“Lovely place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Newport Quay Hotel
Ranked #3 of 17 Newport B&B and Inns
“Lovely place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I've stayed here twice before and am returning again at the end of the month. Wonderful, helpful and welcoming staff. Nothing is too much trouble. Comfortable , clean rooms. Lovely breakfast. The only bad point is the limited wifi, but if you're on holiday I don't believe you really need it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paula Jane H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Langdon Hills
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I am writing this review in the hope that both future guests and the owner will find my comments constructive and helpful. I do not know who else was staying at the establishment during our stay however it was the last Friday and Saturday of Cowes Week and this may have something to do with our experience however I can only write about our experience so that is what I am going to do.
We booked a total of 4 rooms - 2 singles, a double and a 4 poster superking. We arrived to a warm welcome and our first impression on looking around the reception hall/front room was of a nice quaint character place - clean and fresh, staff very polite and helpful but no bar or dining facilities beyond those laid out for breakfast so obviously just a big B&B which in my book meant the use of the word "hotel" in the name was a little misleading. Despite this however it was a good start and since we were only staying 2 nights we really only needed 4 things - a comfortable bed with nice pillows and clean sheets, quiet nights so we could sleep, a decent shower and well cooked breakfasts in the morning.
My wife and I were shown to Room 12 which was one of the large rooms on the ground floor towards the back of the building with a 4 poster superking whilst my mum and dad had the singles and my sister and her husband the double, all upstairs. First impression of our room was very favourable (8/10) with huge white bed and very clean modern en-suite with shower in spa bath with a large and small towel (6/10) provided for each of us which whilst well presented weren't as soft as I'd expected. Very nice we thought and we got into bed about 11.00. Although my wife thought the bed and pillows were OK (7/10) I found the bed a bit hard and lumpy (4/10) with the pillows giving no support being thin and foamy (1/10) so I was a bit disappointed. But then the Achilles Heel of the place was revealed as we became aware of the voices of the occupants of the room across the passage and every step that was being taken in the corridor and rooms immediately above us - paper thin walls and ceilings with totally ineffective soundproofing. After enduring the noise for an hour I got up and politely asked our neighbours if they realised how thin the walls were and the problem reduced however we were unable to do anything about the heard of elephants that were clearly living upstairs. The by-now low murmuring from the room next door combined with being able to hear every footfall and creaking floorboard above we had a rotten night (2/10) with the noise from guests above returning in the early hours and then some leaving early in the morning. The shower (8/10) did a bit to restore my spirits even though the shower head was in need of replacement however my mood improved immeasurably with the serving of an excellent individually cooked full English breakfast which was undoubtedly the establishment's best aspect (8/10).
We solved the noise problem on our second night with dampened cotton wool in our ears but the bed and pillows still prevented me from getting a good night's sleep whilst my wife did manage to sleep through.
My sister and her husband slept in the double room above and adjacent to ours (Room 9) and they share the same opinion about the internal noise and my opinion about the bed - being uncomfortable with awful pillows with an additional comment about their shower being tired and desperately in need of some fungicide or a regrout.
Dad had a single room (No 1) at the front which he said suffered from street noise and which he described as a bit pokey with an uncomfortable bed with awful pillows but a nice new shower (with an unmarked extractor fan switch strangely mounted high up the wall outside which required the owner's attendance to find) so his overall opinion of the room was adequate for a 2 day stay but no longer.
Mother said her single room (No 8) which had a double bed, was very nice and although the bed was a bit hard (but she said that was personal preference), had a very nice shower so all in all no complaints.
But everyone agreed the breakfasts were really good and the staff very helpful.
So in summary:
Pros: Welcoming, tidy, clean, with nice although only adequately sized rooms (except for the 4 poster ones and the single No 8) and mostly modern en-suites with plenty of hot water at good pressure, run by very nice people, fantastic breakfast, close to town centre
Cons: Serious noise issue created by thin internal structure of the building, disappointing mattresses and pillows, I couldn't get the WiFi to work, bit pricey for just a B&B.
Would we stay there again? Unfortunately I have to say probably not. Whilst I could put up with the mediocre mattress provided I had decent pillows I just couldn't stand the noise from other guests. And on top of this I think it was very pricey for what is really just a B & B.

Room Tip: If you like hardish beds, thin foamy pillows, aren't bothered by the noise of other guests whils...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
msinx, Owner at Newport Quay Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
The four poster bed was brand new less than 10 days before and the mattress brand new 1000 pocket sprung type (as advertised by Premier Inn!). The pillows were brand new. (Used by 6 people.) I will look at their quality and replace as required.

It is an old building and there is some noise transmission. It does vary depending on the guests in the upper rooms. I take your point however and we have a program in November of noise insulation which should reduce some of the problems you have mentioned.

The ventilation fan had been switched off at the isolator outside the shower room' I am sorry it wasn't spotted before you occupied the room.

