“Solo travellers - Please book double room and add single occupancy”
Review of The Stag

The Stag
The Stag
Ranked #5 of 15 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Single room is a broom cupboard, dark, no windows, paper thin walls, freezing and noisy. Apparently rated 4* by AA.
Just book a double room for single occupancy

Pub super
GREAT ATMOSPHERE
Hospitality super
Staff very friendly

Room Tip: Book a double room with single occupancy
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 April 2014

After a long, grumpy drive to Isle of Wight I'd booked The Stag on lastminute. Arrived, friendly reception, no hassle whatsoever , nice, clean comfortable rooms, great service, had a couple of drinks with a nice view and retired into a very comfortable bed. Woke up in the morning, fantastic shower (important!) and went down for a well cooked, tasty breakfast with great service again. Bad/Poor/Lazy service really annoys me so I always make sure I comment when you're treated well and The Stag did exceptionally in every area. I couldn't recommend it enough.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We booked a table at the Stag for 4 people to celebrate a special anniversary on a Friday night in April dining at 7.30 pm,we were the only diners in the restaurant there was no atmosphere at all,the furniture looked very tatty and nothing seemed to match.All the cutlery was brought to the table in a battered aluminium bucket in which were sachets of tomato ketchup,it was more akin to a transport café than a fine dining restaurant, even some flowers on the table or even a candle would have enhanced the whole experience.
The food itself was ok and the staff were very pleasant,just a shame that more effort is not made to differentiate between lunchtimes and evening dining- very disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My partner and I went here the other evening for a drink after an after dinner walk. The wine was lovely and my partner enjoyed his Doomar. The service was exquisite, served by Craig and atmosphere lovely. We have eaten here on a few occasions and the food it divine. A great little pub to visit weather for a meal or just a drink after a walk.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We did not know what to expect as the photos of the hotel made it look quite new. The room we had on the first floor was quiet, large and airy. The ensuite was of good size with a good shower. I am always wary when staying at pubs, being in a room over the bar, as I expect a lot of noise. I need not have worried as It was so quiet, could not even hear the traffic on the main road nearby. We ate in the restaurant and the food, that was part of the deal was really good. I regretted having the food deal, as although it was extremely good, the specials board was brilliant. There was also a couple of good cask ales in the bar. If I return this way I will definitely eat there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Just had two nights here on a business trip.

Loved this place - the room was lovely. The staff were great hosts and great fun (Craig & Matt). Nothing was too much trouble for them. Even arranged an early breakfast to the room, made a late night sandwich (which was delicious) for myself and a colleague.

Full cooked breakfast was fab too - local, high quality produce.

I will most definitely stay here when ever visiting the Isle of Wight on business. Can't recommend highly enough.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 January 2014

On the 22 Jan my daughter and I decide to try The Stag for a mid week meal. we sat in the bar area which was very comfortable, well decorated and clean. The dining area is in a plastic conservatory with little atmosphere. We chose from the specials board which is in the main dining area above a dining table. Although there was nobody sitting there while we stood and read the board, had there have been it would have made both us and them feel uncomfortable I'm sure. I chose pork tenderloin for £13.25 and my daughter, pork sliders at £14.95. For this price we expected a good standard of food. It was. The food was fresh, tasty and nicely presented. What we had a problem with was the price for the sliders. Two homemade pork sliders turned up (portion size not worth the money) with chips and red onion relish. When my daughter asked for some mayo we were presented with plastic sachets. I must say that at least they were Heinz plastic sachets of Mayo. (I have no problem with sachets of sauces when I am paying cafe prices). Later, when I paid the £56.60 for two mains and 4 glasses of white wine , I commented on the 'sachet' presentation only to be told that they do actually have homemade mayo which they could have brought out. Why didn't they then? To charge 5 p short of £15.00 for what was served was a joke.
In short, food was good but didn't reflect the price.
As this bar is part of a chain, we are now put off going to the other three if this one was anything to go by.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family