning view for sitting day dreaming.

Lovely pub and will definately be visiting again when back on the island. Have already recommended!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I have finally popped into the Blacksmiths Arms, I have been to their other establishment, the Pointers Inn which is great and never fails to offer great food and service.

We came in last night, Wednesday with family for birthday meals. There was eight of us, originally was 11 but others were unfortunately ill.

Good to say the food and service lives up to their other establishment. Firstly the service was spot on, Hayley and the other server which I didn’t get the name of was very attentive and made sure everything was perfect for the table. I would like to thank Hayley for the recommendation on the Newchurch pie, nicely filled with melt in the mouth lamb shank. The pastry crust was just right, nice and crumbly, light and not over-worked. Vegetables were perfect, not over cooked.
A couple on the table had the pork belly and scallop special, a great alternative to the usual surf and turf. Both were very happy with their meals.
Not one person on the table had any negative feedback to give, the desserts all went down well and the kids were very happy too.

Very good value for money, great ingredients, cooked well with good portions. The perfect combination in my opinion for successful establishments.

Overall a very pleasant experience with a varied menu and special board. Including local ales on tap.

Will be back again.