Thank you for your feedback.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Nice place. However, the wifi was only free for a limited allowance and I have stayed at other similar places which give free unlimited internet. So this is where they could improve. It would be nice to have fish available on the breakfast meenu, which is healthier than sausages & bacon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were on the Isle of wight for a concert so not too worried about full hotel facilities but apart from there being no evening meal/dinner facilities it was pretty good. We arrived and had to wait (as we were very early) due to a repair being done to the curtain rail in our room, we were well looked after and provided with a cup of tea while we waited. The room was soon available and off we went - we had booked one of the better rooms (4 poster bed) which was at the back of the property on the ground floor so we didn't have the noise issue that others mentioned.
room was not small but a good size. Our only criticism would be the lack of security if you had the windows open whilst sleeping - no way to shut/clamp window partly open so you either get too warm or take a chance on honest locals - it was very hot whilst we were there so this is why I mention this issue. Breakfast was good and served quickly and with enough attention.
Would probably have thought someone should have asked us if our stay had been OK but they didn't so no opportunity to make comment re window to the owners.
It rates as average as a hotel but probably better than average as a B&B.

Room Tip: Get one at the back - we found that a quite location
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ferndown, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Got a nice 4 poster bed room just 2 days before we travelled. Welcome was very friendly, staff were very pleasant, breakfast excellent. Room was "down the garden" but not a problem, as this meant we were not troubled by any road noise. One slight negative was the en suite was down 3 steps which could be a problem with "older" guests (I missed the last one on a middle of the night visit!). The free Wi-Fi only allowed one usage, so no chance of using it in the evening. As we only needed the one night, we found all quite acceptable.

Room Tip: Ask for 4 poster bed, as it was a quiet room, away from the road.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Turned up early to check in said sorry for this is it okay,got the response of we don't get any rest around here not a good start.taken to room by gentleman owner very pleasant guy room very clean lovely bed huge made room slightly small but you only sleep in it ? If you could we were roadside very very noisey loads cars racing past and people walking past till late very disturbing.breackfast was nice and the girls serving were very pleasant and the cleaning lady was very Helpfull . Overall best thing was breackfast but will not be useing again TO NOISEY.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
msinx, Owner at Newport Quay Hotel, responded to this review, 11 January 2015
Thank you for your review. You appear to have stayed in on of our two rooms that are at the front of the hotel. Very occasionally ( I would say that wouldn't I?) boy racers will drive around the town and generate some car noise, it is infrequent and short lived.. The road is generally a back water and quiet but as with any town there are times when it is noisier. To address this last week (January 2014) we finally had made to measure secondary glazing fitted to the windows in these rooms and the noise reduction is amazing. We still have a couple of minor works to complete (ventilation ducts) but once done these rooms will be as quiet as all the others at the rear of the hotel. I am sorry you won't use us again especially after our investment but I can understand 'once bitten twice shy'. Perhaps other guests will counteract this when they have experienced the improvements we have instituted.
Cairns, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Wow where to start, I went over to the Isle of Wight by foot ferry, bought one of those travel anywhere by bus tickets (great and would recommend), so thought I would get rid of my bag so could explore more comfortably. That was my first bad move, was told in no uncertain terms that check in wasn't until 1pm, even though I tried to say was not checking in! Eventually was allowed to leave my bag, although not in any secure area, just the main entrance! Anyway I went off on my merry way, never introduced to anyone. Came back that night and....wow, my room sucked, not wanting to swing cats around as a rule, it was just aswell, to say it was small was an understatement! Why do folks think just because your travelling solo you need everything in minature? The bed!!! Well let's say it sucked big time, it squeaked and groaned every time you moved, I'm not sure but think it may have been on an angle as I felt I was rolling out all the time! If you can get over the squeaking and springs cracking you may be able to sleep, although the rooms are very hot and the seagulls are very loud during hot weather. I know this isn't the hotels fault but the bed is, the sheets didn't even fit! My neighbour obviously was a better complainer than me as he got a full refund of his money, when I complained I basically got a shrug!!! Not acceptable I'm sorry. The only positive I have for this hotel is the breakfast staff, she tried so hard within a really negative environment. My internet expired after a couple hours whilst I was trying to find the next nights accommodation - that in itself was a major inconvenience for the staff to get me more megabytes. My whole experience here is BLAH, find somewhere else, or complain loudly enough to get a full refund, unfortunately I didn't.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank bucketlist14
msinx, Owner at Newport Quay Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
I spoke to you about your stay. . You said 'due to the decor it gave the impression that the room was not clean, but it was clean'. Those were your exact words to me. Our cleaning ladies are meticulous and pride themselves on the rooms.There are sheets protecting the duvets, correct. The breakfast is normally praised. Unlimited cereals, (choice of 5), 3 juices, unlimited filter coffee, white or wholemeal seeded toast, grapefruit. The cooked breakfast is a 'proper' sausage, bacon, tomatoes, eggs various and mushrooms. We are not doing everything 'on the cheap' as you put ti and we care about our rooms, our breakfasts and our guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Premier Inn Isle Of Wight (Newport) Hotel
BEST WESTERN New Holmwood Hotel & Restaurant
Hotel Ryde Castle
Hotel Ryde Castle
#3 of 6 in Ryde
Albert Cottage Hotel
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Royal Esplanade Hotel

Been to Newport Quay Hotel? Share your experiences!