“very good”

The Stag
The Stag
Ranked #5 of 16 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 June 2014

For years this pub has been very bad and although I live nearby I paid two visits for meals and gave up. I wanted to see how the new owners had changed the place
I could not believe when I went it how lovely it all now is..A completely different place. Food and ambience very much improved. Lovely choice on menu
We had an enjoyable meal here on a Friday evening.
yes a glass of wine is a little dearer than some other places, but it was well worth the extra
money, as very good. Sauce sachets do not bother me either, as they are hygienic and save
waste.
If you went in the bad old days, give it another try.
Unfortunately I am working away at present, otherwise I would be eating there regularly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Single room is a broom cupboard, dark, no windows, paper thin walls, freezing and noisy. Apparently rated 4* by AA.
Just book a double room for single occupancy

Pub super
GREAT ATMOSPHERE
Hospitality super
Staff very friendly

Room Tip: Book a double room with single occupancy
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2014

After a long, grumpy drive to Isle of Wight I'd booked The Stag on lastminute. Arrived, friendly reception, no hassle whatsoever , nice, clean comfortable rooms, great service, had a couple of drinks with a nice view and retired into a very comfortable bed. Woke up in the morning, fantastic shower (important!) and went down for a well cooked, tasty breakfast with great service again. Bad/Poor/Lazy service really annoys me so I always make sure I comment when you're treated well and The Stag did exceptionally in every area. I couldn't recommend it enough.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We booked a table at the Stag for 4 people to celebrate a special anniversary on a Friday night in April dining at 7.30 pm,we were the only diners in the restaurant there was no atmosphere at all,the furniture looked very tatty and nothing seemed to match.All the cutlery was brought to the table in a battered aluminium bucket in which were sachets of tomato ketchup,it was more akin to a transport café than a fine dining restaurant, even some flowers on the table or even a candle would have enhanced the whole experience.
The food itself was ok and the staff were very pleasant,just a shame that more effort is not made to differentiate between lunchtimes and evening dining- very disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My partner and I went here the other evening for a drink after an after dinner walk. The wine was lovely and my partner enjoyed his Doomar. The service was exquisite, served by Craig and atmosphere lovely. We have eaten here on a few occasions and the food it divine. A great little pub to visit weather for a meal or just a drink after a walk.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We did not know what to expect as the photos of the hotel made it look quite new. The room we had on the first floor was quiet, large and airy. The ensuite was of good size with a good shower. I am always wary when staying at pubs, being in a room over the bar, as I expect a lot of noise. I need not have worried as It was so quiet, could not even hear the traffic on the main road nearby. We ate in the restaurant and the food, that was part of the deal was really good. I regretted having the food deal, as although it was extremely good, the specials board was brilliant. There was also a couple of good cask ales in the bar. If I return this way I will definitely eat there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Just had two nights here on a business trip.

Loved this place - the room was lovely. The staff were great hosts and great fun (Craig & Matt). Nothing was too much trouble for them. Even arranged an early breakfast to the room, made a late night sandwich (which was delicious) for myself and a colleague.

Full cooked breakfast was fab too - local, high quality produce.

I will most definitely stay here when ever visiting the Isle of Wight on business. Can't recommend highly enough.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Wheatsheaf Hotel
#7 of 28 in Cowes
Castle Lodge
Castle Lodge
#2 of 16 in Newport

Been to The Stag? Share your experiences!