“Disgusting”

and 1 more site!
Calverts Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This hotel should be closed down. It smells , the bath rooms are disgusting. The whole place is depressing. Had to pay when we booked over the phone, would have gone home on next ferry otherwise. Should not be aloud to take peoples money that they have worked for

Room Tip: Don't go
Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony W

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I'm sorry to report that the Calverts Hotel is a shabby, old fashioned hotel with poor services! I stayed there on 26th/27th July 2013 and was disappointed in soooo many ways. Room size...not large. Room Décor.....1970s. Ensuite....really shabby, very slow hot water flow, miniature sink, no shower. Services....well....what services? Breakfast didn't start until 8am because the chef wasn't in before then!!! Coincidentally, parking restrictions outside the hotel STARTED at 8.00am so if you came in a car AND wanted breakfast you would have to nip out and feed the meter. The hotel has no car park of its own, 8am is a ridiculously late breakfast start and , although breakfast is included in the "way too high" £70 a night charge, I couldn't have breakfast on either day as I needed to leave by 8am to get to my destination in time. I was told that not refund would be made for this!
Sadly there are NO good bits to report on this "hotel"!!!

Room Tip: Book another hotel!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My partner and I stayed here during the Isle of Wight Festival and I was a bit concerned having read some of the other reviews about this hotel on the site. However, the hotel was fine. It's an old, rambling building and its decor is a bit tired and in places in need of refurbishment. However it was clean, the staff were polite, helpful and very friendly, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was good and generous. We had an ensuite bath/shower and a flat screen telly (not that we watched it as we were out alot). Some of the reviews on here mention problems with noise from the street, we were on the 2nd floor towards the back and it was lovely and quiet, even with the festival. Since it is such an old rambling building I suspect the hot water problem that other reviews have mentioned is due to low water pressure. To get a hot shower, we found we had to turn on the hot first, wait for it to run through and then add the merest smidgen of cold - if they ever re-plumb they should probably change to a mains pressure system. I would also suggest that they invest in some towel rails or hooks so there is somewhere to hang damp towels in the bathroom. The hotel is very conveniently located within easy walking distance Newport town centre and the shops and pubs and Newport and the Isle of Wight are lovely.

Room Tip: Room away from the main street are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My friend and I used this hotel to go to the Isle Of Wight Festival, as we did not wish to camp in the fields at our age (50's) . The staff were all very nice and friendly which high on my list. The breakfast was quite adequate , I particularly enjoyed the perfectly cooked poached eggs! Also I have to say the Hotel is very well positioned , close to shops, nice walks etc. Indeed my only problem was with the room. It was quite small and got very hot so we had to leave the window open at night. Hence when the extremely loud gulls etc started their dawn chorus at 4am we had little choice but to wake up too. Also the bathroom was very small and no shower, just a bath which took an eternity to fill with enough water to use, and also the bed linen was not exactly clean, there were a few hairs lingering on the sheets, however we were lucky to get a room at that time,(booked nearly a year in advance) so we felt privileged to be there , and it is a very old building so I guess I should not expect too much. And as for the Isle of Wight, I will visit again when I can, it is a beautiful place!!

Room Tip: Our room did not look over the road it was at the back, so maybe those facing the front are better
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Lovely hotel looking good outside
Rooms dated but clean staff very friendly / lovely walks and art in quay area
Restaurants and pubs very close .
Breakfast good lovely service
Tea and coffee in rooms no biscuits ?
My room was top floor and I slept very well double bed mattress very good , had a family room with 1 double and 2 singles the room was very quiet and was to back of building .
We found that the staff were on duty from 7 am through to 4 am yes sorry Claire
Loved our stay and will be going again

Room Tip: A lot of stairs so if your not good on your legs request first floor /
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Apparently this hotel was built in the 1700's some time , I'm not sure if it's been decorated since then .The only saving grace from one star rating was the breakfast , which wasn't bad , nice poached eggs and nice bacon , mind you the coffee resembled muddy river water . As for the rooms you pay for what you get , bathrooms quite horrendous with no shower and who in gods name puts cheap carpet in a bathroom ? Stains abound including the ceiling . Beds more like trampolines that bouncy but the TV was very good . The bar charges silly prices for beer but many pubs nearby , this also means horrendous noise at weekends until about 4am ! Unless you are really desperate for a room avoid Calverts at all costs.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

£36 Bed and Breakfast is pretty cheap by anyones standard and the breakfast was good. Room was cosy, good bed, bathroom was shabby but clean.Try to get a room at the back as at the front of the hotel you can hear all the nightlife at the weekend until 5am as the taxis' seem to queue opposite.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Wheatsheaf Hotel
Royal Esplanade Hotel
The Fountain Inn
The Fountain Inn
#5 of 5 in Cowes

Been to Calverts Hotel? Share your experiences!