“Quirky, independent cafe, excellent food”
Review of Primrose

Primrose
Ranked #23 of 71 Restaurants in Newport
Description: Primrose is a small Deli, serving lovely coffee, cakes and light lunches. It sells bread and other deli items, with local specialities. It has a rustic charm and a very secluded and pretty garden in which to enjoy refreshments.
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I walked past the Primrose cafe on another visit to Newport - on their board outside they were advertising fresh scones on sale, and there was a queue of customers, which was a good sign. So today I went in for a coffee. I didn't have a scone, as I was tempted by their freshly made sandwich selection and mini carvery where they offer a different roast meat in a bun each today. Today's special was roast pork, crackling and apple sauce, all in one bun! Mine was amazing, tender meat, delicious crackling, a little more apple sauce would have been good. My coffee latte was hot and huge and almost overflowing. They also sell home made bread and cakes. There seemed to be a good trade in people buying takeaway food, too. The staff were friendly, there were enough seats, and lots of things to look at while you are there, such as various oils and condiments and coffees for sale, also posh magazines. I will definitely return!

1  Thank Georgina M

Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

I used to use this deli almost every day. When it first opened it was friendly and good value for money.
Over the months I feel that the customer service has gone down hill, it's almost like the staff are annoyed about having to serve you and make you feel like you're in the way. There have been occasions where the manageress has told members of staff off in front if customers, on one occasion the manageress told me she was going to fire a member if staff because she was useless. I think it's highly unprofessional to discuss such matters with your customers.
On another occasion I placed my order for a sweet chilli chicken wrap and I asked the you lad to not put too much sauce in the wrap because the time before there was so much sauce it completely overpowered the dish and he rolled his eyes like I'd asked a really unreasonable thing! The staff can't seem to multi task so if you're in a rush don't bother. The food is of a very high quality but I'm afraid there are other places in newport that do equally nice food but with better customer
Service.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We really like Primrose. The coffee is gorgeous, the staff very pleasant. The garden is charming and the food very good. They offer a wide selection of deli items. Not too many inside tables, but that is being addressed. All in all, a great place for a good cup of coffee and so much more. The bread for sale is delicious.