“Let down”

The Stag
The Stag
Ranked #5 of 16 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 January 2014

On the 22 Jan my daughter and I decide to try The Stag for a mid week meal. we sat in the bar area which was very comfortable, well decorated and clean. The dining area is in a plastic conservatory with little atmosphere. We chose from the specials board which is in the main dining area above a dining table. Although there was nobody sitting there while we stood and read the board, had there have been it would have made both us and them feel uncomfortable I'm sure. I chose pork tenderloin for £13.25 and my daughter, pork sliders at £14.95. For this price we expected a good standard of food. It was. The food was fresh, tasty and nicely presented. What we had a problem with was the price for the sliders. Two homemade pork sliders turned up (portion size not worth the money) with chips and red onion relish. When my daughter asked for some mayo we were presented with plastic sachets. I must say that at least they were Heinz plastic sachets of Mayo. (I have no problem with sachets of sauces when I am paying cafe prices). Later, when I paid the £56.60 for two mains and 4 glasses of white wine , I commented on the 'sachet' presentation only to be told that they do actually have homemade mayo which they could have brought out. Why didn't they then? To charge 5 p short of £15.00 for what was served was a joke.
In short, food was good but didn't reflect the price.
As this bar is part of a chain, we are now put off going to the other three if this one was anything to go by.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nik L
There are newer reviews for The Stag

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a trip to the Isle of Wight, spending two nights at the Stag. We booked very last minute on Late Rooms and found the Stag at a very low price and with decent reviews but we were skeptical as we didn't have much time to research... Wow were we pleasantly surprised. It's a lovely place with helpful and friendly people. We stayed in the twin room which was modern, clean and perfectly laid out. The included breakfast was incredible with local produce used where possible and very generous portions!

Unfortunately we picked an awful couple of days to visit the IOW weather-wise (flooding, roads and attractions closed, etc) so we were restricted in what we could do but the Stag was a great place to stay and relax out of the rain!

Would definitely recommend and stay there again, thank you for a lovely couple of days.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lizziepop88
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in the twin room 602. Lovely sized room and bathroom(complete with full bath). Breakfast excellent,with good choice,and evening meal also extremely good.
All the staff were very helpful, friendly and courteous. Thoroughly recommended.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed at the Stag when our granddaughter was born, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly and made my wife and I feel very welcome. the food was excellent and well presented the facilities were good and the accommodation was of a high standard. I doubt we would ever stay anywhere else from now on.
the dining area has been very well designed and makes for a relaxing meal. we found the prices of the meals really good value but then we did take advantage of a offer that was current at the time,however, because the food was so good I would have been happy to pay more.

Room Tip: The room adjacent to the main boiler system makes the bathroom very cosy for taking shower ect
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Didnt stay just ate in the bar/ restaurant...
Examples of over pricing were £17 for a bottle of unmemorable, unlabelled house 'Riviera Merlot'. £1.40 for a baby tonic!!!
We ordered the pork tenderloin with spinach, mushrooms and 'game chips'. The food, what there was of it, was good but the chips were 4 crisps on top of a meal that would have looked lost on even a small saucer. Too late by then to start ordering accompaniments....This cost £12.95 and we had to have a proper meal when we got home!
Shame, as we wanted this to be our lovely new local where we could entertain friends....sadly not at these prices and portion sizes...we had experienced this once before under the Stag's new management, when we had sea bass and needed to order chunks of bread to fill up with and absorb the sauce...we thought it was a one-off but know now it was the norm. Perhaps they are trying to ensure we had starters and puds? Maybe, but we won't be returning and will be putting the word out 'on the street'!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

We've not stayed here as only live 10 minutes away but have been several times for meals and drinks which have been consistently good. The food is fresh and tasty.
We have taken other members of the family they've also enjoyed it and all felt it was good value for money.
I'm confused by the terrible comment as it has no substance as to what was actually wrong with the food etc, some people can be quite nasty which is a shame when you see how hard staff especially chef's work in places like this, though I'm sure most of us have the common sense to ignore them and make our own minds up.
Enjoy!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Went here with a group of 10 and all of us had a different meal, what can I say excellent food and great value!!! The steak pie looked and tasted amazing as did the Lamb shank dish. I would truly recommend going here for some classy food :-)))

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Travelodge Newport Isle of Wight
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
One Holyrood B&B
One Holyrood B&B
#1 of 16 in Newport

Been to The Stag? Share your experiences!